The new Doctor Who

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Post Reply
User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

The new Doctor Who

Post by Jake » 18 Apr 2010, 09:12

and my other topic up for general discussion is the new series of Doctor Who, which as a life-long fan I think it has been extremely poor so far this season. I don't think Steven Moffat is anything like as compotent a lead writer as Russel T Davies and as for the new Doctor, he's crap! The new look Daleks are just embarrassing, but hey at least they've got a pretty girl :roll:

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2404
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 18:59
Location: Essex

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jon the Impaler » 18 Apr 2010, 09:38

Didn't like the first story , wasn't impressed with the second , the Daleks - no plot , story full of holes , Spitfires in space - they only flew at around 400-500MPH , would have taken ages to get there , takes a rocket a fair time .
First story 5/10
Second 6/10
Third 5/10

Thats being generous , and to me the new chap is just copying David Tennants mannerisms a lot of the time .
All quiet ..........

User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jake » 18 Apr 2010, 09:53

Jon the Impaler wrote:
Thats being generous , and to me the new chap is just copying David Tennants mannerisms a lot of the time .
very badly at that, he has zero charisma , we need someone like Jet Black to play the Doctor but we live in far too much of an ageist society for that to happen, guranteed Jet Black would make a much better Doctor than Matt Smith, even Baz Warne might fair better!

User avatar
parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2952
Joined: 26 Nov 2003, 11:57
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by parasiteinblack » 18 Apr 2010, 10:34

I don't think Smith's copying Tennant really that much, and I am really enjoying his portrayal of the Doctor so far. I didn't enjoy last nights story though, it went from being the Doctor standing around talking to some Daleks for ages to the stupid bit at the end in space. The only bit that was much good was the robot character and his story throughout. I enjoyed the last two though, especially the first episode.
first one: 9/10
Second one 8/10
third one 5/10

I had a really vivid dream last night (well it was just now really) where i saw a trailer and the crack that keeps popping up allows the Eccleston doctor to come back for an episode, except there were loads of him like the Master at christmas. Don't think that's going to happen though.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

beebop
The Man They Love To Hate
Posts: 607
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 23:11
Location: Coventry

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by beebop » 18 Apr 2010, 10:36

Bring back Tom Baker and K9
Last edited by beebop on 18 Apr 2010, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2952
Joined: 26 Nov 2003, 11:57
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by parasiteinblack » 18 Apr 2010, 10:38

beebop wrote:Bfring back Tom Baker and K9
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

User avatar
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack
Posts: 3473
Joined: 05 Nov 2007, 14:08
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Bobinblack » 18 Apr 2010, 10:45

I like the new lad, and to be fair I've read that he early on IS copying Tennant plus other traits from other Doctors as part of his regeneration. But anyway, it shouldn't be about the actor it should be about the plot and the lines and I have to agree with you all, on the whole, though I did enjoy the first one.

The Dalek plot didn't work, which is a shame because I thought the idea of Churchill 'hiring' them was a great one. Would have helped maybe if they got someone who looked and SOUNDED like Churchill and not just a rather good and weighty actor in.

Next week's might be good as it's those bastard statues innit :lol:
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

User avatar
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 11871
Joined: 04 Apr 2004, 00:48
Location: UTOPIA!
Contact:

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by ThruBeingCool » 18 Apr 2010, 10:48

Bobinblack wrote:I like the new lad, and to be fair I've read that he early on IS copying Tennant plus other traits from other Doctors as part of his regeneration. But anyway, it shouldn't be about the actor it should be about the plot and the lines and I have to agree with you all, on the whole, though I did enjoy the first one.

The Dalek plot didn't work, which is a shame because I thought the idea of Churchill 'hiring' them was a great one. Would have helped maybe if they got someone who looked and SOUNDED like Churchill and not just a rather good and weighty actor in.

Next week's might be good as it's those bastard statues innit :lol:
So, whatever you do next week.....................

DON'T BLINK!

:shock:

User avatar
Jake
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2642
Joined: 18 Oct 2005, 20:40

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jake » 18 Apr 2010, 10:52

It seems the stranglers and Doctor Who do go well together.

I hope I'll be proved wrong about Smith, I just think he lacks any genuine presence and the BBC are going out of their way to impress Cameron (who hasn't even been bloody elected and doesn't need to be either ok?) by cutting back on everything. The show looks cheaper than it did in the late 80's by modern standards and the acting is as hammy as the days of the Horns of Nimon, maybe that's what makes Doctor Who.

It's stopped being family entertainment and is apparently exclusively aimed at kids the Sarah Jane Adventures seem grown up by comparison and no bloody Torchwood to find some solace in at least.

User avatar
LAFOLIE
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1152
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 21:18
Location: Paris

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by LAFOLIE » 18 Apr 2010, 11:25

Good story lines, good cast, good assistant.............CRAP Doctor!
I am the knot that slips from the loop

I am the earth that conquers the root

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2404
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 18:59
Location: Essex

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jon the Impaler » 18 Apr 2010, 12:49

ThruBeingCool wrote:
Bobinblack wrote:I like the new lad, and to be fair I've read that he early on IS copying Tennant plus other traits from other Doctors as part of his regeneration. But anyway, it shouldn't be about the actor it should be about the plot and the lines and I have to agree with you all, on the whole, though I did enjoy the first one.

The Dalek plot didn't work, which is a shame because I thought the idea of Churchill 'hiring' them was a great one. Would have helped maybe if they got someone who looked and SOUNDED like Churchill and not just a rather good and weighty actor in.

Next week's might be good as it's those bastard statues innit :lol:
So, whatever you do next week.....................

DON'T BLINK!

:shock:
Don't blink . I may well be asleep before anything decent happens . Either that or I will have switched over .
All quiet ..........

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2404
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 18:59
Location: Essex

Re: The new Doctor Who

Post by Jon the Impaler » 18 Apr 2010, 12:52

The crack I think is reminiscent of an old Sapphire and Steel episode , where there was a doorway to another dimension and things were getting out ( or something like that ) , only this isn't anywhere near as creepy or frightening . Expected more from yesterdays , then those Spitfires in space ......... :shock: .
It was embarrassing .
All quiet ..........

Post Reply