Links to downloads etc

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks Mark

Funny when you go to a gig now and everyone's there with their mobile in the air.

I was mates with Louisa and Cap knew who I was and spotted me pogoing in the crowd.

Did you catch the support band at Rios one year? It was "Orange Alert" now 4 More Heroes (first time I saw them). Also, can you remember that gig at Rios where the girl had to be stretchered out? Not nice - I was right next to her when it happened.

Jim

markorbit wrote:Jim, The Damned don't approve of any unofficial filming of gigs. Now that you can record stuff on mobiles it is very hard to stop. There was a period in the early 90s however when they regularly did allow someone from their own team to do it. I believe that all the master tapes of these were sold on ebay a couple of years back.

I would have been at that Bradford gig but I don't collect video bootlegs. Not for any snotty reason, I just find the official release is all I need, I'm a stickler for a decent sound these days.

I delete any posts offering bootlegs and such, it's just the way I set the stall out at the beginning when I was very wary of getting into legal trouble - it doesn't happen much at all and there is actually another board that someone set up to discuss rarities and such. So they can go there and I'm happy not to go there too often but all in all I don't come across much bootleg stuff myself.

Tell you the truth, some of the 70s/80s gigs were great, but you had to be there to appreciate it! Whereas even back in the 70s The Stranglers were very 'professional' live. So I would actually enjoy an old Stanglers boot more. These days the Damned can bring a much more progressive/psychedelic vibe to the evening which I prefer.

Is it an interesting story why you got namechecked Jim? 8)

Oh - glad we had the explanation Dom. Makes sense.
theraven1979 wrote:Was gonna ask you a question but you answered it in your last sentance. You ever thought about something similar? I guess Cap wouldn`t mind? There always seems to be a bloke with video camera at every Damned gig. I`m after a gig of theirs from Bradford Rio's about 5 years back when I get namechecked.

Jim
markorbit wrote:End of the day it should be The Stranglers (& management) decision and we have to respect that. I'm not totally au fait with the extent of what was available but I thought it was rare demos, live MP3s, radio sessions, odd video footage - but nothing on commercial release.

Does it harm the band? That's very hard to quantify - but you can be sure that there will always be somebody out to make a quick buck and it is probably those people that have prompted the band to take action.

At the JJ event in Leeds my mate asked him about his thoughts on MP3 downloads and the response was (along the lines of) - live stuff he doesn't mind but something that has been worked on is a finished, polished body of work and that is different.

To be honest I think that upload/download area was just TOO GOOD!! Perhaps if it had not been so damn extensive things would've plodded on. Couple that with the recent ebay sellers and it gets iffy.

What is a shame though is due to all the licensing costs to make all those clips commercially available they would never see the light of day officially.

Oh well. I can't whinge as I don't encourage it on The Damned message board either!
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
daniellameijvis
Rats Rally

Post by daniellameijvis »

Can I try to bring this to a head?

Let me state for once and for all some facts, please don't overanalyse but obviously the lack of facts has led to some speculation as to what was "said", and some of the more negative comments about the band and management are way off the mark. So here goes, and I hope this doesn't provoke more pontificating in everyone's fertile imaginations...

Facts about what happened:

* The only download discussed was SBE 2005
* Any threat of legal recourse was indicated to me to be coming from the film company that paid substantial amounts for exclusive video and audio rights, not The Stranglers or the management themselves
* The removal of any other material was the only logical response in the face of an eventuality of legal investigation
* It was in fact members of the band that made a case and supported me to stop any action being taken.

So thank you Stranglers and management for taking a mature view of events.

Let's end this now. Move on. Thanks to all of you who took time out to offer me support.

Dom P
I am verry glad for you Dom that it's going alright with you does this mean you can bring back the uploads again ot not?
DANIELLA
christopher
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by christopher »

Dom you are a lucky man ,that the band stepped into to save your ass........

Film companies hate "bootlegging" and have lost millions through it.....
As far as the music bussiness goes they have been ripping joe public off for years.

