First Impressions

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn » 22 Nov 2004, 12:40

Thru...that was a trip down memory lane big time. You reminded me about just how crap a lot of the "mainstream" music was when - the so-called punk explosion happened. E.L.O, Genesis, Abba, Wings (particularly crap)....I too remember being blown away by Gary Gilmours Eyes....and later Babylons Burning by the ruts...and is it just my foggy memory or after they got going didn't it seem like the buzzcocks launched a single every other week...

Was laughing reading about your friend getting "music system" ..i remember spending a sunday morning devising a way to stop Rattus skipping on one track...solution..glue a penny to the arm of the record player ! Mine had a cool smoked plastic lid ..

:D
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 22 Nov 2004, 12:53

philjxn wrote:Thru...that was a trip down memory lane big time. You reminded me about just how crap a lot of the "mainstream" music was when - the so-called punk explosion happened. E.L.O, Genesis, Abba, Wings (particularly crap)....I too remember being blown away by Gary Gilmours Eyes....and later Babylons Burning by the ruts...and is it just my foggy memory or after they got going didn't it seem like the buzzcocks launched a single every other week...

Was laughing reading about your friend getting "music system" ..i remember spending a sunday morning devising a way to stop Rattus skipping on one track...solution..glue a penny to the arm of the record player ! Mine had a cool smoked plastic lid ..

:D
Not only a single every week but on TOTPs every week.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Peter Black

Post by Peter Black » 07 Dec 2004, 12:59

I also thought 'meninblack' weird but the subsequent tour was the first time I saw the band and everything kinda fell into place. I stopped listening to it for years and returned to it maybe five years back and it sounds extremely contemporary to these jaded ears. Essential!

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 11 Jan 2007, 22:43

Another fan-tastic thread that needs reanimated like a zombie.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 11 Jan 2007, 22:53

Alias wrote:Another fan-tastic thread that needs reanimated like a zombie.
Second half then Alias? Your turn to kick-off! ;-)

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 12 Jan 2007, 00:05

...thinking...
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 12 Jan 2007, 16:36

Feel as if I've covered most of this already on other various threads, but here goes.

Rattus Norvegicus - was the first Stranglers album I bought, from John Menzies, Argyll Street, Glasgow. £3.99 well spent, but sadly not purchased on release (I would have been 11 when it was originally released) probably bought late 1978ish. Mentioned many times already about listening to Rattus, Heroes and B&W in my mate Ian's room. His sister's boyfriend was a massive Stranglers/Clash/Punk fan and we commandeered these albums from his collection. I got taped copies pretty quickly and relied on these trusty C6o's, with home made covers- works of art they were- until I could save up the coppers to buy the actual albums. So much for Home taping Killing Music- a fortune I spent on the Stranglers over the years because of those tapes and the songs that were on them. Loved Rattus the most though, always will. Not a duff track on it.

No More Heroes - for some reason I got the US copy on A&M, with horrible stamped out Import-cut right through the cover & inner that they used to do to ruin sleeves (Remember them? They still do it with CD's these days- Fuckin WHY?) Bought Heroes not long after RN, in fact as soon as I had saved enough pocket money after blowing my initial wad on Rattus. Bought this time from Listen, in Renfield Street, Glasgow. What a shop, sadly long, long gone. Had similar vibe to Rattus, as we just listened to the first 3 albums one after each other in those days.

Black & White - Bought right after NMH from The Record Exchange, Jamaica Street, Glasgow.
Big horrible yellow price sticker on the front that took a fair chunk of the cover off with it. But this time-Lyrics! Bought around the end of 1978, with "Free" WOB single having to be purchased separately! Bought the album again a few years later, from a collector who was off-loading his immense collection of vinyl for buttons. I remember picking up armfuls of stuff from his car boot, weird interesting mad stuff that I had only ever heard of before, (Curved Air, Faust, C.C.R., Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Doors etc- and all original releases, strange hippy stuff mostly, but amongst them was a copy of B&W!) asking "How much?" and being told, "What ever you think it's worth, man." Got a right bargain that day, along with a pristine copy of B&W with the white vinyl single, cover and Insert sheet still intact.

Live X-Certs- Fantastic sleeve, one of the best, and really loved the inner; with all the wee photies, could (and did) look at that for hours- it was fascinating. Would have made a great photo-book. And a bit erotic too for a teenaged boy, all those Batersea strippers!

The Raven- Lyrics! Also illustrations this time too, drawings that I faithfully copied onto school-books, jotters and anything that wasn't fast enough to get away. As mentioned before, I caught up with the Stranglers around this time, Nuc.Dev. being the first single I bought on release date (Woolworth's, Paisley). I'd bought into it all big style by now.

TGATTMIB- bought from Virgin Mega store, Glasgow on the day of release. Studied that cover all the way home on the train. Loved the gatefold and the UFO connections. I had already been a fan of the magazine The Unexplained that had been doing the rounds about this time or earlier("Issue 2 free with issue 1!!!") and me and my school mates were already well au fait with the strange goings on centred around the weird world of the MIB,(albeit in crudely drawn pastel/crayon form in the magazine), so the concept was no stranger to me. Loved the spacyness, the concept and the songs. Saw the band for the first time this tour. Although the details are gone I'll never forget the experience.

