Links to downloads etc

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

theraven1979 wrote:Changing the subject? :P

Jim
Homer wrote:Oooer !!! Who is Eurochick :lol:
Its always the same Jim, driving down the street chatting,pretty lady walks by.......... :oops:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

haha awesome

Jim :lol:
Homer wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Changing the subject? :P

Jim
Homer wrote:Oooer !!! Who is Eurochick :lol:
Its always the same Jim, driving down the street chatting,pretty lady walks by.......... :oops:
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

steveareno wrote:Don't the band & their management realise that it's the availability of live material, such as that posted in the downloads section, that maintains interest in the band ? It seems to me that the admirable posters on this site who download gigs, etc. are doing the band a great service & should be thanked rather than hunted down. The work that goes into cleaning up old recordings, posting atrwork, etc. puts the band & their record label to shame. The content of the live section plugs a gap that bands (not just The Stranglers) have always failed to plug. What harm is there in downloading a gig from the '80 or '81 US Tours for example ? I've heard Hugh in the past extolling the virtues of bootlegs. The guys who have kindly went to the trouble of posting gigs for us forum members to download do so because they are all Stranglers devotees, they don't do it for any financial renumeration. Indeed, they have went to great lengths to stop recordings appearing on e-bay & the like.
Who was it who said "by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts" - the band themselves when talking about Strangled !!
Well, as far as I'm concerned, sites like Jim's do the job of the band's management, who have failed to replace Strangled & can't even provide a worthwhile official site. For them (& I'm only presuming it is they who have raised the objection) to cut-off the hand that feeds them is incredulous. The live material posted here is far better than the uninteresting live material which is released officially. Do we really need another official live CD from 2004/2005 ? We've been listening to the same set list for the past four years anyway !!
Get your act together Sil & team and remember they are OUR band more than they are your band !! Most of us have been following the band for 25 years + through thick & thin.

Steveareno.
Well said indeed Steve!

And yes Jim why now??

SIS,the management and even to some extent the band need a kick up the backside!
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Skin Deep
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Skin Deep »

OK Jim. Point taken. But I still don't understand why now? Surely something could have been done to foil the ebay cnuts. :x

It's just a bloody shame that's all. :(

Now I'm going off for a good cry. :cry:
"Life shows no mercy."

Post by Guest »

No, Homer and leoJ!! Eurochick is NOT Kate Bush!! But cheers for the compliment, made my day!!!!

xx
cassydale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by cassydale »

Eurochick wrote:No, Homer and leoJ!! Eurochick is NOT Kate Bush!! But cheers for the compliment, made my day!!!!

xx
I,m not convinced,Can we see more ? :wink:
John.H.

I Should Have Wrapped You Up And Kept You Safe,Instead I Turned My Back On You.

Post by Guest »

cassydale wrote:
Eurochick wrote:No, Homer and leoJ!! Eurochick is NOT Kate Bush!! But cheers for the compliment, made my day!!!!

xx
Oy!!! Behave yourself John H!!!! :oops:
mabus

Post by mabus »

steveareno wrote:Don't the band & their management realise that it's the availability of live material, such as that posted in the downloads section, that maintains interest in the band ? It seems to me that the admirable posters on this site who download gigs, etc. are doing the band a great service & should be thanked rather than hunted down. The work that goes into cleaning up old recordings, posting atrwork, etc. puts the band & their record label to shame. The content of the live section plugs a gap that bands (not just The Stranglers) have always failed to plug. What harm is there in downloading a gig from the '80 or '81 US Tours for example ? I've heard Hugh in the past extolling the virtues of bootlegs. The guys who have kindly went to the trouble of posting gigs for us forum members to download do so because they are all Stranglers devotees, they don't do it for any financial renumeration. Indeed, they have went to great lengths to stop recordings appearing on e-bay & the like.
Who was it who said "by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts" - the band themselves when talking about Strangled !!
Well, as far as I'm concerned, sites like Jim's do the job of the band's management, who have failed to replace Strangled & can't even provide a worthwhile official site. For them (& I'm only presuming it is they who have raised the objection) to cut-off the hand that feeds them is incredulous. The live material posted here is far better than the uninteresting live material which is released officially. Do we really need another official live CD from 2004/2005 ? We've been listening to the same set list for the past four years anyway !!
Get your act together Sil & team and remember they are OUR band more than they are your band !! Most of us have been following the band for 25 years + through thick & thin.

Steveareno.
Admiral sentiments, but a tad naive I believe. Remember this is the same Stranglers [or by extension management] that.

1 Stopped Hugh using lyrics he wrote in his own book.

2 Threatened to pull out of a festival in Whitby unless Hugh, who was scheduled for the day before, was cancelled.

3 Stopped 4More heroes using their logo after some 4MH flyers were put on a Stranglers merchandise stall.

4 In a recent webchat Paul when asked about his feelings on fans downloading free live mp3's replied 'I don't mind as long as we get paid for it'

The fact of the matter is that ebay is just the modern equivilent to the record fairs of the 80s - I remember spending £20 plus dodgy videos and about £5 for live tape...........this in itself has propogated a culture of stranglers[product] being a buyable commodity. Rare gigs became official releases because there was a market for them, they were saught after.

Now providing fans with free access to live gigs and rare stuff is a total anathema for Stranglers & management. A culture of 'free is the norm' has become prevailant. The free live downloads have totally diluted the value of official releases, and it is certainly affecting sales. Notice how many people wouldnt buy Hughs £1.99 single, but were quick to download his live stuff! Some actually wanted his 7inch single bonus tracks for free rather than pay £1.99
I can also remember someone thanking me for posting the mp3 remix of life's To Short' stating 'Great! I wont have to buy the LBV single now'
Ironically eBay works in the opposite way and increases the interest in an official release.
Think of it this way.....
How well would Live X Cert or ALAAOTNight have done if they [or similar clones] were readily available for free beforehand? Neither would have been top 10 thats for sure.
Now imagine, if, after the Norfolk Coast tour, there was no 'free to Download' Paris gig, no other freely available gigs floating around.

Imagine it.

What would the demand be like for Coast to Coast??? I think it would have gotten quite a respectable chart placing.......but unfortunately the worth of it has been so diluted that a lot of fans just shrug and think 'well i've got Paris why shell out £14 on this?'

I think Hugh's triple CD will partly suffer the same fate, A lot of people have heard many of the songs that otherwise might have been the sole reason for buying it Sewer etc.

This [rant] is not a go at anyone in particular, but I find it ridiculous that people on here slate the ebayers selling[its the BUYERS NOT SELLERS that negotiate the stupid high prices] while giving stuff away for free.
There is no grey area, it can all be construed as taking sales away from the Stranglers, and that includes selling an official release and keeping the copy!!! its just that giving away for free actually dilutes the worth and reduces the chances of an official release.

Glass Houses! Stones etc
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

So it's really all another case of.... (assume Cartman voice from South Park) "sniff! sniff! I understan' that little live recordings previously unavailable brings much joy into people's worlds but..WE'RE NOT MAKIN' ANY MONEY OFF THIS, SO FUCK YOU GUYS WHO HAVE BOUGHT ALL OUR RECORDS FOR 25 YEARS!."

No matter that it's 20 years old and they'd never have the desire, ability or resources to make a few phonecalls, clean all these up, then send them out in a beautifully illustrated dvd set that we'd all happily pay 50 quid for.

There's not much integrity, insight or dignity there.
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
cassydale

Post by cassydale »

Eurochick wrote:
cassydale wrote:

xx
Oy!!! Behave yourself John H!!!! :oops:
Sorry :oops:
John.H.

I Should Have Wrapped You Up And Kept You Safe,Instead I Turned My Back On You.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I think Mabus is spot on re-the uploading/downloading of recent 'live' Hugh & Stranglers appearances.

I almost didn't buy the 'Coast To Coast' cd, such was the quality of the Paris gig I downloaded last year. And I always buy the proper, officially released stuff. I decided to order the album last week almost as a matter of principle. Misguided? Maybe.

The tracks from the upcoming Hugh cd were made available last year, weren't they? Some quality recordings as well. As with 'Coast To Coast', some people won't buy it because they feel that they have the product already.

This freebie culture will be affecting new releases, no doubt imho - and quite rightly there will be some pissed off people out there.

However, I do see Shah's point about some of the old recordings that will never see the light of day.

"Talk about money!" :(