Moderator: StanInBlack

APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Anybody but England

Post by APOLLO79 »

5fc21c880431c62697ee112169a40728.jpg
5fc21c880431c62697ee112169a40728.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 715 times
:shock: A Scottish clothing company has been warned by police over t-shirts expressing the hope that 'Anyone but England' wins this summer's World Cup.
World Cup 'Anyone but England' t-shirt - 0
More Stories

* Paper Round: Cole 'final straw' for Capello
* Bridge will be in Egypt squad

Police have warned proprietors of the Slanj clothing store in Aberdeen that the garment could cause offence.

An impromptu visit from an officer raising concerns over the shirt's sentiments left staff at the shop "flabbergasted".

The visit was not in response to a complaint, and no action has been taken against the company.

However, Grampian Police claim that they would be neglecting their duty if the matter was not addressed.

PC Kirk Hemmings said: "The primary role of any police force is to preserve the peace and we would be failing in our duty if we did not make people aware of the potential for disturbance such a window display could cause.

"The Grampian area, in common with the rest of the country, has recorded incidents relating to nationality and we have a responsibility to do our best to ensure that incidents of this nature are kept to a minimum.

Ross Lyle of Slanj said: "To be honest we're absolutely flabbergasted.

"We have been selling this T-shirt for the past three months and we've had a great response. Even the English people who come into the store think it's a laugh and just a bit of tongue-in-cheek football banter.

"We're certainly not being racist. We are the same race as the English. It's just daft to say it's offensive."

The slogan is believed to have originated from the phrase 'ABU', short for 'Anyone but United', referring to football fans who will support any team that is playing Premier League champions Manchester United.

The t-shirt is described on Slanj's website as "A light hearted dig at our English neighbours and their prospects in the forthcoming World Cup, not that we're bitter or anything, just because we didnae qualify!"
:lol:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Anybody but England

Post by Sword sparkle »

Well I will say one thing, it definitely WONT be Scotland. :P
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Sword sparkle wrote:Well I will say one thing, it definitely WONT be Scotland. :P
:P :P An thats a fact!
God,think of the misery us Celts will have to go through IF Ingerlund did win it?
:shock: BBbrrrr!!! Doesn't bare thinkin about...!! :smt078
:smt005 :smt005 Tempting fate but as if :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

APOLLO79 wrote:
Sword sparkle wrote:Well I will say one thing, it definitely WONT be Scotland. :P
God,think of the misery us Celts will have to go through IF Ingerlund did win it?
It most probably wont be England anyway. If we did win it we could stop going on about 66 though (maybe).

Bring back the Home Internationals they were quite interesting at times.
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Sword sparkle wrote:
APOLLO79 wrote:
It most probably wont be England anyway. If we did win it we could stop going on about 66 though (maybe).

Bring back the Home Internationals they were quite interesting at times.
Totally agree.Would help the home nations improve no end.Down side is the organised hooliganism that follows the game :|
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

Agree with you there mate ,i,m dreadin it if they do well you won,t hear the last of it ,the media will go bananas ,dickheads who know nothing about football jumping on the bandwagon and stupid fat tit heads releasing irratating football songs about eating kababs and loving everything about Ing-ur-land.Itaian manager aswell its a fuckin joke ,gettin as bad as them irish when it comes to footie now like my dads paper lad has a cousin in liverpool who,s mate is the paper lads dad who play,s for liverpool and his grandads irish so he can be our new centre forward! if that makes sense but i,m sure you know what i mean :roll: by the way i am english . :smt013
Last edited by scouserat on 24 Feb 2010, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

were can you buy those t shirts? i know a few older kopites who would wear them :smile:
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

scouserat wrote:were can you buy those t shirts? i know a few older kopites who would wear them :smile:
:smt005 :P Maybe someone going to the Aberdeen gig would oblige :lol:
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

APOLLO79 wrote:
5fc21c880431c62697ee112169a40728.jpg
:shock: A Scottish clothing company has been warned by police over t-shirts expressing the hope that 'Anyone but England' wins this summer's World Cup.
World Cup 'Anyone but England' t-shirt - 0
More Stories

* Paper Round: Cole 'final straw' for Capello
* Bridge will be in Egypt squad

Police have warned proprietors of the Slanj clothing store in Aberdeen that the garment could cause offence.

An impromptu visit from an officer raising concerns over the shirt's sentiments left staff at the shop "flabbergasted".

The visit was not in response to a complaint, and no action has been taken against the company.

However, Grampian Police claim that they would be neglecting their duty if the matter was not addressed.

PC Kirk Hemmings said: "The primary role of any police force is to preserve the peace and we would be failing in our duty if we did not make people aware of the potential for disturbance such a window display could cause.

"The Grampian area, in common with the rest of the country, has recorded incidents relating to nationality and we have a responsibility to do our best to ensure that incidents of this nature are kept to a minimum.

Ross Lyle of Slanj said: "To be honest we're absolutely flabbergasted.

"We have been selling this T-shirt for the past three months and we've had a great response. Even the English people who come into the store think it's a laugh and just a bit of tongue-in-cheek football banter.

"We're certainly not being racist. We are the same race as the English. It's just daft to say it's offensive."

The slogan is believed to have originated from the phrase 'ABU', short for 'Anyone but United', referring to football fans who will support any team that is playing Premier League champions Manchester United.

The t-shirt is described on Slanj's website as "A light hearted dig at our English neighbours and their prospects in the forthcoming World Cup, not that we're bitter or anything, just because we didnae qualify!"
:lol:
Don't see the problem myself its only a bit of banter, of course I want England to win in South Africa...........some people are too sensitive :roll:

As for the Home Internationals...........yeah bring them on........yeah there would be a bit of aggro, but things are far better policed these days than 70's and 80's 8)

:?
The day is sticky yellow!!
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

I love the scots ....You just have to love them dont you
We all have a laugh on the plane to south Africa togeather
ooops Scotland aint going are they...Never mind you wear ya t shirt with pride..
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

How much would that sort of media coverage cost.
Max Clifford couldn't have done better. 5 Minures on all the Prime-Time News programmes, half page items in the tabeloids, gaurenteeing that they'll be a sell out.

Bet the copper was the brother of the shop owner :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Will be supporting Germany, as Mrs TOTS was born there.

Good luck to the Engurland team especially, as they'll all get villified if they don't come back with the trophy.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
sandyinblack
Rats Rally

Post by sandyinblack »

and the joke goes.....
When England are playing their matches this summer the BBC in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be showing
the feature film 'Out Of Africa'
Oh how I laughed...
Punk could be the first step towards Utpoia