Links to downloads etc

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

The thing that pisses me off is that I have spent since 1978 thousands of pounds following the Stranglers, Be that travelling all over the uk to see gigs or/and buying every release in every format, but then to see that we have had this download stuff taken from us is a joke as far as I am concerned because we are all die-hard fans who have followed the band through thick and thin and then we get treated like this!
Its about time(no pun intended) that we the fans were given something back in return because after all it's 'us' that got the band where they are today.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

I'm not sure that anyone's been publically attacked, anyway...

To my mind there's much less live stuff available these days than there used to be. Back in the HC days you could easily get tapes of (just about) entire UK tours eg: Feline and Aural Scuplture.
The strike rate for all UK tours post 1990 is much less. It's picked up a bit recently but it's still nothing like it used to be (from 1981-1990). More to do with the popularity of the band than anything else.
So the idea that digital technology has increased trade/demand is frankly bollocks, certainly for The Stranglers anyway. It's simply easier and much more visible, that's all, although quality has improved significantly too.

Now, before I ask a plumber, has anyone got a mixing desk or top quality audience from the UK Black and White tour?
This can't be undone

Post by Guest »

Controversy aside, I shall continue to support the guys. Afterall, they are only trying to protect their own interests. If we ,as fans, keep downloading, uploading, streaming and ripping off their material then they won't have any unseen/unheard material left to release at a later date, should they require/wish to do so.

If we really love this band and want to see them go from strength to strength then lets do the right thing by them, BUY their stuff and stop stealing the bread from out of their mouths.
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

icecube wrote:The strike rate for all UK tours post 1990 is much less. It's picked up a bit recently but it's still nothing like it used to be (from 1981-1990). More to do with the popularity of the band than anything else.
So the idea that digital technology has increased trade/demand is frankly bollocks, certainly for The Stranglers anyway.
Fair point. Such an all encompassing action would be more in keeping with a huge band of the moment (say the Kaiser Chiefs). For such a band, with a large, probably younger audience (with less disposable income?), the ready availability of bootleg material may result in significant losses in sales. For a band like the Stranglers, the availability of predominantly archive material could be argued to have the opposite effect and promote record sales by maintaining a higher profile for the band than they may otherwise expect.

...besides which we are mostly old, bald, fat and loaded (?) so we will buy all the official releases as well!
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

adriana wrote: ...besides which we are mostly old, bald, fat and loaded (?)
Speak for yourself, why don't you!
Did the PO deliver by the way?
This can't be undone

adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

Yeah ice, sorry about that and thanks again!

Unfortunately I cannot clam to be loaded either (but do buy official material as well), I am just narked by the whole thing!
Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich »

Not only, as Gizz and Adrian have pointed out, have we spent loads of money over the last 30ish years, we have - due to this site (one of the main conduits to unofficial material) - rallied round to co-ordinate recharting The Stranglers with BTC after God knows how many years. How chuffed was Paul with seeing himself at No.32?

I would guess that the vast majority of the people who post on here buy any official release no matter how much unofficial stuff is available, so the loss of income argument just doesn't hold water - I would even go as far as to suggest the opposite.

I can understand the SBE thing, but knocking the pre-1990 stuff on the head is a tad shortsighted.

Disappointed but not surprised.

Rich.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

theraven1979 wrote: The band seem a little distant from the fans at the moment
Seems they're a bit distant from a recording studio as well :P
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

Frederik wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: The band seem a little distant from the fans at the moment
This is a serious issue for a band, it would be useful for them to have some idea of the feelings being expressed in this thread.... any messengers out there?
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

adriana wrote:If it is brought to ebay's attention that a recording is unoffical and contravenes site policy then the item will be removed.
It appears that more often than not eBay do not remove these items, eBay must rake in a fair wad of dollars from the selling fees.

Search the completed items, considering bootlegs for other artists as well there must be £1000's worth of bootlegs sold every month.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

paulinblack wrote:Amazing that everyone has assumed that it is the Stranglers camp that have got the hump - Could be Hugh's folk
Probably EMI, watch out for a bumper box set picture disc compilation
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Eurochick wrote:they won't have any unseen/unheard material left.
Supply and demand - they just need to keep releasing new stuff faster than it can be downloaded - simple :oops: :lol: