The new Doctor Who

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Bobinblack »

Yep, my girlfriend sighed yesterday at the blatant 'aimed at kids' policy. And yes it did look cheap compared.

I personally am looking forward to the Invasion of the Wood Blocks episode :mrgreen:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
miserablewoman
Ugly
Ugly

Post by miserablewoman »

Jon the Impaler wrote:The crack I think is reminiscent of an old Sapphire and Steel episode , where there was a doorway to another dimension and things were getting out ( or something like that ) , only this isn't anywhere near as creepy or frightening . Expected more from yesterdays , then those Spitfires in space ......... :shock: .
It was embarrassing .
Sapphire and Steel! Oh that was a fantastic program! ... totally weird and scary ... nothing made sense ... and Joanna Lumley was stunning!
LOVED IT! 8)
YOU WERE FOREVER ... I WAS JUST A PAUSE ...
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

I'm going to have to disagree on this one - I think the new Doc is great :P

It's always been a bit tongue-in-cheek, a bit of fun and escapism. Don't take it all too seriously :roll:

Thought last weeks was the best so far - the star-whale one.

Can't wait for the Weeping Angels next time :shock: :shock:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Its way to early to judge him as a Dr..Lets give him 6 episodes..
Some of the writting is silly as in spitfires in space that was such rubbish.
The dalek episode last night was weak..I was not one bit happy with that.
We all no daleks are insane and mad and want to destroy everything that episode was weak.
Hope we not going back to the days when they just got a bad writter in to ruin the show.
so far the 3 episodes get a 5/10
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

Surprised at the comments so far. I thought that Smith was doing pretty well. He seems to me to have modelled himself on Patrick Troughton. I thought he was good in the first two episodes, which I also thought were good. The third one with the Daleks though was awful. Am not expecting much next week either, as I didn't like the first Blink episode.

So for me so far it would be:

Episode 1 = 9/10
Episode 2 = 9/10
Episode 3 = 4/10
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
sandyinblack
Rats Rally

Post by sandyinblack »

I thought the first episode had too many references to Dougls Adams and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There was even someone running around in their dressing gown, for god's sake. The second episode leaned heavily on Independence Day - firing missiles into an alien beam coming from the base of the spaceship....
I do agree that he has a very nice assistant though. And Scottish too :grin:
Still I'll keep watching. And try not to blink :twisted:
Punk could be the first step towards Utpoia
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Re-watched on BBC 3 tonight, bits of it I liked a lot more on re-watching, the Daleks switching the lights on at the Houses of Parliament during the blackout was quality. I can see where paulinblack is coming from about the Troughton bit, but he has a long way to go to be anything of the calibre of Troughton, although Troughton weren't a 'pretty boy' like Tennant he was an actor of the highest calibre that maybe Tennant doesn't even match.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Blackbeered wrote:I'm going to have to disagree on this one - I think the new Doc is great :P

Me too! I even like the new,fat, colourful Daleks from last night even if the episode was a bit crap. New assistant looks great in a mini skirt and boots as well........

Thought the first episode was a great introduction to/for Matt Smith with an obvious nod to the first Jon Pertwee story.Surely that was the same hospital as in 'Spearhead From Space' all those years ago where the Doctor again stole his new outfit?
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

paulinblack wrote:Am not expecting much next week either, as I didn't like the first Blink episode.
:shock:

Please :!:

That was one of THE finest Tennant episodes...........superb :!:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Blackbeered wrote:
paulinblack wrote:Am not expecting much next week either, as I didn't like the first Blink episode.

Sorry Blackbeered but Dr.Snooze is what I think....never liked it and never will..my son likes it though...but he is only five
maybe he knows summat I don't? :wink:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Flyboy
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Flyboy »

I am enjoying the New Doctor....Matt Smith. He is starting to grow on me. My 4 and 6 yr old girls?.....thats a different matter! They still watch all the re-runs with David Tennant.

My 6 yr old wants a toy yellow Dalek with a squeaky dogs toy things in it! What the fuck is that all about? New Dalek's after we had New Daleks about 5 yrs ago. A pattern emerging, Mk1, Mk 2, Mk3, Mk4................Mk5?

Jeff
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Blackbeered wrote:

No , I didn't like it either - aliens that are deadly because ........ THEY STAND STILL AND DO NOTHING .
Maybe we are too picky .....but it just lacks something to me , there's no subtetly to it so far this series . Its all in your face , too obvious and not very scary at all . I prefer Primeval when its on these days ....... and I used to love Dr Who back in the 80's etc . So far this series its just not doing it for me .
All quiet ..........