1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

yellowcakeuf6 wrote:(Dave, wearing 'that' coat....which I stroked........ :shock: )
:lol:

:shock:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Mitch K
Rats Rally

Post by Mitch K »

bry wrote:bridlington spa pavilion september 1978, "oh i do like to be beside the seaside. oh i do like to be beside the sea!!"

tis good to see a band at a coastal resort, all that icecream and candyfloss..

funny thing is, last time i saw the stranglers mk1 was just oop road in scarboro in 1990 :shock:

skids supported in 78, top dollar, JJ jumped off staged and twatted a spitter that too was top dollar... met all the band apart from JJ he was too busy entertaining some ladies :twisted:
Fook me Bry......who was stalking who? :shock: Same 1st & last gigs for me!

1978, I was 15 and living in Hull. Brid was (and still is actually) about 40 miles away and I bought a ticket ("Sydney Scarborough, for all musical tastes - They're under the City Hall!") with no clue whatsoever as to how I was gonna get there and back on a school night. (or get permission from me mam for that matter!) Solution arrived in the shape of the sixth-form minibus, driven by Father Skillern ("I used to play rugby you know") Inevitably I got a lot of stick as a fourth-former amongst 'men' but it was worth it. By the time we had reached Brid, I'd managed to make 'em all laugh a bit and they kind of took me in.

Memory (whats left of it) twists things; I seem to remember getting there about 4.00pm and spending hours waiting outside the gig at the back on the seafront. The boys were trying to impress some girls and I remember one of them sticking a safety pin through his ear whislt we were stood out there. The girls were suitably impressed, althoughthey didn't see him puke later.

Inside the gig is a bit of a whirl, I do remember The Skids, and I recall thinking how ugly the bassist was.

The Stranglers came on, I was in the pit, it was all hugely sweaty and gobby. I was scared and yet exhillerated. Greensleeve's organ broke and I remmber worrying if the gig would continue. I seem to remember Heroes being played twice (surely not???)

It all got too hot for me and I decided to chance my arm at the bar. Now remember I was 15 and I looked a good 3 years younger. I was highly diluted to be furnished with a pint of stones without question and went in search of comfort.

I found myself at the top of the building, on a balcony stage right. There was a fookin ARMCHAIR up there and I spent the rest of the gig looking right down on the stage from the comfort of my beer & chair. All I can remember from this is a blistering 'Toiler' and then it was all over.

Learnt some rugby songs on the way home, got some more beer, and having been dropped of at 'Green Arrow Garage' "Here's just fine thanks Father" I walked the mile or so home, pausing briefly to pick myself up after falling trying to high kick like Jobbo.

....................Blimey almost 30 years ago :shock:
Robinson Crusoe - worked hard all week and was buggered by Friday
Ice
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ice »

gizzard wrote:
Ice wrote:
But better than both of those was the time (God, was it 81 or 82?) when we met them - can you imagine what it's like to be told that your favourite band is coming to your school??? Even the blokes were wetting themselves in anticipation. I can't believe I did it but I tried to peel a piece of rubber seal from the window on JJ's Porsche as a keepsake!!! :smt050 We waited for hours to see them and were finally rewarded at about 10pm. Given that it was the days of pound notes, my friend got JJ to sign one - she spent it several years later :smt072 :smt013
Ice,
They came to Malmesbury school 1983 if I remember correctly :?: .
God it was like the Beatles when they arrived screaming girls everywhere.
Had a chat with Dave there and he seemed quite bemused by this.
Check out Strangled from around the time for a review and pics(not mine :( I did write one but they already had one from elsewhere :( )
Yes, I've still got my copy of it. Me & my friend wanted to scratch the eyes out of the girl who was the Carnival Queen because she was with them on the stage & at the party afterwards. She came from our village and thought she was God's gift before. When she won that AND had our fave band crown her, she was unbearable - the witch!!!
Deadly with make-up on...
Wotcher
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Wotcher »

Ice wrote:
gizzard wrote:
Ice wrote:
But better than both of those was the time (God, was it 81 or 82?) when we met them - can you imagine what it's like to be told that your favourite band is coming to your school??? Even the blokes were wetting themselves in anticipation. I can't believe I did it but I tried to peel a piece of rubber seal from the window on JJ's Porsche as a keepsake!!! :smt050 We waited for hours to see them and were finally rewarded at about 10pm. Given that it was the days of pound notes, my friend got JJ to sign one - she spent it several years later :smt072 :smt013
Ice,
They came to Malmesbury school 1983 if I remember correctly :?: .
God it was like the Beatles when they arrived screaming girls everywhere.
Had a chat with Dave there and he seemed quite bemused by this.
Check out Strangled from around the time for a review and pics(not mine :( I did write one but they already had one from elsewhere :( )
Yes, I've still got my copy of it. Me & my friend wanted to scratch the eyes out of the girl who was the Carnival Queen because she was with them on the stage & at the party afterwards. She came from our village and thought she was God's gift before. When she won that AND had our fave band crown her, she was unbearable - the witch!!!

27 years ago tonight -- Edinburgh Playhouse 20th July 1980 - first time I saw them. We didn't even know if they'd even show up - Nice release was just a couple of weeks before. It was the Who Wants the World tour - got the sweatshirt and Strangled vol 2 number 1 - completely immersed in theMeninblack. I remember sitting at the Playhouse front door and looking onto a roundabout there was completely confused to see two guys coming around it in the middle of the traffic flow, on their arses... it took a second or two to register, and then their z650 followed them..

