Feline Groovy

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Feline Groovy

Post by Alias » 17 Apr 2007, 22:50

Alright, another not exactly an anniversary, but I'm reminded tonight of a gig from over 24 years ago that must be one of the best ever Stranglers concerts I've been to. It was the Feline tour hitting the Glasgow Apollo on 9th February 1983. I was in my last year at school, I think I left that summer.
Par for the course, the usual motley crew of Neg, Jim, Martin, Molly, Mike, Peter and myself met up in Barrhead for a get-pished-fast carry out, probably a couple of bottles of El Dorado fortified wine, with a bottle of vody poured into a ginger bottle chaser. I've not touched LD since those glory days, but I can still taste the syrupy sediment that always lingered at the bottom of the bottle that was your own special treat if you were "fortunate" enough to get the last swallow from the communal bottle. The "toe-nails" we called it due to it's thick, unpleasant texture- the only advantage in being the last one to drink them down was the myth that we kidded ourselves with that it was the strongest part of the wine. Onto the train into the town now, where the festivities along with the anticipation would grow, the singing would start and the carry out would be hastily finished, on to the cans of Tennants by now, and we were set for the quick march up from Central Station to the hallowed Apollo theatre. With military precision we had by now learned to time our arrival perfectly in order to miss having to stand in the the huge crowd that snaked outside the legendary venue whenever The Stranglers were in town. A quick, "Right-act sober" lunge through the door, a not so quick grope from the gorilla that blocked your way, then straight to the Merc.stall. I remember waiting to pay for my tour badges, t-shirt, probably a copy of Strangled and my Cat Bag as a huge roar came from inside the hall and the unmistakable sound of Nuclear Device blasted out. Shit! I'd never missed the band's intro before and I couldn't get into fray quick enough. I'd never even noticed the intro tape this tour, the Aural Sculpture Manifesto getting its first airing, and totally missed Nick Mallen, the tap dancing support act referred to by Hugh later on, when he called us all "Sadistic bastards!" for giving him the Roman games thumbs down. I got in to the hall just in time to experience the brilliant segue between Nuc.Dev and Toiler- class! Again, ritual had to be followed- having already planned to lose ourselves for the night the usual meeting place after the gig was shouted then it was head down and full steam ahead- straight down to the front. Never mind where in the stalls your ticket said you were sitting, in front of the huge stage was the only place to be. Down there- where the action was, as they say. Hardly saw a bloody thing mind, as you became part of the crowd, melding in with the black sea that roared up and down all through the gig, slipping and sliding pulling fallen comrades up from the floor when need be, being swept off your own docs as everyone bounced in time, wet with shared sweat, singing note perfect every fucken word. Bliss. I can just about recall the magnificent, bass heavy segue between Midnight Summer Dream and European Female and the countless stage invasions, black clad SAS figures storming in from above and below, the ones who got a quick punt up from a mate scaling the enormous stage, and the real dare devils who jumped from the wee "Queens" boxes above the stage, onto speaker stacks then triumphantly on the hallowed ground of the stage to give a few high kicks and struts before being grabbed and hurled off stage by the grim, tuxedoed gorillas. Then there was the one diddy who got a swift kicking from JJ during Genetix, to the crowd's loud vocal approval and the hilarious sing along of the cocktail Nubiles, the fans pissing themselves as Hugh sang, "Oh, let me...talk to you" instead of the line we all wanted to hear, then Jets drums bursting into Genetix, as we all roared "HEY!" at every hi-hat snap. Looking back at the set list that night there were about 18 or 19 songs played (my bootleg lists Duchess, but it's not on the tape?) and not one duffer. And about 14 of them were absolute classics in my black book.
What a set-list:
Nuclear Device/Toiler On The Sea, Ships That Pass In The Night, It's A Small World, JLNOE, No More Heroes, Who Wants The World, Baroque Bordello, Golden Brown, Princess Of The Streets, MSD/EuroFem, Tramp, The Raven, Duchess, London Lady, Bring On The Nubiles (Cocktail), Genetix and Finally Down In The Sewer.
How could you not feel justified in your undying love for the band after a night like that?

Me in me tour t-shirt, on holiday in Yugoslavia later that year:

I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic » 17 Apr 2007, 23:05

Shit, I never realise you were anorexic mate, all those harsh years before the mast, surviving the best way you could on weevily ships biscuits I suppose.

How the fuck you can remember all this stuff from so long ago I can't imagine. I can barely remember what I did last week. Nice recollections though, I wish I'd seen the band back then in the glory days. Other stuff going on and all that. (though what precisely, I am unable to recall of course).
Nice one.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 17 Apr 2007, 23:11

ravenlunatic wrote:Shit, I never realise you were anorexic mate, all those harsh years before the mast, surviving the best way you could on weevily ships biscuits I suppose.

How the fuck you can remember all this stuff from so long ago I can't imagine. I can barely remember what I did last week. Nice recollections though, I wish I'd seen the band back then in the glory days. Other stuff going on and all that.
Nice one.
It's not anorexia mate, it was just something wrong with the camera, that's all :?
Not so anorexic now though, I can assure you. :lol:
Wait- hold on, anorexia is when you look at yourself in the mirror and think that your fat, innit?
Yeah, I'm still anorexic then :lol:
I can remember everything before I got pished that night, including the butterflys in my stomach all through school before the gig, but like yer good self, last week is still a complete blank.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

yellowcakeuf6
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by yellowcakeuf6 » 17 Apr 2007, 23:20

ravenlunatic wrote:How the fuck you can remember all this stuff from so long ago
Feckin' right! :shock:

I only remember certain 'bits' and then I'm not so sure they're not glorifications after the event? Mind you, we used to drink Pomagne before gigs darn sarf! None of this treacley Norvern stuff! :oops:

Good to see the T bastardised for the summer hols though. :wink:

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 17 Apr 2007, 23:45

yellowcakeuf6 wrote:
ravenlunatic wrote:How the fuck you can remember all this stuff from so long ago
Feckin' right! :shock:

I only remember certain 'bits' and then I'm not so sure they're not glorifications after the event? Mind you, we used to drink Pomagne before gigs darn sarf! None of this treacley Norvern stuff! :oops:

Good to see the T bastardised for the summer hols though. :wink:
Got the official choker on too, I see :lol:

yellowcakeuf6
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by yellowcakeuf6 » 17 Apr 2007, 23:49

Alias wrote:Got the official choker on too, I see :lol:
:lol: How many of us were close to doing the full Michael Hutchence with that little leather bootlace? :lol:

paulinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by paulinblack » 18 Apr 2007, 03:41

Alias wrote: I can remember everything before I got pished that night, including the butterflys in my stomach all through school before the gig, but like yer good self, last week is still a complete blank.
Must have been those butterflies in your stomach digesting all your food that made you anorexic ! :grin:

Nice story by the way !

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Feline Groovy

Post by PaulinLondon » 18 Apr 2007, 06:55

Alias wrote: then Jets drums bursting into Genetix, as we all roared "HEY!" at every hi-hat snap.
Fantastic !

Brilliant post that man. :smt023

Would loved to have seen them live at The Apollo............ :(
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard » 18 Apr 2007, 08:01

Yeah great post fella!

Just one thing though.. Do you shop the same place as Bazza Spooner :?:

:lol: :lol:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''

adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana » 18 Apr 2007, 08:18

yellowcakeuf6 wrote:
Alias wrote:Got the official choker on too, I see :lol:
:lol: How many of us were close to doing the full Michael Hutchence with that little leather bootlace? :lol:
I've still got one one - and have had for 22 years (although not the same one (they get a bit grimy!). I think I have become superstitious about it now, so it will remain.

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Feline Groovy

Post by gizzard » 18 Apr 2007, 08:40

Alias wrote:Looking back at the set list that night there were about 18 or 19 songs played (my bootleg lists Duchess, but it's not on the tape?) and not one duffer. And about 14 of them were absolute classics in my black book.
What a set-list:
Nuclear Device/Toiler On The Sea, Ships That Pass In The Night, It's A Small World, JLNOE, No More Heroes, Who Wants The World, Baroque Bordello, Golden Brown, Princess Of The Streets, MSD/EuroFem, Tramp, The Raven, Duchess, London Lady, Bring On The Nubiles (Cocktail), Genetix and Finally Down In The Sewer.
How could you not feel justified in your undying love for the band after a night like that?
Got this bootleg on at the mo and Nuclear going into Toiler is fcukin superb!

:smt035

:smt020

:smt038
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 18 Apr 2007, 10:07

gizzard wrote:Yeah great post fella!

Just one thing though.. Do you shop the same place as Bazza Spooner :?:

:lol: :lol:
:lol: I was young, what was Bazzas excuse? :lol: