1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews, of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by sewer rat » 06 Apr 2016, 14:38

this wasn't quite my first stranglers gig but i'd like to share this anyway. it was at the edinburgh playhouse october 1986. ma brother turned up at ma flat looking like what could only be described as a cross between a black panther militant and an urban terrorist. ah pissed maself laughing and said, "wait there". went into some drawers in ma bedroom and returned with an old black beret and black 'wrap-around' shades. so, that's what he wore. fast forward to the encores of the band. they invited members of the audience up on stage for Nice 'N Sleazy (ah think they were hoping for lots of girls removing their clothes) but what they got was about 40+ male yobs jumping about. band left the stage and ma brother appeared back at our seats....minus the beret and shades. "oi! where's ma shit!!" ah yelled. to which he replied..."J.J's got 'em!! ah thought....lying twat. until......band reappear for another encore and there's J.J.Burnel bangin' away on his bass wearing ma beret and wrap-arounds....ha ha. quality

elvisintheclouds
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by elvisintheclouds » 06 Apr 2016, 15:08

sewer rat wrote:this wasn't quite my first stranglers gig but i'd like to share this anyway. it was at the edinburgh playhouse october 1986. ma brother turned up at ma flat looking like what could only be described as a cross between a black panther militant and an urban terrorist. ah pissed maself laughing and said, "wait there". went into some drawers in ma bedroom and returned with an old black beret and black 'wrap-around' shades. so, that's what he wore. fast forward to the encores of the band. they invited members of the audience up on stage for Nice 'N Sleazy (ah think they were hoping for lots of girls removing their clothes) but what they got was about 40+ male yobs jumping about. band left the stage and ma brother appeared back at our seats....minus the beret and shades. "oi! where's ma shit!!" ah yelled. to which he replied..."J.J's got 'em!! ah thought....lying twat. until......band reappear for another encore and there's J.J.Burnel bangin' away on his bass wearing ma beret and wrap-arounds....ha ha. quality
Nice one! 8) and Hi :smt006
Thank you very much
EiTC

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 06 Apr 2016, 16:44

elvisintheclouds wrote:
sewer rat wrote:this wasn't quite my first stranglers gig but i'd like to share this anyway. it was at the edinburgh playhouse october 1986. ma brother turned up at ma flat looking like what could only be described as a cross between a black panther militant and an urban terrorist. ah pissed maself laughing and said, "wait there". went into some drawers in ma bedroom and returned with an old black beret and black 'wrap-around' shades. so, that's what he wore. fast forward to the encores of the band. they invited members of the audience up on stage for Nice 'N Sleazy (ah think they were hoping for lots of girls removing their clothes) but what they got was about 40+ male yobs jumping about. band left the stage and ma brother appeared back at our seats....minus the beret and shades. "oi! where's ma shit!!" ah yelled. to which he replied..."J.J's got 'em!! ah thought....lying twat. until......band reappear for another encore and there's J.J.Burnel bangin' away on his bass wearing ma beret and wrap-arounds....ha ha. quality
Nice one! 8) and Hi :smt006
Good one!
No one can win against kipple.

MiB81
Ugly
Ugly

Post by MiB81 » 07 Apr 2016, 21:14

ThruBeingCool wrote:This has got to be one of the best threads I've read on here for a while. If you read through it there's lots of posts from different people who don't contribute that often which makes it all the more interesting imho. There's life in the old forum yet :!:
Secunded.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...

Fiferinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Fiferinblack » 07 Mar 2017, 11:00

My first Gig was 22nd Nov 1981 at the Edinburgh playhouse.

The meninblack tour. Mix up of Meninblack and La Folie tracks if I remember correctly.

teshka
Down In The Sewer

Post by teshka » 07 Mar 2017, 13:02

The Rainbow Finsbury. November 1st. Still got the ticket but not sure what year. Someone help me out. Late 70s.

yesican
Ugly
Ugly

Post by yesican » 07 Mar 2017, 13:24