We ask Hugh the questions and here are the answers!

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 18 Nov 2005, 19:46

Thanks Shah - I intend to get an exclusive when the next album is out. Actually I'm quite happy with the answers I was waking up in cold sweats thinking we'd get yes no answers but to be fair it's obvious that Hugh has taken a bit of time in answering the questions. There's a fair bit to be read between the lines as well! Read it again

Jim

shah wrote:Interesting read.
Much as I pore over this and appreciate it, starving as I am for knowledge ,I feel as if I have come to a carcass at the end of the meal - searching for meat. Must have taken him 30 minutes to rattle those off with Fagence or Kinski. I thought the nice coach journeys between Blondie gigs would have given him ample time to ponder, vividly express and explore more questions than these. I suppose that from his books we could have guessed it would be short, sharp and relatively uninsightful. Kind of surprising all round for a guy so keen on expression.

Nothing on Mr. Burnel either!!?

It's a little like the US administration. Strict control of in and out.
Not much the wiser - which isn't an ironic observation of the DC devils.

Thanks Jim. I do appreciate it as I said. But I wish you or Gary could have interviewed him over a pint or two about such things.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

ygwas
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ygwas » 18 Nov 2005, 20:13

I think Hugh left the Stranglers at the right time, if he was going to put forward Sex Bomb & Keep It Under Your Hat as Stranglers songs. Both are even poor solo tracks IMO.
Good to hear the next album will have a heavier sound though.

Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter » 18 Nov 2005, 23:02

Thanks Jim - some very interesting answers from Hugh. It's great to see he is still willing to spend time answering the fans questions.

doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack » 18 Nov 2005, 23:54

shah wrote:Interesting read.
Much as I pore over this and appreciate it, starving as I am for knowledge ,I feel as if I have come to a carcass at the end of the meal - searching for meat. Must have taken him 30 minutes to rattle those off with Fagence or Kinski. I thought the nice coach journeys between Blondie gigs would have given him ample time to ponder, vividly express and explore more questions than these. I suppose that from his books we could have guessed it would be short, sharp and relatively uninsightful. Kind of surprising all round for a guy so keen on expression.

Nothing on Mr. Burnel either!!?

It's a little like the US administration. Strict control of in and out.
Not much the wiser - which isn't an ironic observation of the DC devils.

Thanks Jim. I do appreciate it as I said. But I wish you or Gary could have interviewed him over a pint or two about such things.
Surprised that you're being so negative about this. It doesn't exactly encourage people to bother, does it? :cry:

paulinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by paulinblack » 19 Nov 2005, 05:46

Well I enjoyed it very much. I often wonder whether Mr C is obtuse by accident or design ! Must ask that next time !!!! :-)

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 19 Nov 2005, 06:46

theraven1979 wrote:
I took some of the stupid ones out
At least one daft question made it through though;

Are there any plans for a 'Song by Song'- type publication covering Hugh's Solo Material? :roll: :grin:

Seriously though, Good work Jim! A damn fine read overall and cheers to Hugh for 'getting involved'.

I do think SHAH had some good points re-the interview and wasn't neccessarily being negative. However, I guess this is new territory for all concerned so things have to remain 'safe' for now.

Anyway, my only real beef is that there were loads & loads of other really interesting questions that didn't get answered, which begs the question: Is there a part 2 to this interview? :?:

Oh, yeah!...I didn't get any of my questions answered! :evil: They weren't ALL stupid! :oops: Honest!

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 21 Nov 2005, 13:33

Nice work fellas!
Suppose I'll have to wait for the JJ gig to find out what the official Stranglers line on bingo-wings is though! :grin:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Cola Can » 18 Dec 2005, 22:35

I can't believe I've only just read this thread! I thought it was nice of Hugh to answer some general questions, particularly as two were mine! Interesting read. thanks Jim.
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow

doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: We ask Hugh the questions and here are the answers!

Post by doninblack » 30 Jan 2006, 12:45

theraven1979 wrote:Have you got any favourites amongst today’s emerging talent.. Franz Ferdinand..Kaiser Chiefs et al? Would you consider collaborating with such a band Jim?
Saw Arctic Monkeys last night and thought they were very good. I always like to be invited into things like that.
I see Hugh picked a winner then. Shame he didn't volunteer to sing a track on their debut album!