1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by theraven1979 »

Bounce

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Davwlk
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Davwlk »

Looks like I'm winning at the moment 1976 - Bristol Exhibition Centre down by the docks when I was a student at the Poly. Can't remember much except Hugh jumped off stage to deck someone who was spitting at him and all the Rovers fans queuing outside who had just returned from Spurs in the old second division singing we only lost 9-0.
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

Davwlk wrote:Hugh jumped off stage to deck someone who was spitting at him
:shock:
Did someone say "Wonky"?
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Davwlk wrote:Looks like I'm winning at the moment 1976 - Bristol Exhibition Centre down by the docks when I was a student at the Poly. Can't remember much except Hugh jumped off stage to deck someone who was spitting at him and all the Rovers fans queuing outside who had just returned from Spurs in the old second division singing we only lost 9-0.
You might win on this too:
http://www.thestranglerssite.co.uk/3for ... =22&t=1913

:wink:
No one can win against kipple.
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

Mine was the 17th February 1983 at the Brighton Centre. Was X-mal Deutschland supporting them there? Or is my memory playing tricks on me.
Anyway it was an amazing night to finally see my heroes play, it almost seemed surreal to finally see them. The crowd was surging in waves and I got swept backwards and forwards as it moved. I leapt about all night and could have rung the sweat out of my t shirt for ages (Sorry tmi). It was my best gig ever and I was hooked by the band that night for the rest of my life.
Whatever the line up I will follow them. Good times.
One of the strangest gigs I saw them at was Fontwell racecourse the gig in the tent. Some of the other bands were a bit odd like the reggae type band. I enjoyed 999 and X axis and can't remember who else was on. I do remember the matting floor of the tent rucking up and people falling over a lot.

My last gig was the extremely memorable/enjoyable gig at Gent with the other nutty coachers.
Bring on Guilfest and the August dates!!
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

I have just re-scanned the gigs listing and it was 86 that X-mal supported them. Am still sure I saw them first in 83 though. The old memory seems to have gone completely.
I know the stranglers played the Kent Custom bike show but can't remember what year that was. Will look into it and maybe hit the amendments page.
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

The first time I saw my heroes was 1990 at Brixton academy just after 10 was released. So I only saw them once with Hugh but I'm so glad I managed to see them at least once. They were brilliant that night even with the horn section! I must admit I'm very jealous of the people who saw the original line up many times you must have some great memories. Especially seeing them at their peak in the Raven to La Folie era.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

My first gig was Wembley in 79.....

Had gone with a guy who loved the Who and was determined to prove they were better than the Stranglers.....

Ha ha...

:lol:
Claireinblack
kent
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Missed Hope & Anchor, November 1977 but this 15 year old made sure he got himself along to Battersea Park on Saturday 16th September 1978.
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

pujro
SHAKESPEARO

Post by pujro »

This is terrible, it may have been the Battersea gig but I don't remember anything about it, more likely it was Blackburn King Georges Hall in 79. Let me explain, firstly my memory isn't what it was and more often than not in those days we were absolutely hammered by gig time. A couple of my mates swear we went to Battersea but we actually went down to watch Bolton at Arsenal(we lost 1-0, sadly I do remember that!), and I very much doubt we could have done both! Though another mate who was in digs near Wembley for college at the time reckons he got wind of the gig at the time, so we would have been aware of it. More likely we went after the match and were too late! Story of my life, gutted! Been a good few times since though, next up Preston in August.
Stu-Man
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Stu-Man »

9th February 1983 at the Glasgow Apollo, first gig and 14yrs old. My uncle` Delboyinblack` took me and this was actually his 21st birthday!!! I still have the ticket stub, it cost £4.50 for a stalls ticket, unforgettable night.
ONE TO THE LEFT AND ONE TO THE RIGHT OF ME............
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

17 November 1981 at the Hammersmith Palais.

There was a French film crew in that night. I am still on a mission to track down who they were and what they recorded.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.