Personal MIB moments

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger » 22 Mar 2007, 03:23

Great thread,

1. Hearing 'Sometimes' on a mates record player, that was the start.

2. Stafford Bingley Hall with Steel Pulse, first gig.

3. Battersea, impossible to top that one, deaf for hours afterwards.

4. Yellowcake UF6, something very creepy about that track that haunts me and reminds me of what I was doing in 1980.

5. Seeing JJ up close on his solo tour with an acoustic guitar and a bottle of red.

6. Same with Hugh but selling a book, shook his hand.

7. SBE gig 2005, with family and had a good old sweaty pogo down the front.

30 years in a paragraph, crazy when you think about it.

Cheers

OC
Are these the devil, are they four (again)?

Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger » 22 Mar 2007, 03:35

Bugger, forgot!

No 2a: Hearing 'Sleazy' for the first time, pre-ordered and did not have a clue until I put it on the record player.

Orrsume!

....does it, does it, does it every time!!!

Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger » 22 Mar 2007, 03:36

Duplicate post, it was the voices that made me do it!

Frank Castle
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frank Castle » 24 Mar 2007, 12:15

Great post and read Shah here are mine....

1. August 1979 hearing this amazing infectious tune on Anne Nightingales old Sunday afternoon show,the song a little ditty called "Duchess" that's when it all started for me.

2.Glasgow Apollo(RIP) Friday the 18th of July 1980,my first Stranglers gig.What a gig I can still vivdly recall walking into the Apollo for the first time.Walking into the stalls and thinking fuck me that stage is high,then the band came on stage to SSAGG as I can recall,and blew my mind in the process.

3.December 1979 my first memory of the boys on TOTP with Don't Bring Harry.JJ staring out at me with his sombre expression,Hugh cool as fuck resplendant in his long leather coat.Jet looking bored,and Dave well being Dave actually.

4.July 1981 Rockstage gig,I remember staying up watching this amazing gig on a crappy Black and White portable it looked like it was snowing.Remember the old dial style tuner and crappy ariels...ah the memories pre digital.

5.February 1982 nearly making the number 1 spot,that bastard Weller(just joking) no shame in "Town called Malice" keeping us off number 1.

6. February 1983 my last Apollo gig on the Feline Tour,missed out on a ticket on Aural Sculpture,still stings to this day.

7. March 1987 two nights at the Barrowlands,this was Mark One's only time playing the Barras.Great gigs went to both nights.

8.June 1988 meeting Hugh for first time on his Wolf promotional tour at Virgin on Union Street,Glasgow.Got Wolf,Nosferatu,3D Raven and the All Day and All Of The Night banned sleeve signed.

9.2006 meeting JJ twice in a year the first time at Oran Mor,did'nt really get a chance to chat much that night.But Arran in November met the great man in the McLaren Hotel,he was sitting by himself as Baz was playing pool.Spent a good half hour chatting to myself and my mate Raymie.Remember thinking he was'nt as tall as I expected,and did'nt look as huge as he doe's on stage.Still a fit speciman of a human being for a chap of his age.Remember him laughing at my jokes and being genuinely interested in what we had to say.And of course as he excused himself,the pat he gave me on the shoulder.27 years in the making,but it turned out a good un you know the adage about meeting your heroes....bollocks!!!

10.February 2004 seeing that name in the Top 40 again after a absence of 14 years to refresh your memory....

31. The Stranglers-"Big Thing Coming" fucking bliss.

So people there you have it 10 of the best,there's probably a lot more rattling about in my senile old mind....until the next time.

shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah » 24 Mar 2007, 21:54

"And of course as he excused himself,the pat he gave me on the shoulder."

Vividly honest. It's those little things that mean more than most. That's what I meant. Those little moments that are either synapse blowing or strangely emotive and warm - like when i sat next to JJ in Sheffield. That odd feeling sitting next to him, catching his profile in glances, of his leg cramped against mine on the seat - like mates out drinking - thinking nothing of it.

Great post, Frankie.
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...

Frank Castle
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frank Castle » 25 Mar 2007, 08:00

You're right Shah to the untrained eye it would have looked like myself and JJ where just mates shooting the breeze.In reality it was so much more,something highly significant indeed.

Sometimes these experiences are thin on the ground,but you must grab them with both hands....or regret it later.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 25 Mar 2007, 09:10

The first moment for me was sitting cross legged (I was 6) in front of the gogglebox watching Golden Brown and shouting through to my mother in the kitchen to tell her that song she liked was on telly.

Weird eh!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Frank Castle
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frank Castle » 25 Mar 2007, 09:35

Christ Jim you're just a bairn!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 25 Mar 2007, 09:51

Still makes me 31 !

Jim
Frank Castle wrote:Christ Jim you're just a bairn!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack » 25 Mar 2007, 14:25

Yellowcake

Sorry, no scandal, just ist party with alcohol instead of ice cream and cake !!!!
Claireinblack
kent

adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana » 26 Mar 2007, 13:34

1. Meeting JJ and Dave for the first time prior to the Purple Helmets gig at the Astoria in 88. I’d not had a bass long and was asking JJ about Strange Little Girl and he was fingering it out on his arm. It didn’t take long, but I was nevertheless thinking ‘Fuck Me! I’m getting a bass lesson from Jean-Jacques Burnel

2. The day I took the call and was told that Hugh had left the band. I remember the sense of panic that this was the end… no more records… no more gigs. At the time I wrote to JJ about the future of the band (if there was one). He was good enough to reply. I still have it, I’ll scan it tonight if I can lay my hands on it.

