The new Doctor Who

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Bobinblack »

ishmael wrote:I'm surprised Unbroken69 hasnt been waxing lyrical about all the recent dr who based happenings.

Oh no, yeah he was permanently banned for being "smutty" wasnt he ?
I missed that, what's he been up to?
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

yes where's unbroken's contribution?

it always feels a bit empty when a new season of Who ends, over all this season and the new doctor worked out a lot better than I had thought was going to be possible when I saw Matt Smith's announcement as Tennant's replacement. Smith has shown himself as a compotent enough actor to play the Doctor but I don't think he's quite on Tennant's level but still it's all good, a decent season, roll on the Xmas special I say!
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I thought it seemed reasonable enough to ressurect this thread, what do you Who Strangled types think so far?

I am not warming to Matt Smith at all, in fact I'd go as far as to say this is the first time I have intensely disliked any of the Doctor's even Sylvestor McCoy and Colin Baker grew on me quicker than this. I am not overly convinced by the current storylines either, suppose I'd like them more if I liked the leading man, tried and I don't and I been a Doctor Who fan even longer than I been a strangelrs fan :lol:

One other thing I just found the last story very much pandering to an American audience, hence why it has had the highest US ratings ever for a Doctor Who story and Richard Nixon was in no way a nice liberal sort of a guy thank you very much (though I am sure plenty here would disagree :lol: :lol: )
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Its hard to like a new Dr once you have 1 in your mind.
To me the best Drs was Tom Baker and Chris Ecclestion as they was the first Drs i Seen as in Old Dr Who Then new.
Just hope that if the Dalek are used there no spitfires around again.
Bring back the new master, he blooming great.
As for this new Dr...Well not too sure about him.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I dunno Mick I didn't take to David Tennant until later into his first season, came to really rate him.Matt Smith is just trying too hard to be eccentric and is utterly unconvincing at it by my estimation, Tom Baker and David Tennant on the other hand were genuine real eccentric's. Matt Smith is, as some of my Scottish friends would say just a daft wee boy, a pure numpty by the way :lol:
As for the Daleks I hope they don't bring them back when they looked as stupid and unthreatening and too much like power rangers as they did.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

I'm one of the few Patrick Troughton fans I think. Never understood the popularity of Tom Baker. Perhaps I was too old by the tame he took over from Pertwee.

I've liked all of the Doctors since the revival but, frankly, they're interchangeable aren't they? No matter who's playing the character it's always set within limits. They can't have him doing anything outrageously out of character so he's always just a cypher.

I do not miss the wobbly cardboard sets either. :smile:
ManInBrown
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I like Patrick Troughton, thankfully nowhere near old enough to remember him, but sadly in that respect there are a lot of his stories I will never get to see. Troughton is very popular amongst the hardcore Doctor Who fans and others, he was always regarded as a very good actor besides his work on Doctor Who. I do miss some of the wobbly sets in certain respects, some of the CGI in Doctor Who isn't terribly convincing and certain episodes have looked very cheap and I don't think the gloss of filming in America was a match for some of those old classics like Pyramids of Mars, when you see a hand holding down a cushion when Sutekh the destroyer arises from his throne, or members of the film crew seen walking around in a scene in Earthshock as the cybermen take over the space freighter , oh yes and lets not forget the blatant action man tank being brought into deal with The Giant Robot :grin:
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Rockula wrote:I'm one of the few Patrick Troughton fans I think. Never understood the popularity of Tom Baker. Perhaps I was too old by the tame he took over from Pertwee.

I've liked all of the Doctors since the revival but, frankly, they're interchangeable aren't they? No matter who's playing the character it's always set within limits. They can't have him doing anything outrageously out of character so he's always just a cypher.

I do not miss the wobbly cardboard sets either. :smile:
Although by no means a Dr Who buff - I watch it regularly (but not a fanatic) - and I gotta agree with Rockula.

Just about remember hiding behind the settee for the Troughton episodes - the Yetis were great - but Jon Pertwee will always be the definitive Doctor. It seems to be like James Bond - the one you associate with the most seems to be related to those formative years when you were watching them.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

You're lucky to remember the thrill of the yeti's then Mully, they featured in only two stories, The Abominable Snowmen in 1967 and The Web of Fear in 1968. Sadly the BBC wiped the seriels, however 35 mm film copies of episode 3 of Abominable Snowmen and Episode 1 of Web of Fear do exist in the BBC archives. A clip does exist from the web of fear of the yeti's going on a rampage on the London underground and this is often cited as one of the landmark moments of Doctor Who.
adam_neil
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adam_neil »

the new doctor who is poo
Tried to wipe you from my memory
I miss the pleasure of your company
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

adam_neil wrote:the new doctor who is poo
Doctor Poo, I believe that was a strip in Viz at some point, not that I've ever been an avid reader of Viz, in fact here we go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZahysN2sIIw
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Not a bad bit of nonsense tonight I thought, surprisingly quite enjoyed it :smile: