Are we about to witness another Falklands War ?

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Flyboy
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Are we about to witness another Falklands War ?

Post by Flyboy »

This is an interesting post.

The British government,MOD and indeed the Armed Forces have always taken the Falklands Islands seriously.
It has remained a bug bear of certain Military services to still serve time down there. One of my mates has been sent down there 3 times in the last 2 years. And he goes again in April. (luckily now it only for 6 - 8 weeks and not 6 mths)

The firepower down there is immense should anything kick off. We learnt a few lessons since 1982 and are still getting them wrong....such as has the C130J hercules got enough fuel to divert should it need to? (It has no External fuel tanks). The "New" Herc is going down south in the next few mths.

Then again this could all fizzle like a damp sqib!

Jeff
Flyboy
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Flyboy »

Unfortunately I was there when Mk 2 came to visit. Luckily Mrs Thatcher wasnt in power then!

I must dig out those photo's.....and I have got a mint glossy poster advertising the gig.

Jeff
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

They found black gold...Yee right they always knew it was there even back when the falklands happend...
The price of black gold out weighs the price of life....And we are all guilty of this...
Grip
Down In The Sewer

Post by Grip »

I don't think anything will happen, because the company exploring for oil is owned by an American firm called Diamond Offshore. As a result of the Argentinians blocking drilling equipment that was to be sent to the Falklands, the US Navy are now carrying out manoeuvres in that area........and we all know how much they love their oil.
Tickety Boo!
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

zontar wrote:As a thick, largely uninformed Yank. I've no right to start a row, but does anyone think the UK govt can reason with a crazy fox like Chavez?

Would be like Michael Palin entering Monty Python's "argument clinic."
Chavez drumming up support for Argentina from it´s South American neighbours is perhaps understandable. His own country Venezuela has sufferd from much interference from our No. 1 ally the USA, who even tried to depose him from office in a CIA orchestrated coup d'état.

He is of course a colourful character, often described as a madman in the USA. Rather ironic considering the last President of the USA told his people that an an imaginary being up in the sky told him to go to war with Iraq.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.