Daves Keyboard Rig: A History - D'ya wanna blow ya hymen?

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
Grenouille 2
Down In The Sewer

Post by Grenouille 2 » 14 Dec 2004, 23:24

Organ Grinder wrote:Thought I'd do a rerun of the thread I psoted a coupla years back about Daves keyboards over the years.

Dave started off life in the Stranglers using the Vox Continental. He graduated to a Hammond L100 which is the instrument you hear playing the A Minor stabs at the intro to Hanging Around and what plays the lines in Wog and countless other great tracks from the early years. Very heavy instrument and Daves opts to use more modern instruments nowdays to save the roadies backs! He also used a Hohner Cembalet, seen here on top of a Hammond M100 (very similar to the L100 which Dave used). This is the famous instrument which poduced the melodies for Heroes, Tank and Toiler amongst many others. Dave can no longer use this machine because he cannot get parts or spares for it. A staple around this time was also the trusty MiniMoog used on such freak-outs as Nubiles and Nice and Sleazy. Still used to this day in his live rig.

When the Raven came in he switched to more adventurous analogue synths such as the Oberheim OB-XA, the truly collosal Oberheim 4 Voice, and the Korg Vocoder which was later used on the vocal parts for North Winds and Always the Sun.

During the late eighties he started using two Akai S1000's with an Akai Rackmount. Throughout this time he also used the Roland JD800. He's used a hammond rackmount and an MXR100 phaser throughout the later part of the eighties and early nineties, probably still used today. In the studio the hammond sounds don't come from his rakmount but a proper Hammond C3 and a Leslie speaker, seen here with the back off and the workings exposed.

There was another keyboard he used during the eighties (a blue one) whose name escapes me and I can't check it because my mate nicked me magazine with the details in.

He no longer uses the Akai's (see them at close range on the Ally Pally gig) either and his new keyboards I cannot post about because once again my mate has the details and he's done a runner with the magazine that listed them all, so sorry abou that. This list is not exhaustive and I've probably missed some important gear out but some of you just wanted the best I could offer so here it is - the best I can do given my current resources.

Hope this is of interest. :)
:clap: :notworthy:
en public je suis un privé...mais en privé je suis moins pudique...

seeingtree
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by seeingtree » 14 Dec 2004, 23:52

I used to have a wasp. Bought because it featured on Bauhaus's Burning from the Inside. I had that, the 101, the teeny pt30 and the casio sk5 which along with the sk1 were probably the first afordable tiny sampling keyboards.

I still have the (fully working) pt30 but the others got sold in the late 80s.

My favourite is the straight ol Hammond.
col in a go go

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by parasiteinblack » 15 Dec 2004, 00:03

I'm quite a modern chap and so I have a KORG microsynth.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

droopsnoot
The Raven
The Raven

Post by droopsnoot » 15 Dec 2004, 09:29

I am no keyboard expert, but I recall reading about a 'PPG Wave' at some point, and I think a 'wave term' for sampling sounds?
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 15 Dec 2004, 10:35

I was inspired to get a really crap small Casio from the 80`s. Wanted to go for that Julian Cope cheap casio backing track with accoustic guitar feel. Shame I ain`t got a) An accoustic b) any form of talent

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

nickb
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by nickb » 15 Dec 2004, 13:32

What was the touch sensitive thing he used in Tolier which is so difficult to play?

Keninblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Keninblack » 15 Dec 2004, 14:28

In the 80's, he was using a PPG Wave 2.3 as the bottom keyboard, a PPG Wave 2.2 in the middle, topped off with an Oberheim OB8 with the mini moog at the side and the PPG Wave Term sitting on the floor. Sound on Sound described the PPG as a keyboard that looked like a row of rotten teeth.

The bottom keyboard at the Ally Pally gig was an Ensoniq EPS Sampler which he ditched for another Akai S1000kb.

Recent setup has got rid of the Moog :-( Lets face it, running a rig with a 30+ year old synth isn't going to be easy. The Moog I think has been replaced by some Novation unit, but I couldn't get close enough on Friday to suss out what it was. Unfortunately, unless he uses some sample loops, we've heard the last of Nubiles and Sleazy.

Samplers wise, he's now using rack mounted Akai S3000s (or S3000XLs) as the old Akai 1000's are too unreliable and too expensive to maintain. These are driven from 2 Yamaha DX7s.

Remembering the Rockstage and Rockpalast videos, there was another Oberheim next to the Moog. Possibly an OB1 which he used for the random LFO effect at the start of JLNOE.

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder » 15 Dec 2004, 16:29

Bloody nice one Ken! :notworthy:

PPG Wave was the one that was blue right? Couldn't for the life of me recall it's name... :wallbash:

Cheers for filling in the gaps. If I don't copy this thread then perhaps Jim'll fix it to the archives for prosperity?

:cool:
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder » 15 Dec 2004, 16:31

NickB,

The instrument used on Toiler, Tank, Heroes et al was the Hohner Cembelet. Dunno if it was touch sensitive, doubtful, perhaps Ken can clear that up?
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.

Keninblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by Keninblack » 15 Dec 2004, 17:00

Yip, PPG's were the big and blue ones. Tried to get one on Ebay a few months ago only to be sniped :angry:

According to 'tinternet, the Cembalet wasn't touch sensitive (http://p209.ezboard.com/fclavinetdotcom ... =217.topic)

Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik » 16 Dec 2004, 00:07

What was that strap on thing he had in the Nice in Nice vid?

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 16 Dec 2004, 00:16

What was that strap on thing he had in the Nice in Nice vid?

It was horrible!:D
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came