The new Doctor Who

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Rockula »

Bobinblack wrote:Can someone tell me why they got rid of Matt Smith?
They haven't.
ManInBrown
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Ah, now I did say that at the end of the last episode. Very interesting, I hope they give John Hurt some meat to work with then.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

I suppose the answer to that is that they haven't. The introduction of John Hurt as the Doctor in the last episode of the current run is I suspect setting up his version of the Doctor for just the one episode in November. The Doctor's darkest secret.

As I understand it both Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman have signed up for series 8 which begins shooting early next year after Smith finishes a Ryan Gosling directed Hollywood movie. Of course Steven Moffat doesn't like to show his hand so we may well see a change of personnel in the Tardis next year.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

unbroken69 wrote:I suppose the answer to that is that they haven't. The introduction of John Hurt as the Doctor in the last episode of the current run is I suspect setting up his version of the Doctor for just the one episode in November. The Doctor's darkest secret.

As I understand it both Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman have signed up for series 8 which begins shooting early next year after Smith finishes a Ryan Gosling directed Hollywood movie. Of course Steven Moffat doesn't like to show his hand so we may well see a change of personnel in the Tardis next year.
There's still some gold in the stories, I just get a bit bored with parts of the writing and at times too many characters. Have to remind myself though that it is on the whole a children's drama :smile:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I'd say Doctor Who never was a children's programme, and at the beginning it was made through the drama department, and never was produced by Children's BBC, granted Doctor Who has always been family entertainment yes, but not a children's programme.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Doctor Who plot generator...

http://toys.usvsth3m.com/drwho/#
ManInBrown
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Looks like Bob was right, Matt Smith has confirmed he is vacating the Tardis at the end of this years Christmas special. Untimely if you ask me I think he was pushing the character towards darker territory. Any suggestions for who's next with the sonic screwdriver? I can't see John Hurt doing a full series, I had read somewhere that the actor who's 73 this year was not interested in anything other than cameo roles in film and TV.

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I HATED Matt Smith for the first two seasons, he really grated me and now he has grown on me, but I am not sorry to see him go personally and I hope they get a Doctor who's in his late 30's upwards, young guy doesn't work for me sorry. I hope there actually will be another Doctor cast, and that this isn't the end of the show or a period of hiatus or anything. I note that the ratings have gone down quite a lot during Matt Smith's tenure as the Doctor. A lot of non Doctor Who fans started getting into the show during Ecclestone and Tennant and drifted off during the Matt Smith years, so I hope whoever they get is good!
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

There is an 8th series commissioned which is due to air in autumn 2014 so I suspect the process of casting the next Dcotor has already commenced.

The ratings have not gone down, viewing habits have merely changed and Dcotor Who is still one of the most popular programmes when it's aired in its time slot. It's also the highest watched programme on i player. Series 6 was the most downloaded TV programme on US i tunes as well. which is a rather remarkable feat.

Will post my feelings on Inferno soon, if you can have a watch of Terror of the Autons and we'll discuss that one next.

In the meantime I'll throw a few names out there for the next Doctor.

Andrew Scott
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Ben Wishaw
Damian Lewis
Jason Isaccs
Mark Gatiss
Reece Shearsmith
Michael Smiley

Hopefully not as currently being mooted

David Walliams
Rupert Grint
Daniel Radcliffe
Matthew McFadyen

Jake wrote:I HATED Matt Smith for the first two seasons, he really grated me and now he has grown on me, but I am not sorry to see him go personally and I hope they get a Doctor who's in his late 30's upwards, young guy doesn't work for me sorry. I hope there actually will be another Doctor cast, and that this isn't the end of the show or a period of hiatus or anything. I note that the ratings have gone down quite a lot during Matt Smith's tenure as the Doctor. A lot of non Doctor Who fans started getting into the show during Ecclestone and Tennant and drifted off during the Matt Smith years, so I hope whoever they get is good!
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Think they'll stick with the tried and tested method of picking a relatively unknown actor/actress??? for the role.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Jake wrote:I'd say Doctor Who never was a children's programme, and at the beginning it was made through the drama department, and never was produced by Children's BBC, granted Doctor Who has always been family entertainment yes, but not a children's programme.
Yes that's a fair point, I should have said Family Viewing, Dr Who definitely is not in Cbeebies land :oops:
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

I remember quite a lot of opposition against Matt Smith at first, but in a way that was a good thing because he was making the role his own. I just thought he was ugly, man, but I enjoyed his acting. He walked by me at Glasto 2010 by the way, looking as dramatic as his character, along with his gree-haired girlfriend at the time. Or was it purple? It was dark at the time. Anyway, it was just before his Orbital slot I believe.

Eccleston was brilliant I thought, but that all ended quite sourly didn't it?