Last book read

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Last book read

Post by zontar »

ME, THE MOB, AND THE MUSIC: ONE HELLUVA RIDE, by Tommy James, one of those breezy reads that seem over shortly after you've begun.

James may have been a 60's lightweight, but his perspective is unique. Few artists can claim to have sold 20 million albums and singles in a short 18 mos... all without collecting a dime in royalties. The music racket is a rigged game, but it's ramped to a whole 'nother level when your label has heavy mob ties. The Strangs may have dealt with some crazy shit in their day, but I doubt they were ever advised to lay low because their label head was caught in the middle of a gang war.

James survived on concert fees and hard-fought, fitful advances, but there were perks to having a dark genie on yer side. Fancy using an arranger employed with a rival? Your label boss, backed by thug minions, uses strongarm tactics that make Peter Grant look genteel. The arranger materializes at your studio. Want to collaborate with a writer signed to another publisher? Guys with crooked noses (some of whom meet grisly fates) deliver the trembling tunesmith to your door.

Recommended to anyone contemplating a deal with the devil. Incidentally, the "Mony Mony" title came about when James spied a blinking sign outside his Manhattan apartment, advertising the insurance firm Mutual Of New York.
Notabadbandatall

Post by Notabadbandatall »

Just re read Animal Farm - Excellent stuff
scouserat
Rats Rally

Post by scouserat »

The Timbers of Justice ,A graphic and fascinating look at the history of the Guillotine,i was gobsmacked to learn the last time it was used was in Paris 1972 :shock:
themaninblack1963

Post by themaninblack1963 »

I am just re-reading "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" by Robert Tressell a brilliant book!
Come on you Warriors!!!
dreamtime101

Post by dreamtime101 »

themaninblack1963 wrote:I am just re-reading "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" by Robert Tressell a brilliant book!
Surely one of the greatest books ever written, I re-read it myself every few years. It's still so relevant after all these years. 8)
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Showbusiness by Mark Radcliffe (the DJ) with one unfavourable passage about a early stranglers gig but a hilarious report on his days with the (then still un political) Skrewdriver.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

The Aquariums of Pyongyang ...
NMH1965
Ugly
Ugly

Post by NMH1965 »

140.jpg
140.jpg (5.17 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Another excellent book in the Starbuck Chronicles
n123751.jpg
n123751.jpg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
More death and destruction from the 27th (Penal) Panzer Regiment

:?
The day is sticky yellow!!
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

n123751.jpg
More death and destruction from the 27th (Penal) Panzer Regiment [/quote]

8)

Haven't read one of them since school!! Legionnaire & Porta - Liquidate Paris, Wheels of Terror - EXCELLENT.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I recommend this. Extraordinary research by the author.

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
paul b

Post by paul b »

fuck thought i'd stumbled on to some neo nazi site then :shock:
good job i can't read :roll:
"i'd crawl over 50 good pussies just to get to 1 fat boys asshole"
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

Murder in Samarkand by Craig Murray. Cracking read, plus, I get a mention in the book!