Computer Help please

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Computer Help please

Post by Mad Hatter »

I have had a external drive to store my music files for a few years, and when it was set up, it was on my 'L' drive. For some bizare reason today, when I switched my computer on it now appears on my 'M' drive. Thankfully all my files are still there, but it means that iTunes doesn't reconise where any of my music files are - and there are over 20,000 of them (a good proportion of which is of the Stranglers and all associated solo stuff :grin: ). I really don't want to have to reload them all again! So my question is this - is there a simple way of getting my external drive to move back to my 'L' drive, which would completely resolve the issue? A have tried a system restore, which didn't work. Any advice would be very welcome. Cheers.
Black Leather Jacket
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Computer Help please

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

Sounds obvious and it may take a while but have you tried right clicking on your desktop to create a new file and copy and pasting them into it?

You may also be able to drag the whole file directly into itunes.
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

Thanks BLJ. The problem is, that my iTunes is pointing at my 'L' drive to find the files - therefore, I need to recreate this 'L' drive in order to get them working again (without going through a massive labour intensive process). I have no idea how to do this. :(
Old Angus

Post by Old Angus »

You should be able to reasign the drive letter. Never done it myself, so don't know how difficult it is to do, but there are instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

Old Angus wrote:You should be able to reasign the drive letter. Never done it myself, so don't know how difficult it is to do, but there are instructions here:

Fantastic. It is reassigned and working perfectly. I'm so grateful. Thanks very much Old Angus.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Probably something you plugged in recently (new camera or USB stick?) grabbed that drive letter.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

theraven1979 wrote:Probably something you plugged in recently (new camera or USB stick?) grabbed that drive letter.

Jim
That would make sense Jim - my son wanted to grab something off my computer, so he put his USB stick in to copy my files. That was probably the cause :roll:
Old Angus

Post by Old Angus »

Mad Hatter wrote:
Old Angus wrote:You should be able to reasign the drive letter. Never done it myself, so don't know how difficult it is to do, but there are instructions here:

Fantastic. It is reassigned and working perfectly. I'm so grateful. Thanks very much Old Angus.
:smt023 8)
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com