Dom thanks for rekindling my intrest in the band again with all sorts of things, and I listend to the Paris gig before I bought Norfolk Coast and it was on the strength of that that me go to see the band twice last year ,and JJ himself at king tuts.........
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

christopher wrote:Film companies hate "bootlegging" and have lost millions through it.....
Surely they have been losing that by paying the likes of Stallone, Hanks et al 25 Mil+$ for a film.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a great deal of difference from someone copyng a dvd for personal use to an organised gang producing 1000's at a time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember the 'Home Taping is killing Music' campaign all those many years ago?

Did it? NOwas the answer.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

theraven1979 wrote:Thanks Mark

Did you catch the support band at Rios one year? It was "Orange Alert" now 4 More Heroes (first time I saw them). Also, can you remember that gig at Rios where the girl had to be stretchered out? Not nice - I was right next to her when it happened.

Jim
Yes I do vaguly remember Orange Alert from that show, seem to remember their keyboard player, me and Monty from the Damned talking some shit or other afterwards anyway!

And I do remember the story about the girl having to be stretchered out although maybe I missed that one for some reason.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZgeorgedraigQQhtZ-1

Making money from live recordings has to be the ultimate issue?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

theraven1979 wrote:http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZgeorgedraigQQhtZ-1

Making money from live recordings has to be the ultimate issue?

Jim

Jim,

I totaly agree with you - it is the money-making people who should be the target.

The real fans (on this site) have had an excellent facility withdrawn from them due to the commerciality of others (although I fully understand why you had to do this to protect this excellent site).

I would like to point out that whilst I am based in Wales, I am definitely NOT the person on e-bay who is selling these items. I want to competely distance myself from any such activity.

Let's hope that the whole thing blows over quickly and we can all get back to some sense of normality - even if this means limiting the file sharing to Mk1 and Mk2 gigs only.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

One of the people at work just sent me this link :

www.pandora.com

It's quite clever but probably not as scientific as they would like to think they are. Try The Stranglers for starters.

Paul
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Paul, See: (discussed a wee while back)
http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/foru ... highlight=

And now, if you'll allow me my 2p worth as I'm just back and I've just found this thread.

It looks we're back to square one again wherein the only handy place out with record fairs to get any bootlegs is back on ebay. Where it's not supposed to be allowed. And we're paying the tossers that are only in it for the money again. How does this help?

I can take on board the argument about recent gigs appearing days later and that, but one of the good things about this site (and "fan" sites for other artists I've visited) was that they were manned by devotees and obsessives, and most of the ones I spoke to had hardly ever (if at all) forked out money on bootlegs, as the idea of sharing and passing on amongst like minded folk was actively and gladly encouraged. No money changed hands, and "rare" recordings already in the "public domain" were to be copied and shared, not sold to make a fast buck. I've benefited by this generosity myself- being happy sent items that frequently turn up on ebay at prices that would make you wince.

In my opinion it's just us obsessives maintaining our obsession. And one of the (sadly)obvious things about obsessive collectors is that they will still fork out for any comparable official release even if they already have 3 different bootleg versions of the same release. And even if nothing about the official release but the cover artwork has changed since the last time the product was officialy released. Cynical record companies have surely noticed this by now.

As I said, I understand where the parties involved are coming from re the SBE recording, so if I can suggest a compromise:
Mk1 stuff only.
Who can that hurt? It only maintains/regenerates interest as far as I can see.
And all this from a guy who could never take advantage of the upload section, but has, in the words of that bint from that movie, "Always relied on the kindness of strangers".
Cheers again.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
christopher
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by christopher »

could pandora be used for B.U.T. for sharing files,
or what about Lime wire file sharing system, could that be used in a secure way for us to share stuff
hugh says"what ever happend to guilford high street"
Fuck knows to far away for me to see........
Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Cola Can »

7 Pages worth of comment from the fans - what has the band got to say for themselves then?
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow
PeteL
Rats Rally

Post by PeteL »

Browsed around on Wednesday
Checked my favorite sites
The media files on Stranglenet had vanished overnight

Peering through the Portal
Teardrops in my eyes
Downloads have gone
and from now on
its strictly official merchandise
Last edited by PeteL on 19 Jan 2006, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I can drive drive