Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

12.01.74 Johnny Sox play Brecknock London, 227 Camden Road, NW1
13.01.74 Johnny Sox play Lord Nelson pub, Holloway Road, N7
17.01.74 Johnny Sox play Newlands Tavern, 40 Stuart Road, Peckham (part of 3 gigs in 3 pubs) - 3rd night at Newlands Tavern - band go separate ways after these gigs (Now called the "Ivy House")
22.02.74 Rusty Butler - Sussex University
23.02.74 Rusty Butler - Bath Tech College
26.02.74 Rusty Butler (Dave's band) play The GreyHound in Fulham.
27.02.74 Rusty Butler Thames Polytechnic

30.05.74 "I turned up from a karate lesson with my arm in a sling! That was 30.05.74. So at that time there was just the three of us, guitar, bass and drums." JJ
Mid 74 Purley Over 18's Club Supporting "The Rockets" - Mentioned as the first Stranglers gig at a "Young Conservatives Ball" !. "Hugh: "375 people walked out on us at that gig. They all turned up in ultra-smart evening dress and as soon as we started they began drifting out. By the time we'd finished there were about three people left!

Mid 74 Purley Over 18`s Club Supporting "The Rockets" - Mentioned as the first Stranglers gig at a "Young Conservatives Ball" !. "Hugh: "375 people walked out on us at that gig. They all turned up in ultra-smart evening dress and as soon as we started they began drifting out. By the time we'd finished there were about three people left!

"Right in the middle of a number a guy came up and grabbed me. I thought he was going to get heavy, but he just launched into a very intellectual rap about why we weren't working with the audience, the ethnic quality of the music and bluurrggh! (Hugh makes vivid verbal excretion noises). We just told him to piss off and kicked him off the stage".

John adds: "Mind you, they just weren't our type of audience, and we did happen to be out of our heads 'cos we'd had a four hour wait to go onstage. We went on and said 'You're not going to like us so you may as well piss off!' As the set went on it sank in and they started going out in droves, panicking at the exits!"
© Kris Needs, 1976"

11.09.77 Star Pub, Guildford (first gig of "The Stranglers")

Autumn 74 - Tracks recorded at Transworld Studio, Fulham (Charlie Boy, Make You Mine, Chinatown, I Know It)

December 74 - "Home Demos" recorded at Jet's Jackpot Off Licence in Guildford Tracks: Country chaser, Make you mine, I know it, Charlie boy, Chinatown, Evening shadow, White wedding - credit to https://punkmusiccatalogue.wordpress.com/stranglers/

Potentially back to TW in Dec also for Tracks: My young dreams, My young dreams #2, Strange little girl, Wasted, Strange little girl #2, Strange little girl #3 - credit to https://punkmusiccatalogue.wordpress.com/stranglers/

04.12.74 Lord Nelson, Holloway Road, London (free admision)
08.12.74 London, The Brecknock
21.12.74 Star Inn, Guildford.
30.12.74 "West Counties" "scheduled" x-ref "Punk Diary 1970-1979"

Farnborough Tech "Around '74 brothers, Mike & Richard Ashworth, as Wax Promotions put on The Guildford Stranglers at Farnborough Tech; where they played several standards, including Johnny B Goode. " https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 476&type=3
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"