Maninwhite

Re: World Cup 2018 Bid

Post by gizzard »

Alias wrote:
gizzard wrote: Qatar 2022? WTF!!! :shock:

Hardly a hot bed of football. :smt009
That's probably the point mate.
That and the money too, obviously.

"Qatar is an oil- and gas-rich nation, with the third largest gas reserves,and the first or second highest GDP per capita in the world."
Saw the news last night about this and they said that Qatar is only 100 miles by 50 miles :shock:
Has a no alcohol law and the games will be played in temperatures of around 50 degrees!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

gizzard wrote:
Alias wrote:
gizzard wrote: Qatar 2022? WTF!!! :shock:

Hardly a hot bed of football. :smt009
That's probably the point mate.
That and the money too, obviously.

"Qatar is an oil- and gas-rich nation, with the third largest gas reserves,and the first or second highest GDP per capita in the world."
Saw the news last night about this and they said that Qatar is only 100 miles by 50 miles :shock:
Has a no alcohol law and the games will be played in temperatures of around 50 degrees!!

Qatar sounds like a posh word for snot. :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

If you can't beat 'em, Join 'em?
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
jamesgreenfield
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by jamesgreenfield »

The Football World Cup will end up like a lot of the new Formula 1 Race venues. Choosen on the basis of how much money they will cough up to host the race, not on the basis of does it make any sense. Russia may draw a crowd and the vodka might be cheap but things like accomodation, transport and the like are likely to be nightmare. Qatar? Can't see many soccer fans wanting to pay a fortune to stay in an alcohol free state. Mind you at 500 sq miles, transport will not be a problem as the stadiums will all be within spitting distance of each other.
The reason why we have F1 races in Korea, Turkey and Bahrain is not because anyone wants to go there but because they pay Bernie hugh amounts of money for the franchise. He doesn't give a flying fuck about the end users (fans), empty grandstands and no atmosphere. Drunken European soccer fans in a middle east state? That will work nicely and I am sure the Russian police will have effective and fair crowd control techniques already in hand.
There will be no world cup in the 'west' for the forseeable future so long as the venue is choosen by 20 faceless men by secret ballot and rich countries willing to win their support.
Football is shit anyway and the whole game is so far up its arse it isn't true. The economics of the madhouse will eventually bring the whole pack of cards tumbling down.
did somebody say wanker?
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

jamesgreenfield wrote:The Football World Cup will end up like a lot of the new Formula 1 Race venues. Choosen on the basis of how much money they will cough up to host the race, not on the basis of does it make any sense. Russia may draw a crowd and the vodka might be cheap but things like accomodation, transport and the like are likely to be nightmare. Qatar? Can't see many soccer fans wanting to pay a fortune to stay in an alcohol free state. Mind you at 500 sq miles, transport will not be a problem as the stadiums will all be within spitting distance of each other.
The reason why we have F1 races in Korea, Turkey and Bahrain is not because anyone wants to go there but because they pay Bernie hugh amounts of money for the franchise. He doesn't give a flying fuck about the end users (fans), empty grandstands and no atmosphere. Drunken European soccer fans in a middle east state? That will work nicely and I am sure the Russian police will have effective and fair crowd control techniques already in hand.
There will be no world cup in the 'west' for the forseeable future so long as the venue is choosen by 20 faceless men by secret ballot and rich countries willing to win their support.
Football is shit anyway and the whole game is so far up its arse it isn't true. The economics of the madhouse will eventually bring the whole pack of cards tumbling down.
Well said, 100% correct. :smt038
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

All the pish posted...Not enough dough...
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

I agree with with most if not all what davegreenfield says.
What as happend to football is bad.
But its gonna get worse.
Im pleased the BBC pointed this out and showed how corupt FIFA was.I dont think them showing that programme made any diff we was not getting it, Russia had already been picked and it seemed they knew it.
If FIFA want to change things then it needs to be run like the olympics were ifs next to inpossible to be corupt as the rules are so bloody strict.
This not just bitter grapes about us not having the world cup its about coruption and pure greed.
Aural Scripture
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Aural Scripture »

I think the notion that Blatter is more interested in his own legacy is nearer to the mark. He Introduced the first World cup in Asia, Africa and now the Middle East. Of course, that could not have happened without a rule change and why, for the first time, two World cups were chosen at the same time rather than have the usual time lapse before announcing the winning bid. Since he's likely to stand down in a couple of years, and bearing in mind that the venue would be somewhere in Europe, Qatar could not come into the equation without a change in procedure. That in itself should've raised a few eyebrows regarding his hidden agenda.

Secondly, what was the point of wining and dining FIFA's hierarchy and spending millions on presentation when those factors counted for nothing? They were not interested in a nation that has ready built arenas and a passion for the game. Building contracts and backhanders for those contracts seem to have taken preference rather than a nation steeped in football history and tradition.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

jamesgreenfield wrote:The Football World Cup will end up like a lot of the new Formula 1 Race venues. Choosen on the basis of how much money they will cough up to host the race, not on the basis of does it make any sense. Russia may draw a crowd and the vodka might be cheap but things like accomodation, transport and the like are likely to be nightmare. Qatar? Can't see many soccer fans wanting to pay a fortune to stay in an alcohol free state. Mind you at 500 sq miles, transport will not be a problem as the stadiums will all be within spitting distance of each other.
Sooner the better.
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'