AV anyone?????

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

AV anyone?????

Post by Jake »

With this Alternative Vote referendum coming up I really don't have a clue which way to think on the issue so am curious if anyone here has a view either way :?: :?: :?:
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Re: AV anyone?????

Post by suchi »

Well I for one have given this a lot of deep thought and as I've never ever bloody ever voted for fuck all, ('cept a few 8) polls on here). I have effectivly discharged my opinion on the matter. However, I do think people who don't vote should have more of a say! There's a lot of us .... sometimes more than the people who put a kiss against the one that turns 'em on the mostest. It's all wrong I tell ya.... We should vote to have a `none-vote' on the matter. :smt003

.... and if ya think I'm gonna vote on that daft idea you can count me out straight away!
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

We have it here in Ireland.
It dont work look at the mess were in over here.
Stick with one person one vote you carnt go wrong.
Your end up with some one who got the 3rd amout of first votes winning over the person with the most first votes all because they got more second votes.
Its crazy system.Its really is like a runner who comes second winning the race and the guy who won it given second.
Its a bad bad system.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Gotta agree with my 'neighbour' from down South.

Been in operation in N.I. for ages - course it works for the 'two factions' politicians in the North, cos the second, third, etc... vote will still remain along sectarian lines. Therefore it doesn't really matter up 'ere - except you get more MLAs (but under the 'agreement' we have to have full representation for all sectors of the community - so we will have them anyway!!)

Don't agree with it. A fucked up way of voting that only favours politicians - not the man on the street.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

cheers for the feedback guys. Don't ge me wrong I am not basically niave enough to believe that we have any say through voting and would agree with suichi that non voters should get more of a say, but then again voters don't get a say, just the ones with six/seven figure bank balances :o
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

Without getting too involved in the ins & outs, it's a yes from me.

Could well save my constituency from returning the most costly Labour MP in the HoC, Major Eric Joyce.

It makes sure that the person elected does so with 50% of the popular vote, when at present, some are elected on as low as 25% in some cases.

There are better systems available to use, like the single transferable vote, as used in the Scottish Parliament. Where the SNP have quite happily run as a minority Govt for the past 4 years.
TAFKA TrampinBlack
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

hang on hang on...the number of candidates reduces after the 1st round, so how can it be said the person then elected in the 2nd round has 50%+ of the vote? And why make people vote for people they didn't vote for in the first place?

"I'll have the sea bass please"

"Sorry, its off."

"Oh I'll have the salmon then"

Surely its not as simple as that!
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
Stranglers69
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Stranglers69 »

Completely pointless exercise until voting is made compulsory for all. Can't agree with anyone who says they dont vote cause its a waste of time.
If you dont exercise your right to choose then don't complain about who is elected.
Why should prisoners be able to go to European court of human rights complaining about being denied their right to vote and people who are able to vote sit on their lazy arses?
Get off your backside and make a difference!
Rant over!
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Stranglers69 wrote:Completely pointless exercise until voting is made compulsory for all. Can't agree with anyone who says they dont vote cause its a waste of time.
If you dont exercise your right to choose then don't complain about who is elected.
Why should prisoners be able to go to European court of human rights complaining about being denied their right to vote and people who are able to vote sit on their lazy arses?
Rant over!
Excellent rant :twisted:

The vote for prisoners has more to do with ramping up costs with Human rights lawyers(Mrs. Blair?) to stick it to the system, because they can, than any particular 'cause' to the right to vote.
Do you think they actually will if they get it??? It'll be the same as the rest populous.

Voting should be compulsory, even if just to spoil the paper,with hefty fines if you don't.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

Stranglers69 wrote:Completely pointless exercise until voting is made compulsory for all. Can't agree with anyone who says they dont vote cause its a waste of time.
Rant over!
As sure as night follows day it’s the same old fallacies, that,
1. able minded “Voters” presume that people who don’t vote do so because they think it’s a waste of time.
2. if you don’t vote it should therefore follow that you should loose your right to complain.
3. people who don’t vote are deemed to inhabit a closed world of sitting on their “lazy arses” and that that they should get off their backsides….. etc. etc.

Politics in this country is populated, in the main, by vacuous entities who love nothing better than to listen to themselves talk about our great society and how important the British voting and ranting public is good for the national debate. It’s become quite quaint if ya think about it. Giving the Proles a flag to wave and something to sing about.

In general, there is a now a decline in the eligible voting population who actually vote or want to vote. If this continues there will be a time when `none voters’ will exceed `voters’. Why is this happening? Well it must be down to fallacy number three (in the above) of course.

However, to this lazy old lard-arsed loser… it seems more like shift towards a future “bigger society” which is still off the radar to most of our political establishments. As each elected governance falls don’t forget cup your ear to the ever growing chorus of “Well I didn’t vote for ‘em”. “No really, I didn’t vote for them”.............. “No, I mean I didn’t vote”.

As for making voting compulsory. There can be no justification in the notion that by forcing you to vote would then give you the right to deface the ballot paper. It’s a nonsense! It'd be way too much effort to trail down to your polling station to draw a cock and balls. They'd just have to lock up all these `no-show ballot paper defacers'... which brings me nicely on to -

Prisoners….
The Stranglers wanted to let all the prisoners. What did we all think of that? They said it, in a song and sung by our very own law abiding keyboard god Dave Greenfield. 8)

Just a thought. :?
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/news ... =0&nid=478
Mandates in 2010 MPs % Parliament

Majority Mandates
MPs with over 50% of vote 216 33.23%

Minority Mandates
MPs with less than 50% support of vote 434 66.77%

40-50% 322 49.54%

30-40% 104 16.00%

Less than 30% 8 1.23%
2/3rds of the MPs elected, last year,results would have been affected using the AV. Almost 1/5th of those elected were returned on a 20-40% share of the votes cast in their constituency. Try calling that fair, never mind the 8 who were elected on less than a 30% share of the vote.

Anything else is better than FPP.
TAFKA TrampinBlack
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

When was the last time a party that won the general election oin UK actually had more than 50% of the vote ? By splitting the vote even more so that a 3rd or 4th party gets more seats in line with their percentage of vote , it will make th elikelihood of a majority party in power almost nil . Coalitions every time if this happens .
All quiet ..........