Links to downloads etc

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

That's the long and the short of folks. Nowt more I can add. Well summarised our Jim.
theraven1979 wrote:There are many differences between a bootleg album (bootleg is the wrong word for what we're talking about - we're talking about FANS RECORDINGS - no one is setting up a CD duplicating warehouse and banging these out for money - all that stuff is on Ebay not here) and an official live CD, sure the fan's recording is 99% inferior in sound but the main difference is this:-

The band, record company etc have all gained permission for the recording to be released and because of this everyone concerned with the release will make a bit of money off it and all is above board and it's a recording that the band are happy with. If the fans have all downloaded an inferior bootleg recording then they might not be that keen to purchase the official recording - well that's probably what the band think but then again not everyone is as sad as us lot and will buy everything the band release.

I guess looking back making a fans recording of SBE available for download wasn't such a great idea really - Of course none of us thought about it cos sure the DVD will be out this year hopefully and we'll all be buying it anyway.

Lets remember that the songs performed belong to the band and not us lot! however much we've all spent over the years. WE are the fans and whether you're in the Hugh camp, the Strangler camp or both I'd say that we all make the purchase whether it's on day of release or the next month.

If the band, record company, management or whoever expresses a dislike to fans uploading their recordings of gigs to share with fellow fans then we must respect that view which is why I removed all links to download sites from this forum and is probably why the other sites followed suit.

Jim
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

fair enough the band want to preserve revenue, but the underlying point behind all this is that it is now 2006 and the Stranglers can't handle MP3s and the internet...où sont vos couilles groupe de chats?
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

Yeah...whatever he said about his pussy.

Sadly, I will probably not get the SBE DVD as I am in a different DVD zone and I doubt it will be universal.

So I get all the scraps I can....
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
marcoshark
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Blunted by Community...

Post by marcoshark »

Do what I did and buy a multi-region player. Best money I ever spent imho.

shah wrote:Yeah...whatever he said about his pussy.

Sadly, I will probably not get the SBE DVD as I am in a different DVD zone and I doubt it will be universal.

Okay, so I can understand Jimbo having to make changes. BUT, one group of musicans that you should also look at for a business model is (oy, I am going to get it now from you lot) The greatful Dead. Yeah, those guys. As i understand it, they have always had specific areas set up in their concerts for fan recordings. In fact, some of these have made it to regular release (I think they are called "Dick's Pick's") You do not hear about the remaining band members crying about lost revenues. It seems that The Dead and their fans have a way for both parties to be pleased.

I appreciated what you lot (Dom and Co) have made available because fu*k knows when I can make the trip over the big pond. Then there is the whole thing about when Hugh or The Stranglers are coming back this way (and consider I am now in Florida makes those chances even less) Will I purchase CtC? Hell yeah, unless the mechandising people screw up my order(s) like the last time.

So Jim, I take it then that the DVD project is now sacked as well?

:evil:
“1a) Never throw shit at an armed man.
1b) Never stand next to someone who is throwing shit at an armed man.”
― Larry Niven, N-Space
Alenyx
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Alenyx »

Personally I just wonder why they've been waiting so long to do sth about the downloads....

@Shah: There are usually ways to change the settings of your dvd player... Just type the name of your player + change code or sth on google.... there are people on forums and newsgroups explaining how to do this...

shah wrote:Yeah...whatever he said about his pussy.

Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Cola Can »

I haven't bothered reading all of the above responses but I find it disappointing that the links are going. From my perspective the freebies linked through here have really rekindled my interest in whats going on.

I feel people buy bootlegs or download them because they want PRODUCT. If the band want to get paid for this stuff then fucking release it for fucks sake! How many of us would go out and buy a DVD release of the Battersea gig? Loads. Instead we get served up shit San Francisco bollocks. What do they expect us to do? Be grateful? I'd love to know what an average Joe Punter thinks of that release. Waste of money and a complete rip off!

I have alway thought that if there is one thing lacking from the band, apart from the studio albums, it is other decent product to keep the fans interest going.

The official web site was mentioned the other day. How many of us look at that before coming on here? I always go here first and someitimes find it is days before I look at Rats Lair.

If this all so sensitive pehaps the band could make the recordings of gigs available at a reasonable price through Rats Lair?

We are now in the digital age. This makes recording and reproducing gigs etc very easy. I suggest that the band stop having a luddite point of view and wake up and smell the coffee.

This site proves there is a demand from these "bootleg" recordings. If the band stopped being so precious they could keep a lot of people very happy.
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow
HARRY
Down In The Sewer

Post by HARRY »

steveareno wrote: Steveareno.
Splendid post !!
I'm with you.

This band is not the stranglers anymore...remember "f off with love the stranglers"...gone are those days.
HARRY
Down In The Sewer

Post by HARRY »

Eddy Burnel deux wrote:the availability of live Stranglers recordings is limited to say the least via official sources, so the band should feel guilty about reducing the amount of pleasure propper fans are getting. Its about time they got off their arses regarding the internet and signed Dom/Crass up to run a PROPER! Stranglers website where members (paying like we did for Strangled) can get access to the quality live stuff....

GET WITH IT STRANGLERS! Considering every other avenue you have explored with perfection, you are absolute donkeys when it comes to the internet.....SORT IT OUT!

I'm with U !
Même si ça ne compte pas... :lol:
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

All this does is drive it 'underground' again.

I've always been of the opinion, that, if it is on general release and easily obtainable through legit means, then 'Bootlegging' is wrong.

However, if something is 'deleted' and unavailable, then it's fair game.
I'm not denying payment to the artist, as they obviously don't want it, or it would be on release.

What next, artists wanting paid for people selling on 2nd hand 45s'/Lps'/CDs'.

Will it deminish my interest in things MIB?
Maybe a tad :cry:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

End of the day it should be The Stranglers (& management) decision and we have to respect that. I'm not totally au fait with the extent of what was available but I thought it was rare demos, live MP3s, radio sessions, odd video footage - but nothing on commercial release.

Does it harm the band? That's very hard to quantify - but you can be sure that there will always be somebody out to make a quick buck and it is probably those people that have prompted the band to take action.

At the JJ event in Leeds my mate asked him about his thoughts on MP3 downloads and the response was (along the lines of) - live stuff he doesn't mind but something that has been worked on is a finished, polished body of work and that is different.

To be honest I think that upload/download area was just TOO GOOD!! Perhaps if it had not been so damn extensive things would've plodded on. Couple that with the recent ebay sellers and it gets iffy.

What is a shame though is due to all the licensing costs to make all those clips commercially available they would never see the light of day officially.

Oh well. I can't whinge as I don't encourage it on The Damned message board either!
HARRY
Down In The Sewer

Post by HARRY »

mabus wrote:[Coast to Coast could have been a monster hit this year

Where ???

In china ?

Who's doing the promotion of this one ?
JJ (live acoustic)????
Baz (live acoustic)???
Paul (la vida santana???....sorry I can't stop laughing..)

Can you here somewher the stranglers on the air????
Wich radio?????

Beuark..this thing about the download section stinks...that's all.

A monster hit..don't make me laugh.

We are not talking about the Stones.
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Cola Can wrote:If this all so sensitive pehaps the band could make the recordings of gigs available at a reasonable price through Rats Lair?
Perhaps they're too busy flogging them on eBay :lol: :lol: