First Impressions

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
ratman
Down In The Sewer

Post by ratman » 19 Nov 2004, 00:54

oh dear where do i start.

picture the scene. boys' brigade camp in stonehaven (don't laugh it's true) friday night of the middle weekend comes along and the older chaps decide that they're going to the disco at the commodore hotel.
some of the younger lads (ie me at 13 1/2 are invited to go along) we're really into it and having a great time chatting up young things etc. then all of a sudden the whole do takes a turn for the better and the dj plays peaches so we all get down into the groove etc. then as if by divine intervention the aforementioned dj plays (in quick succession) go buddy go.
well as you can imagine we were in our element - 7th falkirk boys brigade, stranglers fans to a man (still meet some of them at gigs) but some local biker types took exception to this.
the aftermath was fun i must say - the sight of big shug picking up some bloke off his bike and throwing him over a wall will stay with me until my dying day.
1978 was a great year wasn't it?
if it's got four legs, a tail, looks like a dog and goes woof woof, then it's a dog ok...............

simoninblack2004
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by simoninblack2004 » 19 Nov 2004, 00:56

I hear you cool, I hear ya!!!
Crappy stereogrammes et al, they were just the best...........and still are. No band, no one , will ever, ever touch them live or on record.
Finni.
Simon. :wallbash:
When you're alive they won't care what you said.
Coz everybody loves you when you're dead.......

seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree » 19 Nov 2004, 02:43

I can remember 4 of the main reactions I had.

Rattus took me ages to get past 'Sometimes' as I kept lifting the needle and putting it back to the start I was so excited by it. I loved the growly bass and I also loved the opening line. What a way to start your first album!

The Raven was like ice cream. As soon as it was finished I had to have more of it. main thing I noticed was how the guitar and bass were playing lots of different lines all the time...much like the lines the guys were ;-)

Feline I had the Rattus problem as I couldn't get past MSDream. I wanted to know every note in it before I moved on. I wasn't a massive fan of La Folie after MiB so I was really geed up Feline.

And finally 10 which I was very excited about. First play I really loved it all. I know I've moaned about the production but it was the first album since Feline I immediately liked every song on.
col in a go go

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 19 Nov 2004, 10:17

simoninblack2004 wrote:I worked in a Butchers on saturdays for 2 quid a day. Late 77, I decided to buy a Punk album, ( Iwas 13 then). I looked around Woolies or WH Smiths and saw NMH album. Looked at it and saw 'wog, bitching'etc and thought great, swear words, i'll get this one then!

Yeah that was one of the things about that album. I remember one wet afternoon in 86` stood in Morrisons' excuse for a record department and noticed the Fame? re-release of Heroes on cassette - I was stood there pissing myself looking at the tracklisting and thinking how cool it was in a place frequented by old dears that such naughty words could be placed out front. I nudged a friend and said "told you this band were cool check out the tracklisting!". Although that said I thought they`d gone a bit OTT with naughty sensationalist song titles and thought the album could be a bit of a piss take - far from it! That tape was practically glued into my walkman for the next 10 years.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

IceInBlack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by IceInBlack » 19 Nov 2004, 10:49

My first memory of The Stranglers is after they had played in Iceland ( the country, not the store) back in 1978. Unfortunally I didn´t go to the gig myself, but my friend did and introduced me to this great music. I remember reading about them in the papers. It was a big fuzz about the band. I remember the pictures.Wow ... they looked cool. I remember a picture of JJ eating a dip for snacks in a press meeting. He said he didn´t drink and ate the dip instead , he he. -
"No More Heroes" was the first album I heard. I bought a used copy. It changed my life. I had never heard anything like it. Then came "Rattus" and "Black and White" which I thought was a bit heavy at the time ( B&W). ----- I have a bad memory about The Raven. I was visiting a friend, and he had a copy but I didn´t. When I wanted to go home he asked me to stay longer and said he would give me his copy of Raven if I did stay. So I did. I didn´t afford to buy it myself. But when I left he broke the record and then gave it to me. I almost cried :( - I have always been pleased with Stranglers albums until "Dreamtime" and "10". Those two include some great songs, but something is missing. I´m not gonna talk about "About time" and "Written in red". Those two are albums which my friend should have destroyed instead of "Raven". But I think the biggest surprise is Norfolk Coast. I first heard the title track on The Rats Lair. The Stranglers were back. What a great album. Can´t wait to see them in december and to hear their next album in august. :notworthy:

Edited By IceInBlack on 1100857824
When I was a viking, my friend he was the raven

Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich » 19 Nov 2004, 16:03

Fuckin' radiogrammes - Rattus never sounded better than on my folks' monster. It was a huge thing. It had all the Radio programmes sort of embossed on this yard long dial with a knob the size of something you might open a gate on a canal with. The sound was warm, mellow and rich. JJ's bass rocked the ornaments on the fireplace. It was on this machine that I heard Rattus in full for the first time, it blew all the prog rock wank and glam rock crap out of the water. I can't recall exactly, but I think I acquired NMH and Rattus at the end of '77 - I was just 14. Twenty seven years later and I still can't think of a better debut album.

Black & White, by contrast, I first heard (like many others on here) on John Peel via my very tinny transistor radio. Bought it on the day of release and what a difference to hear it on something approaching a good sound reproduction. To my mind the best produced and mixed Stranglers album. I loved every second of it on first play.

The Raven is my favourite. It's full of nuance, intricacy, melody, mystery, madness, sadness and beauty. I never listen to the bonus tracks on my CD - the original eleven tracks (IMO) have never, and will never, be surpassed as an album. It is complete. By this time I had progressed to my own hi-fi (which was pretty good quality for a sixteen year old) and to hear it on that dark September evening for the first time was just awesome. 1979 was a good year.

When I played The Gospel According To The Meninblack for the first time, I remember sat on the edge of my bed, speakers at equal distances either side of my head, not moving, my jaw dropping extremely slowly through Waltzinblack and Just Like Nothing On Earth - plain weird, wacky and (as I now know) wonderful. A grower, and as Jet has described it - a flawed masterpice.

RSI kicking in - more later.

Rich.
Black and White becomes........

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 19 Nov 2004, 16:09

What`s a radiogramme? and who`s got the Werthers Originals?

Jim

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 19 Nov 2004, 16:15

Fascinating stuff though people. It`s like where we all came in to this little club called The Stranglers :D

Gonna stick this in the gold section eventually.

Jim

STRANGLERINCANADA
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by STRANGLERINCANADA » 19 Nov 2004, 16:32

It's funny too Jim, all the stories are so similar!! The purchasing of NMH , then Rattus, seems like most of us did that, and were honest about it! (unlike other bands fans, "yeah, I got their 1st album the day it came out when I was 7 yrs old!!").
This is probs my best Thread ever, What stories we have to tell, hey...it could even be good enough for a fanzine?? :-)
Keep this going people in black, and Phil in Toronto, I want to hear your story!!
Cheers,
Simon.
Canada. :clap:

EddyBurnel
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by EddyBurnel » 19 Nov 2004, 17:34

where's those answers and questions that we all submitted to SIS Canada for your recent JJ interview...hmmm? hmmm?

STRANGLERINCANADA
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by STRANGLERINCANADA » 19 Nov 2004, 18:18

Where? In the magazine, where it was intended to go!
When the magazine is ready, it will be uploaded to our site as the others were.
It won't be ready until we receive a few more articles!
:wallbash:

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P » 20 Nov 2004, 01:02

STRANGLERINCANADA wrote:Where? In the magazine, where it was intended to go!
When the magazine is ready, it will be uploaded to our site as the others were.
It won't be ready until we receive a few more articles!
:wallbash:
Are you asking for articles? What on?

And don't say "The Stranglers! Doh!" or I'll nut you...
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five