3. The journey across the UK to see the band in 1989. I was at college at the time so money was too tight to make a bigger commitment to do a whole tour. This was the bollocks, three nights, three countries. Livingston Forum was one of the best gigs I ever saw them play, then back home to London, to Brixton Academy (surely one of the best larger venues in the country).

4. 4th March 1985. My first Stranglers gig and 16 days short of my 16th birthday. Standing in the crowd in a newly acquired biker jacket – a birthday present given early for this occasion. I had seen other bands in Brighton since late 81 and have been to countless gigs in the 22 years since, but this one sticks in the mind. Listening to the gig on bootleg brings so much of it back, someone throwing a shoe at JJ, the fuck up with Peaches etc.

5. The disappointment of passing up on the chance to see the band at the Brighton Centre on the Feline tour. My best mate went and I can’t for the life of me recall why I didn’t.

6. Seeing the band at the Old Trout in February 1991. I had never seen the band in such an intimate venue (and brassless!). First impressions of Paul were favourable. However, as time went by it wasn’t for me and I stopped seeing them in about 93.

7. Reading Festival 1987. Generally accepted to be one of the better later gigs. Weather was fantastic, beer flowed, band were great…

8. Dusseldorf 1988. An organised coach trip from London. At this time there was a great sense of belonging. A lot of Brits were there at what was a pretty ill-tempered gig (last post for an encore and a bit of tear gas), but hey with the Ramones on the same bill, who can complain. Getting off the coach we were approached by some pretty stupid German punks who thought we were the Stranglers, so we duly signed their tickets.

9. Guilfest last year. Having heard about the line-up change I was up for it again. I stood through 5 minutes and Grip with a stupid grin on my face. Also met up with Paul for the first time since 89.

10. Cambridge Junction 2006. Just great, see point 9 and add quality new material, a great little venue and the band playing as well as at Livingston!

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 27 Mar 2007, 07:55

1) The 1989 Car Tour sticks out as one of the most memorable Stranglers moments for me. Ten fans packed into two hire cars and three memorable gigs at Livingstone, Newport and Brixton. We had the chance to chat with the band just before their sound check in Livingstone and get their autographs. I had the pleasure of meeting with Adrian and Mully and because of the Forum, we are again meeting up at gigs as we had lost contact with each other after 1990 and up until the beginning of last year.

2) Briefly chatting with JJ outside the Oxford Apollo in November 1986 post sound check as he was about to run the gauntlet of adoring WomeninBlack into his waiting car. He dived into the back of the car and then lept into the front passenger seat in one move. Quite extraordinary and with this big cheeky grin on his face.

3) Having a good natter with JJ at the John McCarthy Benefit gig. Cannot remember what we spoke about but he patted me on the head and said "Nice meeting you". Ironically, where he patted me, I now have a bald patch.

4) Hearing "The Man They Love to Hate" live for the first time at the Hammersmith Odeon with Nick, Mark, Raj and others. We were all praying that the band would play this song and they duly delivered. I was mesmerized by this track. Still am and I do wish it would make a comeback......

5) The departure of Hugh - I was on holiday with mates in Crete at the time of this news. I was already fucked off that I had pre-booked the holiday so far in advance that I was going to miss the Ally Pally gig but to have not seen Hugh for the last time still sticks in my throat. Someone rang me, dunno who and told me that Hugh had left. I was gob-smacked and hardly said a word to anyone for two days. This is why I hate cricket.

6) Making endless Saturday morning trips to Camden Lock Market to buy bootleg cassettes of the band. We went down there as often as we could over a period of what felt like years and picked up some excellent (and some poor) recordings of the band. I think it was £5 a cassette at the time or you could wangle two for £8 but my God, we checked out every stall, religiously, weekend after weekend. We were also on the hunt for bootleg vinyl where we had varying degrees of success. The cassettes are still in storage but I cannot wait to get them out at some point.

7) One occasion that leaves me feeling sad was when I saw Hugh live for the first time after he had left The Stranglers. The gig was at Ronnie Scott's in Soho in London and there was a good number of Stranglers fans who turned up to see him in what was not an entirely packed out show. I was just happy to be there and was pleased to see him put on a great performance and see that he was looking well. But the sadness was brought on by the fact that Hugh had well and truly left The Stranglers and a chapter had been closed. What's the word..........melancholy.

8) An anorak moment harking back to the gigs in the 1980s...... One of the highlights for me was when a song would end and JJ would tune his bass guitar to Dave's keyboard. There was one particular gig where this process took place and lasted a wonderful one minute. As the tuning came to an end, there was a roar of approval from the mosh pit and JJB launched into a blistering intro to "Ships that Pass in the Night". Fabulous stuff.

9) These days, I have great pleasure in taking my two kids to see the band. They are huge fans and have their own fledgling collection of Strangers tshirts and various CDs of mine in their respective rooms. It's good to see other parents at the gigs in recent years with their kids, so we are plainly doing the right thing in keeping the Familytreeinblack well and truly prospering into the future.

10) The building up of excitement before a Stanglers gig. You know exactly what I mean. With two or three days to go, important things no longer start to matter so much. What does matter is the fact that the Meninblack will be appearing on a stage near you and you start to focus on your battledress of choice for the day and evening at hand. I've got the Nice gig at the end of this week and then three more French dates next week. When I first saw the band in 1981, I was riding high with excitement and adrenalin and it's still the same feeling to this day. It's just part of The Stranglers buzz isn't it ?