Daves Keyboard Rig: A History - D'ya wanna blow ya hymen?

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
Damian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Damian » 27 Apr 2005, 23:08

Dave actually used an Oberheim 8 Voice which is a larger version of the 4 voice. The keyboard that was to the right of the mini moog post 1980 that did the intro to JLNOE was an OB1, if you were at the convention Peteborough 1992 this was actually sold in the auction that Owen was doing. Speaking of the Korg vocoder do you remember the roadie coming on stage and standing behind Dave to hold down the chords during the last chorus of Northwinds on the Dreamtime/shakin tour march 1987?

CURFEW
SHAKESPEARO

Post by CURFEW » 11 Jun 2005, 21:49

It was the lilting keyboard sound of Peaches that 1st got me into the Stranglers in the Summer of 77. It was just so fucking different!

Fave "keyboardie Dave the rave" bits have to be: Toiler, Tank, the 5 Minutes intro (on the MiniMoog, BTW, what note is he playing?), and the silliness of Rok It To The Moon (underrated masterpiece, surely)
The enemy have shutdown all the power.....

Keninblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Keninblack » 13 Jun 2005, 10:52

CURFEW wrote:the 5 Minutes intro (on the MiniMoog, BTW, what note is he playing?)
First note is C.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 29 Aug 2005, 12:04

moving to forums gold.....

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

markorbit

Lead sound on The Raven

Post by markorbit » 29 Aug 2005, 12:19

LEAD SOUND ON THE RAVEN - How would one go about recreating this glorious sound? I know it's probably an Oberheim 4 or 8 voice synth on the record but what I'm looking for is:

- How many oscillators in use?
- Which wave shapes?
- at which octaves?

Wouldn't mind trying to recreate this sound. Anybody done it?

raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack » 29 Aug 2005, 13:18

Ask suchi to ask Mick from 4mh....he'll tell you!
just hanging around

markorbit

Post by markorbit » 30 Aug 2005, 21:33

raveninblack wrote:Ask suchi to ask Mick from 4mh....he'll tell you!
suchi, can you ask Mick from 4mh, ta!

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 07 Jan 2006, 15:33

Great thread, so what is Dave using these days? (Studio /Live)
Is he using any Softsynths, btw does anyone know if Dave is a Mac or PC user?

Just bought myself Logic Pro 7 for my new Dual Core PowerMac G5, also using GMedia M-Tron, Spectrasonics Atmosphere, Spectrasonics Sylus RMX, Spectrasonics Trilogy, FXPansion BFD, Synthogy Ivory.
Also have Novation KStation & microKORG Synth's, using the KStation as the midi controller and the microKORG for messing about on (Can play it anywhere as it can run on batteries, a great little synth)
Cheers.
I can recommend angels
I've watched as they've made a man strong

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! » 08 Jan 2006, 01:44

I'm glad you reminded me Streeb... FYI: to all the guys who sussed out the keys in Dave's rig... I put it to Dave himself not too long ago. His response was... nothing. Not a jot. Sorry, but I tried my hardest.

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Great thread, so what is Dave using these days? (Studio /Live)

Just bought myself Logic Pro 7 for my new Dual Core PowerMac G5, also using GMedia M-Tron, Spectrasonics Atmosphere, Spectrasonics Sylus RMX, Spectrasonics Trilogy, FXPansion BFD, Synthogy Ivory.
Also have Novation KStation & microKORG Synth's, using the KStation as the midi controller and the microKORG for messing about on (Can play it anywhere as it can run on batteries, a great little synth)
Cheers.
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 08 Jan 2006, 03:33

C r a s s ! wrote:I'm glad you reminded me Streeb... FYI: to all the guys who sussed out the keys in Dave's rig... I put it to Dave himself not too long ago. His response was... nothing. Not a jot. Sorry, but I tried my hardest.

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Great thread, so what is Dave using these days? (Studio /Live)

Cheers.

He didn't respond at all?

Had he lost contact with the 'Mother Ship'?
:lol:
I can recommend angels
I've watched as they've made a man strong

GRIFF
Ugly
Ugly

GENETIX!!

Post by GRIFF » 15 Jan 2006, 07:17

Fave Dave mo is watching him on the Rockstage vid playing genetix. All those wonderful litlle pieces that link the verses, then the instrumental towards the end is awesome THEN the wind down. When they played Genetix and The Raven in the 80s , those moments seemed to last forever with the high and low screeches in the Raven to that BIG wind down in Genetix. It was an awesome way to stop the number, and gave you massive shivers down the back bone. On another thread about C.T.C. thru is right about Daves playing. He is as smooth as (bar getting a little ahead with the W.O.B. solo) but I really miss his old sounds. I know Dave likes technology, I thought he would have loved the challenge of emulating his Obi/ Hohner/ hammond sounds.

Daves sound reeked atmosphere, and gave the band that dark powerful, eccentric edge. Even when the band had there gear nicked way back, when I heard them on the meninblack tour the sound was soooo different, and even then we all thought they had lost a little something, that edge so to speak. Jets drums sound cool in the mix, jj has got one hell of a rig and bass, baz has all angles covered, and paul gives it laldy. Dave however has the technology.............we can rebuild him, the worlds first bioni.......... sorry Dave. It would change their live dynamic 100% for the better if he could capture those sounds. My anorak needs a rest, and I am of to sharpen me handbag :twisted:
Griff

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 15 Jan 2006, 11:53

He should call one of his keyboards HAL - I can imagine him going to switch the keyboard off then "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?. I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question"

"my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going"

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"