1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Theresurearealotofthem... wrote:I think my first Stranglers gig was either Hammy Odeon, with PaulinLondon and crew or for some reason I keep thinking that we went to the Brighton Centre or somewhere like that, but I hav eno idea why???

Must have been 1981 ish, La Folie Tour. They had these weird figures come on stage during the song La Folie. My sister said she took me to one of The Stranglers gigs earlier on in life but I don't remember that, and I think she was a bit confused at the time, becuase of her chemo.
Nick - I remember that night very well. It was a stonking gig and I think it was my third or fourth outing to see The Strangs. I always liked the acoustics at Hammy Odeon. I also remember lots of cigarettes being smoked on the tube down into town. Happy days.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Post by Guest »

Oh God yes - I forgot we could smoke on the Underground !!! In the back carriage from what I remember - Did we ever go to Brighton to see them though?
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Theresurearealotofthem... wrote:Oh God yes - I forgot we could smoke on the Underground !!! In the back carriage from what I remember - Did we ever go to Brighton to see them though?
From memory, Raj managed to get two tickets and went to see them there with Paolo. We had all talked about going but had left it too late to get tickets.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Tim In Black
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Tim In Black »

used to go hammersmith all the time, but never saw them there til Dreamtime tour (i think) as the first London shows i saw were Dominion in Aural Sculpture (feb 85 if memory serves)
First show was my first ever gig, Reading in 83, awesome warm day, lotsa dodgy prog, Hanoi Rocks ruled, Steel Pulse bottled off, Big Country ensuring i went straight back to see them at Hammy odeon the next month, and the chaps kicking offf with Nuclear Device, and HC dedicating the heavy drum intro to Golden Brown to all the heavy metal people, priceless!
Actually, I like Sabbath n Thin Lizzy so was good weekend all round for about £17! And Steve Harley was on too, so Acoustic fest is bit of deja vu all round!
Fortune favours the stupid
TWO SUNSPOTS
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by TWO SUNSPOTS »

It was in the Top Rank,Cardiff in 1978.......
What with getting old, i seem to remember that they only played for about 30 minutes, and that included an encore........Does anybody else remembre this or am i just going senile?[/quote]

Cheers Grayo,
I am getting senile then as the gig was over an hour long.For the life of me i still can't recall the Skids playing (perhaps they were on before i arrived)........I have seen them about 70 times since but it is always the 1st gig that i found the most intense........

Thanks again

Post by Guest »

used to go hammersmith all the time, but never saw them there til Dreamtime tour (i think) as the first London shows i saw were Dominion in Aural Sculpture (feb 85 if memory serves)
First show was my first ever gig, Reading in 83, awesome warm day, lotsa dodgy prog, Hanoi Rocks ruled, Steel Pulse bottled off, Big Country ensuring i went straight back to see them at Hammy odeon the next month, and the chaps kicking offf with Nuclear Device, and HC dedicating the heavy drum intro to Golden Brown to all the heavy metal people, priceless!
Actually, I like Sabbath n Thin Lizzy so was good weekend all round for about £17! And Steve Harley was on too, so Acoustic fest is bit of deja vu all round!
Eeee heck now that was one hell of a weekend fest - Didn't think much of Sabs though !!! But I loved Marillion on Saturday night - Heavily into them at the same time as the Strangs. Thin Lizzy were cracking, first and last time I saw them :(

It was wonderful weather, the beer was flowing and the music was fucking EXCELLENT.
Tim In Black
SHAKESPEARO

reading 83

Post by Tim In Black »

yeah liked marillion too, and starting with a 15minute tune like Grendl, was tough for Sabs to follow, but anyone that can do medley of Smoke on Water and Paranoid, and Gillan's bongoes too, what a night lol! Cracking weather ,alas getting served alcohol was bit of issue due to age, but sneaked in a couple of cans of Long Life lager i nicked from dad, comical with hindsight![/quote]

Post by Guest »

Ah yes Grendel - I think that was the last time I heard that being played Live - Good track though.

I taped the Stranglers and Marillion that night and still have them on tape - But it sounds shit though !!!! Brings back memories though.

I also used to have an album called Reading 83 (?) and sold it on e bay for £45 in 2001. It only cost me £3.99 at Our Price !!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

God I must get a life

:roll:

I remember Big Country were on the Oxford Road Show the weekend before Reading. I missed Steel Pulse and a few on Sunday as I was knackered and asleep most of the time :cry: Mind you I had a cracking time - Long Life beer - In those silvery cans - Tasted like crap, but was cheap???? Oh yeah baby - Millions of those came out at parties - I think my Dad was wondering where they all went as well?? He used to hide the Ruddles from us as that was the good stuff then - Couldn't get any decent bottled ales then.
ALV2500
SHAKESPEARO

Post by ALV2500 »

Glasgow Apollo 1980.

The support band was Headline and The Tea Set.

Last gigs were Club Soda, Montreal and Shepherds Bush Empire. Flying to Scotland for the gig at the Glasgow ABC.

AL
Tim In Black
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Tim In Black »

Ah yes Grendel - I think that was the last time I heard that being played Live - Good track though.
I taped the Stranglers and Marillion that night and still have them on tape - But it sounds shit though !!!! Brings back memories though.
I also used to have an album called Reading 83 (?) and sold it on e bay for £45 in 2001. It only cost me £3.99 at Our Price !!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
God I must get a life
I remember Big Country were on the Oxford Road Show the weekend before Reading. I missed Steel Pulse and a few on Sunday as I was knackered and asleep most of the time Mind you I had a cracking time - Long Life beer - In those silvery cans - Tasted like crap, but was cheap???? Oh yeah baby - Millions of those came out at parties - I think my Dad was wondering where they all went as well?? He used to hide the Ruddles from us as that was the good stuff then - Couldn't get any decent bottled ales then.
Used to nick my dads Long Life so didnt really car waht it tasted like, thrill was in drinkin booze I'd not paid for lol! Think you're right about Grendl, never remember a Reading album though, wow one to look out for but not at £45! I taped Stranglers off Richrad Skinner on radio 1, but again sounds like shit now, and my old cassetees have habit of dying on the tape deck these days, specailly the C120s! Oxford Rd Show was an awesome how, remember Smiths doing "what difference" on thta show, top performance. Saw them at Guilford uni in 85, lasted bit longer on stage than stranglers managed haha
steveareno
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by steveareno »

Alias wrote:
DrunkinBlackish wrote:Feline Tour,Glasgow Apollo,think first song was Nuclear Device,in stalls,first gig Jesus Fuck.
Hehe, I was still in the queue for my Feline T shirt when this gig started. Had to get the bootleg tape from the Barras later to finally find out what the first song was! :grin:

Cool memories there grayo 8)

I remember a couple of things from that night (Wednesday 9th February 1983). One was walking up the back lane of the Apollo from the Bus Station past hoardes of fans @ the back door. This one guy had a black crombie with the cover of Black & White stencilled in silver paint on the back. Secondly was the fan who attacked JJ during Genetix & got a right kicking from our man for his troubles. If you listen to the tape of the gig, you can hear the crowd roar mid song.
Fantastic gig, just fantastic. Once your experienced & a bit long in the tooth, things are never that exciting again, but when your a school kid, it was just the greatest thing in your life, a Stranglers gig.

Steveareno.
'If there's no reason for your words, then your silence ain't absurd, if there's no reason for your breathing then it just won't do'
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Well said Steve

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"