1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
BazinBlack
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by BazinBlack »

PaulinLondon wrote:17 November 1981 at the Hammersmith Palais.

There was a French film crew in that night. I am still on a mission to track down who they were and what they recorded.
I was there also young PiL and funnily enough there was a French film crew at my first gig at the Rainbow on the Raven tour in 79. and I would love to track down that bit if footage as they filmed the Raven that was painted on the back on my leather jacket. I have to admit it looked fantastic as my art teacher at school did it.

Bazza
Strolling along minding my own business.....
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

BazinBlack wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:17 November 1981 at the Hammersmith Palais.

There was a French film crew in that night. I am still on a mission to track down who they were and what they recorded.
I was there also young PiL and funnily enough there was a French film crew at my first gig at the Rainbow on the Raven tour in 79. and I would love to track down that bit if footage as they filmed the Raven that was painted on the back on my leather jacket. I have to admit it looked fantastic as my art teacher at school did it.

Bazza
Nice one Bazza.

I am pretty sure that the entire Hammersmith Palais gig was filmed. I watched a small part of the gig through one of the camera monitors by the mixing desk.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
burgers
SHAKESPEARO

Post by burgers »

Nov 15th 1981, Birmingham Odeon, La Folie Tour.

I was 15 - don't remember a huge amount, but I made my Mum buy me a donkey jacket to wear to look a bit edgy (!) - was this the tour with Taxi Girl on, I think they were first support - and in a very quiet bit somebody shouted wanker off the balcony, it was very well timed. The second support act was Dr Sprat's 21st Century Motets, and because I think people were expecting the Stranglers the poor fuckers got gobbed off in the worst gobbing incident I ever saw. A white wall of gob, highlighted by the stage lighting, which continued for the two or three crap acapella songs that they managed before leaving the stage soaked. Thank god we've moved on.

I remember a black guy in the audience wearing a MIB T shirt, and the band played 'Wog' and I remember wondering what he was thinking/how he felt about it. Very rare to see black guys at Stranglers gigs even now, especially in band T shirts. Bought my first copy of Strangled that night I think.

When my first daughter was born in 2002 I got the ticket framed and gave it to her as it was my most treasured possession.
I.K. Burnel
Down In The Sewer

Post by I.K. Burnel »

Mine was the 12th July, 1980, at the Cornwall Coliseum, on the 'Who wants the World' tour-my third ever gig, the other two having been Stiff Little Fingers and UK Subs, both at the same venue. There was some worry prior to the gig, as the band were in the nick in Nice not too long beforehand, and there was concern that they wouldn't get out in time.
Supports were T-Set, who I didn't like, especially the guitarist, who I remember was dressed up in a US Army uniform, but at one point started addressing the crowd, saying things like 'as you were' in a silly British accent. The other support were Headline, who came on in line, Madness-style, and were much better-I remember them doing their single, 'Don't knock the Bald head'. Sadly they didn't have much success, at least I never heard of them again.
The Stranglers came on and went straight into 'Shah shah a go go'-I'm not sure I owned any albums at the time, only a compilation put together by my mate (I soon put that right!), but I do remember hearing Duchess, Down in the Sewer, Ice, Who Wants the World, of course, and to my great delight they played the track I was hoping to hear, Tank. At one stage, I am informed, a very big girl got pulled out of the audience unconscious, to JJ's incredulity, but I must have been looking elsewhere because I didn't see it. They finished with Genetix, Hugh and JJ walking offstage still playing. I nearly got my head kicked in outside, but it didn't dampen my enthusiasm-I was hooked. As it was the Who wants the World Tour, there were big displays with lots of copies of the single sleeve, a lot of which ended up on my bedroom wall. I won't say it was the best Stranglers gig I went to (that was probably 1983, Feline tour, same venue), as I wasn't as familiar with the material as I would later become, but it was the one that really made me a Stranglers fan.
grayo

Post by grayo »

TWO SUNSPOTS wrote:I was thinking last night about the 1st time that i saw the Stranglers....
It was in the Top Rank,Cardiff in 1978.......
What with getting old, i seem to remember that they only played for about 30 minutes, and that included an encore........Does anybody else remembre this or am i just going senile?
Ha Sunspots!! That was my first Stranglers gig too!! I was right at the front of the stage by Dave Greenfield and thought The Skids were brilliant!! They played for nearly an hour and I can remember Tank, Toiler, Threatened, Five Mins, Sleazy, Curfew, Do You Wanna/DANAB plus a lot of Heroes. Happy days fella! Much better than the 'show' the MK4 put on these days.

Fly straight with nostalgia...............
batmanuel
SHAKESPEARO

Post by batmanuel »

Its 1976 and i have been hearing Patti Smith who has been blowing me away, a chance to see her LIVE on her first UK tour at the Roundhouse, Woo Hoo!!

Organise a few mates, im in charge of getting the tickets,

travel to London, Roundhouse box office to purchase said items, not missing this not even for a shag with the pretty bird at 43.

Deed done we await the day, when the day arrives five of us pile into my mate Ada's Red Hillman Avenger, and its off to London we go, being no stranger to the roundhouse, or the other top venues at the time we made haste,

Got a pull from old bill, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, we were let go after production of documents and the fact that we were indeed just young law abiding men out on a jolly.

We arrive at the roundhouse and its a crush getting in, but in we go.

Oh the anticipation....

First on the support band called The Stranglers, which surprisingly good, i shall pay attention to this band i think, my friends went to the bar, i stayed and listened, smoking an Embassy Virginia i started to think, this bands bloody good, by the third or so number i was well and truly hooked, the thing I remember most about this show was that the audience were a bit hostile.

Wankers i thought, but undeterred the Stranglers continued, by the time they got to down in the sewer they had all but won the audience over, so did we get an encore?

Em no. we got 36-26-36 Tits, and then the Stranglers left the stage and it was to be the beginning of a solid love affair with the Music, which was some of the very best i had ever heard, and i don’t care if some may think i am over stretching it here, it worked for me and still does.
Oh and Patti Smith was also F**king awsome.

Did the 1976 Nashville Rooms gig ever get released? I have the Peasant in the big shitty 7” which came free with the 1st album, what happened to the rest? I have the badge and the memory, it would be real nice to have a hard copy.
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

batmanuel wrote:Its 1976 and i have been hearing Patti Smith who has been blowing me away, a chance to see her LIVE on her first UK tour at the Roundhouse, Woo Hoo!!

Organise a few mates, im in charge of getting the tickets,

travel to London, Roundhouse box office to purchase said items, not missing this not even for a shag with the pretty bird at 43.

Deed done we await the day, when the day arrives five of us pile into my mate Ada's Red Hillman Avenger, and its off to London we go, being no stranger to the roundhouse, or the other top venues at the time we made haste,

Got a pull from old bill, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, we were let go after production of documents and the fact that we were indeed just young law abiding men out on a jolly.

We arrive at the roundhouse and its a crush getting in, but in we go.

Oh the anticipation....

First on the support band called The Stranglers, which surprisingly good, i shall pay attention to this band i think, my friends went to the bar, i stayed and listened, smoking an Embassy Virginia i started to think, this bands bloody good, by the third or so number i was well and truly hooked, the thing I remember most about this show was that the audience were a bit hostile.

Wankers i thought, but undeterred the Stranglers continued, by the time they got to down in the sewer they had all but won the audience over, so did we get an encore?

Em no. we got 36-26-36 Tits, and then the Stranglers left the stage and it was to be the beginning of a solid love affair with the Music, which was some of the very best i had ever heard, and i don’t care if some may think i am over stretching it here, it worked for me and still does.
Oh and Patti Smith was also F**king awsome.

Did the 1976 Nashville Rooms gig ever get released? I have the Peasant in the big shitty 7” which came free with the 1st album, what happened to the rest? I have the badge and the memory, it would be real nice to have a hard copy.
Welcome. Great first post! Fantastic to hear about another early gig. 8)

The Nashville Rooms gig is only available on bootleg. I'm sure someone on here can direct you to a copy.
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

I.K. Burnel wrote: Supports were T-Set, who I didn't like, especially the guitarist, who I remember was dressed up in a US Army uniform, but at one point started addressing the crowd, saying things like 'as you were' in a silly British accent. The other support were Headline, who came on in line, Madness-style, and were much better-I remember them doing their single, 'Don't knock the Bald head'. Sadly they didn't have much success, at least I never heard of them again.
Headline and Tea Set interviewed...
http://www.strangled.co.uk/SpecialGuests.htm
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

delboyinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by delboyinblack »

My first Stranglers gig was in 1980 at the Glasgow Apollo not long after the Nice riot.I was bricking it thinking it might be cancelled as there were rumours going about that the Nice incident would finish the band off for good.Thankfully that was not the case-they're made of sterner stuff!!!.The gig was brilliant obviously and everything I expected of the band,one of my biggest memories was not long after they came on the Glasgow police made an appearance and stood at the back of the stalls where they received a 'warm' welcome from the audience.Hugh saw them and gave them dogs abuse telling them where to go etc and they did just that eventually-talk about a band's reputation following them!!.
Unfortunately I can't remember what they started off with-possibly something from The Raven? (Shah Shah a go go) maybe someone could help me?.Saw the band there 5 times and they were magnificent every time my fave was probably The Feline gig in 1983 my 21st birthday by chance.
I'm not gonna cry i bet he hit that water high
villainblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by villainblack »

The old Birmingham Odeon, Meninblack tour 1981, all seater venue, except about 5 foot at front, remember the fans rushing the bouncers (big bastards who hit 1st then chucked you out) to try and get to the front, it felt like the whole place was bouncing, the new album felt so much better live, at the time of release I felt it lacked passion, however its one of my favs now. Been hooked ever since, to many gigs to remember, now got the kids hooked, there 1st gig was the 4240 gig at the accademy in Bham, they loved it, hope they get the chance to see them again :?: deff taking them to see hugh in November.
Please allow me to re-arrange your face sometimes
I'd really like to get to know you better
Ian9331

Post by Ian9331 »

Manchester Apollo 1978.

The Skids.

The Stranglers.
Maybe I'll find love when there's nothing to do........
jasonleefan
Down In The Sewer

Post by jasonleefan »

I debuted on 30th May 1978 at Bingley Hall Stafford on the Black & White tour.

Lived in Brum in those days and you got a free return coach to the gig for no extra cost.

On return we went straight to Barbarella's for the X-Ray-Spex gig so top nite out.