Last book read

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

BikerinBlack
Rats Rally

Re: Last book read

Post by BikerinBlack »

Reg Harris
The rise and fall of Britain's greatest cyclist.

By Robert Dineen.
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

god is not great, christopher hitchens
Someone like you?
Rats Rally

Post by Someone like you? »

Recently read,(then re-read ) Helen Hollicks` 2 books on The Godwines/Godwinsons, mainly about Harold II,and his fore-bears. 2nd book,Harold the King, just re-read.
If ya into all things Saxon/Norse/Norman,then I recommend her very highly indeed.
Helen also works on tv/films as an historical adviser so she knows her stuff. All dates,characters are vigorously researched. Yet un-like some writers of this genre, she never missess the mark. All woven with believable characters.
Good stuff- cracking read.
"The future of Britain? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"
Someone like you?
Rats Rally

Bernard (any relation to Hugh) Cornwell, Death of kings, 6th,last in the Warlord Chronicles.
Read this last month, I didn`t realise this book was out, so ordered,read it!
He always delivers. Some situations,storylines are more based on "What might`ve happened" as opposed to being historically accurate.
Very good characters,very good character interaction. Goodies are deep thinkers,their thinking/actions always explained. The baddies always totally dispicable!
I like the way Bernard sets his pieces,builds upto situations/plots and always decribes the tiny people/characters.
Good read.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I am reading this for the fifth time since I think I was about 12 years old.

It is so bloody good.

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

PaulinLondon wrote:I am reading this for the fifth time since I think I was about 12 years old.

It is so bloody good.

They all were...
Claireinblack
kent
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Agreed, the Bond books are grittier and more succinct than the films, love 'em.
No one can win against kipple.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Put Me Back on My Bike by William Fotheringham – biography of Tom Simpson who was the first Brit to wear the yellow jersey and who died during the 1967 Tour de France, a combination of drugs, illness and exhaustion. Lance Armstrong’s not that special, is anything going to change?

Boy Racer – Mark Cavendish. A more up to date story of pro cycling. Surprised that taking massive doses of caffeine in the last few kilometres is acceptable practice.

The Reason Why, the Miracle of Life on Earth by John Gribbin. This reasons how unlikely it is that another technological life form has evolved in the universe (Fermi Paradox “Where is everybody?).
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Konstantin by Tom Bullock
Fictionalised account of the life of Konstantin Tsiolkovsky who developed the first theoretical proof of the viability of space travel in 1880’s Russia. Makes you realise that the dreamers of today could be shaping the future.

Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman
11 year old boy recently arrived in London from Ghana, investigates the death of an older boy stabbed near his flats. Some great interpretations of vernacular English.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

"We Are DEVO!"

A book about Devo no less. Very interesting.
sparrow
SHAKESPEARO

Post by sparrow »

Graham Masterton's The Devils of D Day...must be getting old..I read this when I was a teen so thought it would be good to revisit it. A very unsettling read and disturbing but also shite.. :lol:
Someone like you?
Rats Rally

sparrow wrote:Graham Masterton's The Devils of D Day...must be getting old..I read this when I was a teen so thought it would be good to revisit it. A very unsettling read and disturbing but also shite.. :lol:
Sounds good that,googled it,might have to order from my local library.

Justin Hill - ShieldWall
Set 50+ years before Hastings,1066 (and all that). Follows Harold Godwinsons ancestors. THE BEST novel on all things, Saxon/Norse/Viking/Norman, I`ve read in a LONG time. Cant wait for the sequel, (out this year).