But as for the gig - just being there, the guys were real - Hugh's sense of humour, JJ cool as ferk, standouts were Thrown Away, Down in the sewer, and of course 5 Minutes... but it was our band... and I'm still listening..
You can keep your Brussels and Amsterdam, give me back my summers in Prestonpans
MANUINBLACK
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by MANUINBLACK »

mine was at the lyceum with hazel o connor supporting,pretty sure it was late 79 (poss early 1980) . i was 16 and it was the first time i was allowed "uptown". my mate and i looked a bit out of place as the only punk accessory we had between us was my monkey boots which i have still got now 50+ strangs gigs later. remember walking down a corridor which had plush red felt walls to the auditorium and then the memory fades , apart from "heroes" and "raven" which i sung myself hoarse to. just feel incredibly lucky to be able to see the best band that ever lived , nearly 30 years later. :grin:
well that was amazing,its taken him all day to learn that bass solo
adam_neil
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adam_neil »

MANUINBLACK wrote:mine was at the lyceum with hazel o connor supporting,pretty sure it was late 79 (poss early 1980) . i was 16 and it was the first time i was allowed "uptown". my mate and i looked a bit out of place as the only punk accessory we had between us was my monkey boots which i have still got now 50+ strangs gigs later. remember walking down a corridor which had plush red felt walls to the auditorium and then the memory fades , apart from "heroes" and "raven" which i sung myself hoarse to. just feel incredibly lucky to be able to see the best band that ever lived , nearly 30 years later. :grin:
Well said man.

Adam
Tried to wipe you from my memory
I miss the pleasure of your company
MorryThou
SHAKESPEARO

Post by MorryThou »

ALV2500 wrote:Glasgow Apollo 1980.

The support band was Headline and The Tea Set.

Last gigs were Club Soda, Montreal and Shepherds Bush Empire. Flying to Scotland for the gig at the Glasgow ABC.

AL
This was also my first Stranglers gig.
In fact it was my first gig!
I was all of 15, scared shitless by stories
of people getting mashed up the front!

I remember queueing round the block for over
an hour to get in, getting more and more apprehensive.

When we eventually got through the throng, my first view of inside the Apollo,
through the open door, was the floor falling away toward the stage.
I lived and breathed the Stranglers at the time remember sitting impatiently through the Tea-set's set,
thinking "when is this gonna end?"!!

But when the Stranglers eventually came on (i think
it may have been to the strains of Nuclear device) I've
never heard a roar like it.

A load of the old cinema style seats were destroyed in the melee
to get to the front and I ended up about 10 bodies deep from
the front.....thoughts of being mashed by the crowd a distant memory!
(Me? Worried? P'chewaaah!)

The atmosphere was at the Apollo was tremendous.
It was a sad day when it eventually closed.

Good days indeed.
Been around and seen a lot.......
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

MorryThou wrote:
ALV2500 wrote:Glasgow Apollo 1980.

The support band was Headline and The Tea Set.

Last gigs were Club Soda, Montreal and Shepherds Bush Empire. Flying to Scotland for the gig at the Glasgow ABC.

AL
This was also my first Stranglers gig.
In fact it was my first gig!
I was all of 15, scared shitless by stories
of people getting mashed up the front!

I remember queueing round the block for over
an hour to get in, getting more and more apprehensive.

When we eventually got through the throng, my first view of inside the Apollo,
through the open door, was the floor falling away toward the stage.
I lived and breathed the Stranglers at the time remember sitting impatiently through the Tea-set's set,
thinking "when is this gonna end?"!!

But when the Stranglers eventually came on (i think
it may have been to the strains of Nuclear device) I've
never heard a roar like it.

A load of the old cinema style seats were destroyed in the melee
to get to the front and I ended up about 10 bodies deep from
the front.....thoughts of being mashed by the crowd a distant memory!
(Me? Worried? P'chewaaah!)

The atmosphere was at the Apollo was tremendous.
It was a sad day when it eventually closed.

Good days indeed.
I was at that one too - it was a cracker. Ah, The Raven backdrop :smt055
MorryThou
SHAKESPEARO

Post by MorryThou »

My first of many at the Apollo.
What a fine place.

Do you remeber the nutters swinging down the stage
curtains from the box seats onto the stage? Quality!
Been around and seen a lot.......
puffinboots
SHAKESPEARO

all this new technology stuff

Post by puffinboots »

this all looks very complicated jimbo, wired and threatened was easy - you posted, this is all very fancy.
1st Strangs gig - Loch Lomond RF.

last gig - leeds scabby uni last year - and that WAS my last gig ever, apart from manchester and the R/house in November - and that'll be it. :o
You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: all this new technology stuff

Post by doninblack »

puffinboots wrote:1st Strangs gig - Loch Lomond RF.
Review required :lol: Were there any fireworks, was it filmed? :wink:
Did they play lots of new Raven stuff? ;-)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: all this new technology stuff

Post by theraven1979 »

Only taken you about 7 years to register - well done! :lol:

Jim
puffinboots wrote:this all looks very complicated jimbo, wired and threatened was easy - you posted, this is all very fancy.
1st Strangs gig - Loch Lomond RF.

last gig - leeds scabby uni last year - and that WAS my last gig ever, apart from manchester and the R/house in November - and that'll be it. :o
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"