The first film that scared the crap out of you...

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The first film that scared the crap out of you...

Post by NMH1965 »

Kathinboots wrote:
NMH1965 wrote:
Kathinboots wrote:I remember watching Salem's Lot late one night on holiday when I was about 12 in a draughty, crumbly cottage in the middle of nowhere in Scotland - wind howling outside, rain hammering down etc. I was bloody petrified. The Changeling with George C Scott spooked me too.
Its scary going to Scotland a the best of times, but going as 12 year old must have been really frightening!! :grin:

:?
Tell me about it. I still break out in a cold sweat every time I hear a Scottish accent. Or see a tin of shortbread.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

The day is sticky yellow!!
Frank Castle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Frank Castle »

Kathinboots wrote:
NMH1965 wrote:
Kathinboots wrote:I remember watching Salem's Lot late one night on holiday when I was about 12 in a draughty, crumbly cottage in the middle of nowhere in Scotland - wind howling outside, rain hammering down etc. I was bloody petrified. The Changeling with George C Scott spooked me too.
Its scary going to Scotland a the best of times, but going as 12 year old must have been really frightening!! :grin:

Tell me about it. I still break out in a cold sweat every time I hear a Scottish accent. Or see a tin of shortbread.

How dare you Kath!!!!................ :evil: :evil: :evil: ............. :lol: :lol: :lol:
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

The bit in Robocop 2 (what do you mean you haven't seen it? :wink: ) where the surgeon cuts Duffy open with a scalpel.

Actually just anything involving cutting people open. I passed out at school during a video about open heart surgery, I got to the bit about pouring in ice cold water....
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Great post Paul :grin:

For me, as a kid, I remember The Devil Rides Out and Quatermass And The Pit being shit scary. The first film's Angel-of-Death-skull-heided-twunt on the big black horse kept me up all night, and the whole Quatermass film had a real eerie vibe that disturbed me greatly. And for years.
I remember sitting up one night as a kid with my old man too, the only ones up, watching Dracula Prince Of Darkness and being pretty fucken scared. The irony is, I watched this again the other week with my 8year old and at the end he just looked at me incredulously, like I'd just wasted 90 minutes of his life on this old shit, and asked, "Was that supposed to be scary?"
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

theraven1979 wrote:Exorcist III - the ceiling scene and I can never do situps again after watching the scene where it all speeds up. Oh yeah the fuckin scene in the hospital coridoor. Shit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KmJZs5I4r8&fmt=18

Jim

Reminds me of the time I went to the Glasgow Film Theatre who were doing a screening of The Exorcist. This was back when it was still banned on video and the only other place you could see it was on, erm, pirate video.
Anyhoo, this was a bit of a big deal; getting to see classic "Scariest Movie Ever" on the big screen, and Mark Kermode also did a bit of a critique after the screening. The Exorcist has got to be one of the scariest movies ever, innit. I mean never mind all them cheap jump-out-your-seat bits they fill all the teen-slasher movies with now, I remember being terrified watching someone climbing the stairs in The Exorcist. There was nothing frightening on screen, just an awful dread- I remember willing the character on the staircase; please, for fucksake, don't go back into that room!
The scariest bit of the film that particular screening though happened early on. You know the bit where they do a spinal tap on the wee girl, well, just at that bit a girl a couple of rows in front of us started freaking out big style, waving her arms about, then collapsing in a shuddering heap. Turned out she had suffered an epileptic fit. Not that anyone in the cinema that day rushed to her aid. We were halfway through The Exorcist and suddenly this burds rolling about, like, well, like she was possessed . Her whole aisle, and those around it just fucken cleared. Took a while for someone to realise the holy water wasn't needed, but, at the time, it truly put the shits up the whole cinema.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

Alias wrote:For me, as a kid, I remember The Devil Rides Out ...being shit scary. The film's Angel-of-Death-skull-heided-twunt on the big black horse kept me up all night....
Too right, this did it for me too.

But the first film I remember giving me the real creeps was "The Pit and the Pendulum" with Vincent Price. A Hammer film if I remember correctly - they always put a Hammer horror film on a Saturday night on BBC1 or 2.

I just remember some woman being bricked up alive in a deep, dark cellar and years later, old Vince would get woken up at night by her voice calling him, again and again, downstairs to "unearth" her ......:smt119
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
zontar

Post by zontar »

Nah, "The Pit..." was helmed by US indie god Roger Corman, though he openly admitted being motivated by Hammer.
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

The Sewer The Sewer wrote:Christiane F - A German film about drugs

But the music was excellent.
Not a bad film..but the book is 20 times better.

The Shuttered Room with Oliver Reed. God, THAT DOOR!
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

One that has stuck with me from about the age of five to this day and only the 40 plus dudes on here will probably remember it. The Singing Ringing Tree from the Tales from Europe series during the 60's. A cruel mad-fuck dwarf who maroons a goggle-eyed rubber fish in the bottom of a pond.

In the 70's.... the opening sequence to Appointment with Fear horror film series. Lots of shape-shifting faces and radiophonic workshop bleeps and squidges followed by first film that gave me nightmares, after pleading with mi dad to let me stay up and watch it .... The Ghost of Frankenstein. Just looked this up on IMDB......... 1942 :shock:
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

The bit that got me in Salem's Lot was when the vamp jumps out on the bloke in jail. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
For shock value, it certainly compares with the hand at the end of Carrie, and the Daddy of them all - the head in the boat in Jaws (my Mum has not been swimming in the sea since watching this in the mid 1970's). :shock:
For proper scary, The Omen did it for me at the time - very tame though, by today's standards.
Black Leather Jacket

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

PaulinLondon wrote: And then that fucker moment in Jaws (as Apollo 79 makes reference to) when the head floats out of the bottom of the boat. :shock:

Horrible. :oops:
I snuck into the local cinema with my older friends.I was about 10 and that head gave me nightmares for months.I had to sleep with the light on for the next 2 years and I still can't watch Horror films! :smt005
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Black Leather Jacket wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote: And then that fucker moment in Jaws (as Apollo 79 makes reference to) when the head floats out of the bottom of the boat. :shock:

Horrible. :oops:
I snuck into the local cinema with my older friends.I was about 10 and that head gave me nightmares for months.I had to sleep with the light on for the next 2 years and I still can't watch Horror films! :smt005

I remember watchin g this bit as a kid, psyching myself up as I'd already been warned about it at school- "Okay, the heads
gonna come out of the boat, the heads gonna come out of the boat, the heads AAAARRGH!!"
Still shat myself when it happened. :lol: