We ask Hugh the questions and here are the answers!

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

We ask Hugh the questions and here are the answers!

Post by theraven1979 » 17 Nov 2005, 23:40

During the Autumn in 2005 forum members put the questions to Hugh. Hugh kindly responded and here are the answers. I hope we can do this again soon.

Big thanks to David Fagence, Hugh Cornwell, Kinski, Doninblack and you!

There seemed to be a few themes running through the questions and I tried to bring these together.

Solo

I'd just like to know what motivates you to keep playing and recording Andrew R
It’s something I often ask myself! The need to express myself thru performance and writing, plus the thought that every trip to the studio is unpredictable. I’m also wildly ambitious.

How's the new album coming along? What direction will you be taking with the new album? Jim Radley
I have many song ideas already, and I have fallen in love with the way we are doing ‘Dead LA’. So l’m thinking along those lines…very live three piece feel, but much heavier than BEF.

As an artist who thrives on continually moving in new directions, how do you decide what musical approach you will take with the next album? Donald
Soon after finishing each album it becomes clear where l should be heading next…

HiFi was psychedelic, BEF was Dylan-esque, what sound/theme can we expect from the next album (and when can we expect it)? Paul
See the answer to Jim Radley’s question

In recent years you have previewed songs from forthcoming albums on tours. We haven't heard a taste of what’s to come for a while now. Why is this? Paul
It’s because I’m still formulating how to finish off the new songs.

Do you like the intimacy the smaller gigs provide? Andrew R
I do, but there’s nothing like getting up in front of a shitload of people with a loud guitar! I do prefer playing acoustic shows in more intimate settings.

How long do you see yourself continuing as a performing artist? Paul
Until I fall over, which I nearly did at the Academy in Islington!!

How do you think you are perceived by the music world/biz? Andrew R
Probably as an eccentric singer/songwriter too clever for his own good.

Do you see yourself concentrating writing songs for other people in the future? Paul
I am always happy to write for people if I get invited, but I never have liked gatecrashing parties.

Robert Williams has said recently on this website that he would be up for collaboration like a Nosferatu 2. Would you be keen on such a project, maybe with a few other new contributors, or would you see that as repeating yourself? Donald
Robert is a lovely bloke, extremely talented, and it would be a real pleasure to work with him again. When this could take place, though, it’s difficult to say.

Which artist, live or dead, would you love to have worked with? Donald
I was asked once who I would like to go in a studio with, and I replied: Joe Zawinul,David Bowie & Jackie Leibzeit.

Is there a live album or/and DVD planned? Jim Radley
There sure is! The 3 Academy Islington shows were recorded and we’ve just finished mixing them as a triptych for release next year, called “People,Places & Piecesâ€
Last edited by theraven1979 on 01 Dec 2005, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Hugh Cornwell BUT Q&A sesh - The Answers

Post by Frederik » 18 Nov 2005, 00:49

theraven1979 wrote:I’m looking forward to playing the RAH with Blondie soon, as whenever I’ve played there I’ve noticed that it’s got an intimate feel to it, even though it’s quite large.
When has he played at the RAH?

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P » 18 Nov 2005, 01:20

Good work Jimbo.... I guess he chose not to answer a few of them!?
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! » 18 Nov 2005, 01:22

Thank you for that, guys... :oops:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 18 Nov 2005, 10:15

Dom P wrote:Good work Jimbo.... I guess he chose not to answer a few of them!?
I took some of the stupid ones out and I think his manager may have removed a couple more. I`d rather we hit him with decent questions in the hope he`d answer them (which he did) and this would pave the way forward for this to happen again.

It`s not a mega revealing "interview" but it does show that Hugh is open to fans ideas and will give geniuine answers rather than one liners or even one word!

Good to hear that the next album will have a "heavier" sound. Also, interesting about the left over Stranglers tracks. Arctic Monkeys eh? Aren`t they from Sheffield?

There`s a lot of answers there which prompt me to say "Ah now I understand"

I`m very happy with the way it`s worked out.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

icecube
The Raven
The Raven

Post by icecube » 18 Nov 2005, 11:17

Very interesting.

Nice work and a big thanks to all involved (including Hugh for his time and trouble).
This can't be undone

Olympic Smile
Down In The Sewer

Post by Olympic Smile » 18 Nov 2005, 12:21

A nice interview, some good questions and indeed answers............some very short answers tho! (Perhaps edited by Jim? - No criticism intended).

Like a lot of people I'm still suspicious of motives for leaving The Stranglers and agree it could been handled better by ALL parties!........I cant help it.............its my upbringing hic.

B.U.T...........keep up the excellent work.........site gets better and better!!! :grin:
.......remember what happened to Lotts wife? You Do?

doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack » 18 Nov 2005, 12:31

Frederik wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:I’m looking forward to playing the RAH with Blondie soon, as whenever I’ve played there I’ve noticed that it’s got an intimate feel to it, even though it’s quite large.
When has he played at the RAH?
I think he played at some kind of tribute gig there...?

doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack » 18 Nov 2005, 15:59

theraven1979 wrote:How's the new album coming along? What direction will you be taking with the new album? Jim Radley
I have many song ideas already, and I have fallen in love with the way we are doing ‘Dead LA’. So l’m thinking along those lines…very live three piece feel, but much heavier than BEF.
:lol: :P :-) :grin: :lol:

shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah » 18 Nov 2005, 16:41

Interesting read.
Much as I pore over this and appreciate it, starving as I am for knowledge ,I feel as if I have come to a carcass at the end of the meal - searching for meat. Must have taken him 30 minutes to rattle those off with Fagence or Kinski. I thought the nice coach journeys between Blondie gigs would have given him ample time to ponder, vividly express and explore more questions than these. I suppose that from his books we could have guessed it would be short, sharp and relatively uninsightful. Kind of surprising all round for a guy so keen on expression.

Nothing on Mr. Burnel either!!?

It's a little like the US administration. Strict control of in and out.
Not much the wiser - which isn't an ironic observation of the DC devils.

Thanks Jim. I do appreciate it as I said. But I wish you or Gary could have interviewed him over a pint or two about such things.
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...

leoJ
Rats Rally

Post by leoJ » 18 Nov 2005, 16:43

Nice work Jim.

Leo

raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack » 18 Nov 2005, 19:19

Good to see that he is still keen on giving something back to us, the fans.Even if it is somewhat shorter than expected, at least he's taking the time to do it.
just hanging around