Buying on the day of release....

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Buying on the day of release....

Post by saminblack »

While writing a piece about how good The Light is (see 'Songs') I used the phrase about buying Coup De Grace on the 'day of releaase'.

It got me thinking how long everyone here has bought Stranglers (or solo) stuff on the day of release for?

Rattus was the first punk album I ever bought but it certainly wasn't on day of release although I did do that with Black and White as I wanted to make sure I got the free single.

But my real 'everything on day of release from.....' began with Thrown Away. I bought that on the day it came out - after bugging the record shop boss for days before - and I have bought every single Stranglers album/single on the day it came out ever since whatever the 'mark'. (I do recall finding it difficult to get Lies and Deception and Sugar Bullets straight away because we had some crap record shops but as soon as they were actually available to buy I had them so I think that counts)

Has anyone else done the same? If so when did you start doing this sad thing - and who has the longest record of doing this on this?
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Buying on the day of release....

Post by gizzard »

Duchess was the first I bought on day of release and everything from then on. :smt001
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

First Stranglers single/EP I bought on the same day were Nuclear Device single & Don't Bring Harry EP which were both in my local record shops bargain bin (as they had done so badly in the charts) at 30p each!! They both had picture sleeves as well! First single I bought on release date was Thrown Away (I think Jan 1981!).
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

In accordance with Sam on this one - remember hurtling down to Good Vibrations Record Shop (or maybe Caroline Music??) on lunchbreak at school with a few of my mates to make sure we all got the free E.P. with Black and White.

Ever since that day - be it from a 'local shop' or via mail order - I have tried to ensure I got every release on the day it was issued.

N.B. Last two albums were actually obtained a couple of days prior to official release date as the proprietor of a local independent store (now defunct :evil: ) used to 'leak' new releases to regular punters.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
helgy
Ugly
Ugly

Post by helgy »

Thinking about it it would have been Duchess onwards used to go to record village in scunny.Alternatively stopped doing it just after Dreamtime then started again with Lies and deception.
I know what you mean Mully there are no independants in Lincolnshire now.
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

First album bought on day of release was Black & White.

First single - 5 Minutes. Managed to buy all the singles ever since on day of release except for J.L.N.O.E. (fucked if I could find that anywhere :cry: )
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

It was great as a kid getting the bus into town then going to the record shop buying the latest Stranglers release on day of release. Then getting the bus back and unwrapping the selophane and reading the sleeve notes on the way home. I still do it but reading the sleevenotes is more likely to take place over a pint in the nearest boozer

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

theraven1979 wrote:It was great as a kid getting the bus into town then going to the record shop buying the latest Stranglers release on day of release. Then getting the bus back and unwrapping the selophane and reading the sleeve notes on the way home. I still do it but reading the sleevenotes is more likely to take place over a pint in the nearest boozer

Jim
That's if you are able read the bloody small sleevenotes you get in CD's these days. :roll: :evil:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
The Bee
Rats Rally

Post by The Bee »

i remember buying Walk on by on day of release and some of the big kids in school couldn't believe that I had bought the full version of the shelf as they had only got the shortened version( WH Smith Ealing Broadway). Everything after that. A lad who worked with us part time in the early 80's had a full time job with EMI, so I asked him about getting me a copy of Feline with the freebie before it's official release. I turned up at work on the Saturday, 10 days or so before the release and there he was with the album in his hands. Brilliant. As he passed me the album the 7" fell out on the floor smashing it to bits, I could have cried but I still got the album a week early.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

The Bee wrote:i remember buying Walk on by on day of release and some of the big kids in school couldn't believe that I had bought the full version of the shelf as they had only got the shortened version( WH Smith Ealing Broadway). Everything after that. A lad who worked with us part time in the early 80's had a full time job with EMI, so I asked him about getting me a copy of Feline with the freebie before it's official release. I turned up at work on the Saturday, 10 days or so before the release and there he was with the album in his hands. Brilliant. As he passed me the album the 7" fell out on the floor smashing it to bits, I could have cried but I still got the album a week early.

Great story Bee :grin: :grin:

PS Frankly I could have cried when I heard the free 7 inch single! WTF was that all about!!!!!!
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
The Bee
Rats Rally

Post by The Bee »

saminblack wrote:
The Bee wrote:i remember buying Walk on by on day of release and some of the big kids in school couldn't believe that I had bought the full version of the shelf as they had only got the shortened version( WH Smith Ealing Broadway). Everything after that. A lad who worked with us part time in the early 80's had a full time job with EMI, so I asked him about getting me a copy of Feline with the freebie before it's official release. I turned up at work on the Saturday, 10 days or so before the release and there he was with the album in his hands. Brilliant. As he passed me the album the 7" fell out on the floor smashing it to bits, I could have cried but I still got the album a week early.

Great story Bee :grin: :grin:

PS Frankly I could have cried when I heard the free 7 inch single! WTF was that all about!!!!!!
I agree. If I'd known, I would have dropped it intentionally. Maybe the bloke I got it off had heard it and was trying to save me.