La Folie- Bought day of release. More lyrics and illustrations, inner similar in style to Raven (Shoot That Tiger being the design house? Weird the things you half remember) More copying onto school books ensued. Gave the black tour badge with heart on it to a friend at school who loved the design, and kept the white tour badge with actual anatomical heart on it for myself. The jumpy Pin-Up used to do my head in, even after returning and replacing the album a few times.

Greatest Hits- Bought it for my girlfriend at the time. Forked out for the German black covered one later for myself.

Feline- Bought day of release. I loved Midnight Summer Dream, and the 12" version even more. I remember taping whilst listening to the interview with Hugh on the Janice Long show in my girlfriend's bedroom, as a good few songs from Feline (still to be released) were played. The songs played on the show sounded great, very electronic and moody. Probably at the height of my Stranglers love affair by this stage.

Aural Sculpture- Bought day of release. Nearly returned day after release! Blast those Horns!!!!

Dreamtime- Bought month of release-ish.
Love it now, but the singles Nice In Nice and Big In America were so lame they could have competed in the Special Olympics.

10- Bought year of release. Played more these days than it ever graced my turntable back then.

All Live...Bought year of release and surprised me by being great. Rekindled the fire a bit.

ABRIDGED.

Also loved those Jap releases and mad yank things too, usually sourced from a wee stall in Argyll Street Market where the guy behind the counter kept stuff aside for me. Various other market stalls and shops around Glasgow did this too. Got the US IV album with free single and a couple of the Jap albums that always had great pictures on them (JJ on the tour bus, docs swung over the back of the seat), the vomit educing US ep, and loads more rarities spring to mind, from that guy, bless him.

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 13 Jan 2007, 23:50

Nice one,Alias!

Re-'No More Heroes' (The album)

My original copy was actually some crappy Portuguese import. It had an inner sleeve, but the photograph of the band was blurred and on the vinyl there was no 'wreath' label! I ask ya! :(

Managed to buy a decent 'brit' copy a few months later thank fuck!

('First Impressions' ..to be continued)

Sewerite
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Sewerite » 01 Feb 2007, 22:34

It was late 78/early 79 and I was 12/13 with one cassette - Blondie - Parallel Lines. My mate was into Jam/Clash/Sham 69 and his older brother was into the stranglers. He taped the first three albums on c90 tapes along with 'that's life' by Sham 69, and I remember laying in my bedroom listening to them, and thinking those keyboards are amazing and that bass is so heavy. It all seemed dark and heavy (hard to explain) but I loved it. So I went out and got 2 paperrounds (morning and evening) to buy a record player and singles and albums, bought them all apart from single - SBC/SO which I nicked from a houseparty I went to. I managed to get B+W with free white CD. Bought Live x-cert and can just remember the brill cover which was laminated and had a lovely smell. First three albums are the best, with Rattus being best album ever made, and Down in the Sewer being all time best track. I remember palying it time after time in darkened room and pretending to be HC on stage using snooker cue as guitar. Skip to The Raven...

Went to local town (Colchester) on Saturday (think it was released on a Fri) to try to get 3d cover. It was on display in Phase One Records behind counter - 1 only @ £8.99, looked around all shops and was just resigning myself to hoping it was still there and paying £8.99 when I treid WHSmith, and they had one at £3.99 - bingo. Loved most of it apart from MIB which I thought was awful. Just remembered my 'Duchess' single skipped about 3 seconds from the end,and I still expect the CD version to do the same.

All other albums from Mark 1 after this were a slight letdown in comparison but I still play them all, and they all have gems on 'em:

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 15 Sep 2007, 15:35

Once - many moons ago - I had no doubt at all whether I would like a Stranglers album or not - it didn't even occur to me that they could fill an album with bad songs . The first 4 albums - all class , MIB - I liked it a lot , yes it was odd , but maybe of their era , only The Stranglers could get away with that . La Folie - different again , but overall I liked it , some below par songs but still highly acceptable .
Feline - somehow it worked , completely unlike anything they had done in the past , but I still liked it .
Then along came Aural - first album ever by the band where I felt there were more poor songs than good one's . Very disappointed by this one . Dreamtime - a move in a better direction , but 10 I absolutely loathed with exception of 96 Tears and Never to look Back .

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 15 Sep 2007, 15:41

With the M2 and more recent material -
In the night - I felt it was moving away totally from 10 , which I felt was a good move . About Time - some good stuff on this , I thought the band had some good stuff here , liked it . Written in Red - hated it and still do - for me their worst album ever . Coup - a relief after WIR , its not so good these days , but first impression was a feeling of relief .
Norfolk Coast - was hyped a lot , but I felt it lived up to the hype.
SXVI - hyped even more than NC , I liked it and still do - maybe on par with NC , overall maybe not quite as good as NC , but a bit more consistent .

johnnyg1968
Ugly
Ugly

Post by johnnyg1968 » 05 May 2008, 22:59

When i heard rattus i was blown away after years off crap like showaddywaddy abba 10cc gary fuckin glitter etc something i really liked to hear and my parents hated it especially ugly and peaches he he :P
"THE OTHER NIGHT I CHANCED UPON AN IRATE CATERPILLAR"