Facebook

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Facebook

Post by Jake »

I'm with ya Apollo, before everyone moved away from myspace and onto facebook you’d get these bulletins from people deciding to tell the world they are bored, which I find incredibly tedious. In the Big Brother surveillance state people are far too willing to give their personal data away on a plate, it defies all logic. I really must be one of the few people who doesn't have facebook and has no intention of setting one up myself. My sister is always complaining about some dickhead she went to school with that added her, I say fuck that. Myspace is no better but it’s been kicked out of the market by facebook, both have really dubious connections, both are highly suspect in their data retention, neither really benefit us and probably starve us from real news and our ability to communicate properly.

I liked what Hugh said on the May Day CD if anyone knows that quote I mean? "We're all supposed to be in great communication with each other, so you've got an office with two people with desks next to each other, they're sending each other emails, they're looking at each other sending each other emails. Is that communication? It isn't is it" etc. Of course Hugh has totally embraced the internet since saying that, but does seem somehow relevant.
Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Frank Castle »

Sometimes people on Facebook share the most mundane facts about their lives....."Thats me just had a shit"......"Doing the dishes".........."reading the Sunday papers".........I could'nt give a flying fuck...... :roll:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

A couple of points which I'll probably get shot down for:-

- Facebook is VERY mundane but that's part of it's appeal sometimes - We don't all live a Hollywood lifestyle :lol: .

- I'm guilty of doing the thing Hugh commented on - and I sometimes think about his comments when doing it. Bascially I work in a team of software developers (some of them offshorers based in India so this makes sense) and we have an instant messenger client just running within our network. And (quite often) I will send an instant message to someone sat opposite me. When you're up to your nuts in code (or work in general) sometimes it's really fuckin annoying if someone just shouts something at you across a desk - Usually we all have headphones in as well. I know some of you would scoff at this but it's just the way we work - In my defence every so often I'll get up and go and chat to people (definately not the ladies in Finance :wink: ).

Technology can work with you and against you - You need to make sure and be happy with the way it is working for you and change things to suit you to get the best from it. This is the 21st century after all.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

theraven1979 wrote:A couple of points which I'll probably get shot down for:-

- Facebook is VERY mundane but that's part of it's appeal sometimes - We don't all live a Hollywood lifestyle :lol: .

- I'm guilty of doing the thing Hugh commented on - and I sometimes think about his comments when doing it. Bascially I work in a team of software developers (some of them offshorers based in India so this makes sense) and we have an instant messenger client just running within our network. And (quite often) I will send an instant message to someone sat opposite me. When you're up to your nuts in code (or work in general) sometimes it's really fuckin annoying if someone just shouts something at you across a desk - Usually we all have headphones in as well. I know some of you would scoff at this but it's just the way we work - In my defence every so often I'll get up and go and chat to people (definately not the ladies in Finance :wink: ).

Technology can work with you and against you - You need to make sure and be happy with the way it is working for you and change things to suit you to get the best from it. This is the 21st century after all.

Jim

Jim, I thought you mentioned before that you worked for a firm of solicitors, maybe not. So you work developing software, muy bien. Are you anything to do with this crowd?

http://www.tvcatchup.com

Anyway must run, I want to get some food before I watch Doctor Who courtesy of the above link.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Frank Castle wrote:Sometimes people on Facebook share the most mundane facts about their lives....."Thats me just had a shit"......"Doing the dishes".........."reading the Sunday papers".........I could'nt give a flying fuck...... :roll:
Agreed.

When they say -

''I'm going down the pub''

''I've been down the gym''

''I've just watched ? programme on tv''

WHO GIVES A FCUKING SHIT. :twisted:

Get a life you sad cnuts! :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll: :smt013
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

gizzard wrote:
Frank Castle wrote:Sometimes people on Facebook share the most mundane facts about their lives....."Thats me just had a shit"......"Doing the dishes".........."reading the Sunday papers".........I could'nt give a flying fuck...... :roll:
Agreed.

When they say -

''I'm going down the pub''

''I've been down the gym''

''I've just watched ? programme on tv''

WHO GIVES A FCUKING SHIT. :twisted: Absolutely Gizzard, I could not agree more. Can't stop I'm just off for a shit now! :lol:

Get a life you sad cnuts! :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll: :smt013
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Personally speaking, people should still be writing letters to each other.

I think that in about 30 years time, there won't be one cnut left who can write with a pen or pencil. We will be a nation of typists.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

PaulinLondon wrote:Personally speaking, people should still be writing letters to each other.

I think that in about 30 years time, there won't be one cnut left who can write with a pen or pencil. We will be a nation of typists.

True
Claireinblack
kent
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bring back the Telegram that's what I say!

Jim

PaulinLondon wrote:Personally speaking, people should still be writing letters to each other.

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I dont mind Facebook. Got back in contact with a few old school friends that i haven't seen for a few years. Specially if it was the selected few of intermediate business Studies 1999 which was the classic year of never ending comedy, every monday evening the legends of this class get together on Facebook to reinact several classic momments on Webcam, not the same but some of them are now living in the us with a family and kids and so forth at 28!.

Have several members of the Advance Business studies class but a different group of people was just not as funny as intermediate.
Mr-Tele
Rats Rally

Post by Mr-Tele »

I am another one of these people who said I wasn't really bothered about getting an account, but then I thought because i plan on moving where i used to live before England (500ish miles away :shock: ) it would be handy to keep in touch with mates from here.

Also while we're on the subject, i don't get these people that just add EVERYONE that they know of like at my school. I have had friend requests from people of who I knew their faces but not their names :lol: The people on my lists are only people i actually talk to. Another thing that bugs me is the pointless groups that fill up the news :evil:
They’ve been cooking on Blue Peter
Now they’re sampling the dishes
“I don’t normally like tomatoes, John
But this is delicious”