Alex Higgins R.I.P

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ted Crilly
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Alex Higgins R.I.P

Post by Ted Crilly »

Just read Alex higgins died of throat cancer aged 61. very sad really as he was a flawed man but one of the few colourful characters in sport which we are badly lacking today
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Alex Higgins R.I.P

Post by APOLLO79 »

Gotta agree.Loved watching him,Jimmy White and more recently Ronnie O'Sullivan.
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Ted Crilly
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Ted Crilly »

Too right there m8.
alm2910
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by alm2910 »

im gonna miss him........i thought he was gonna sign up for the mighty glasgow rangers
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

alm2910 wrote:im gonna miss him........i thought he was gonna sign up for the mighty glasgow rangers
:shock: :smt005
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

We've lost Bestie and Joey Dunlop...now the Hurricane has gone too.
Sad day again for NI.
rotten thoughts
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

Ignorant man, no great loss. Only 2 WC wins in his career, for such a talented player, what a waste.
TAFKA TrampinBlack
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Gene Regulation wrote:Ignorant man, no great loss. Only 2 WC wins in his career, for such a talented player, what a waste.
:roll:
rotten thoughts
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Steve Davis (six-times world champion): “He was a very competitive animal, and you knew how he was feeling at the table. That wasn’t common in a reserved game. He got a lot of people who wouldn’t have watched snooker interested, and dragged the game forward kicking and screaming. He didn’t wear a tie, he caused problems, but he was loved all the more for it and he was a snooker genius. Alex, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Jimmy White are the three who shocked people with the shots they have come out with, and Alex had bottle and heart. He perhaps didn’t win as much as possibly he could have with his talent, but when he did win the crowd absolutely loved it because it was one against the head. It was against authority, he was the true rebel. He was always up for disciplinary action and he’d walk in with bottles of champagne for the disciplinary panel to soften them up. He had that cheekiness."..Even 'The Robot' loved him.
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

when i was 12 in 1982 i was with my dad and i went up to him and asked for his autograph, Being a big snooker fan at the time to.
He said to me Fuck off.
Great player done a lot for the game. And the way he died i wouldnt wish that on anyone.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Gene Regulation wrote:Ignorant man, no great loss. Only 2 WC wins in his career, for such a talented player, what a waste.
Jimmy White - no World Champs ever - the perennial runner up .
He was one of those flawed genius - I liked to watch him play - he could win devastatingly or throw it away just as easily , whereas Steve Davis was always consistent . If you saw him recently it was no great surprise he died , but still a shame - and I bet he goes virtually penniless .
He picked fights all the time - Eddie Charlton once - a former boxer I believe , and Doug Mountjoy , another who could look after himself . I liked him as he was a breath of fresh air at the time in a very obscure sport at the time - it was him more than anyone that bought it to the public attention and got TV audiences .
All quiet ..........
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

You'll turn in your grave at what's gonna be said
You'll finally be appreciated
'Cos everybody loves you when you're dead
TAFKA TrampinBlack