diary of a support band - Goldblade strangled year part 1

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
quiffology
SHAKESPEARO

Post by quiffology » 14 Dec 2004, 01:03

In 2004 Goldblade got to tour with The Stranglers.
It was a great tour to get.
Not only do we get the chance to play to loads of people we also get to see one of the best British bands of all time every night.
Not only that- The Stranglers 2004 tour is a triumph- a near sell out and a band back at the peak of their powers. The Stranglers don’t disappoint on or off stage. Each gig is a triumph and they are great to hang out with- from big Baz’s genial bear hugs to JJ’s terrifying karate lessons to Dave Greenfield’s easy going road veteran tales to Jet Black- the rock of the tour to Paul Roberts chirpiness- they are good crew with no rock star bullshit.

This is a tour diary...if you want any more goldblade information go to http://www.goldblade.com

Newcastle Arena...March 4th

This is going to be good.
With several members of Gold Blade being long term Strang fans getting on the road with the maverick meninblack is a bit of a buzz. Like most people on this board we sit around discussing the ins and outs of the albums and know our way around quite few of their songs.
In 1977 I was hooked on ‘Grip’ and then ‘Rattus’ and have been a fan ever since. The band’s neo psychedelic- outsider- status mixed with a bass driven punk aggression made them perfect for someone growing up in Blackpool. We were outsiders who loved punk rock and magic mushrooms. There was an intelligence and an originality at play here as well as a sardonic wit and a coolness.
The Stranglers were like no other band and all the fashionistas hated them- how perfect is that?
When ‘Norfolk Coast’ was being promoted I was sent a 3 track preview copy of the album because I’m a music journalist by day. I was instantly blows away. It sounded like The Stranglers had woken up again after a decade of pretty good albums that somehow lacked the baroque menace and dark power that always twisted the best of their songs. Mark 2 had some fine moments but ‘Norfolk Coast’ was the fucking business- the best Stranglers album since ‘La Folie’.
I’d interviewed JJ Burnel 2 or 3 times and found him charming whilst being as sharp and committed to the Strangled schtick as ever. Always a great interview JJ was one of those musicians who could talk about anything thrown his way. I went to a playback of the album down near Bath with punk forum contributor Steve H and his chum and we all sat there buzzing as the album blasted out of the speakers. It was our first full listen and the relief that the band were back on full throttle was tangibale- we were all buzzing afterwards. I interviewed the equally excited band and stayed in a creaky mediaeval pub down the road.
A few weeks later I was bombing down Oxford Rd in Manchester on my bike when my mobile buzzed and the Stranglers management offered us the tour, ‘would we want to do it?’
‘fuck yes’
So we piled into the van three months later and hit the road to Newcastle.
Now a band like Gold Blade are not your typical support band. We have our own, albeit smaller, thing going. We’ve toured the world and generally headline. We have a following.
Supporting is a tough call. Its like gate crashing a party. But then you can’t lose- if people like it- well thats great and if people hate it- well that can be very entertaining as well.
We got to the venue while The Stranglers were soundchecking and we instantly hit it off with them and their crew. The band are one of the most affable groups on the circuit, laid back and seemed genuinely pleased that we wanted to play with them.
The venue itself is not the main arena which holds 6000 but a pretty big room to the side of it.
We play football on the dancefloor whilst the Stranglers soundcheck, its great hearing them sound like this- the bass driven twisted guitar Stranglers are here again and they sound great.
There's about a 1000 in there for the show. Stranglers fans are loyal and post ‘Norfolk Coast’ there is a buzz in the air and alot more of them. Word seems to have got out about the band cranking it up again on the new album.
The gig fills up pretty quick. There’s some familiar faces here. We have good little crowd in Newcastle and a bunch of them are down here tonight. Its good to see some familiar faces.
The dressing room is miles away from the stage right on the otherside of the Arena, to get to the stage you have to walk through the whole of the arena to get to the smaller stage- it takes about ten fucking minutes to get there!
Jet Black is hanging about, never met him before- he seems surprisingly affable, the reputation that precedes him is like all the reputations that hover around The Stranglers- its bullshit.
Backstage JJ and Baz drop into our dressing room for a chat. Baz is a top bloke, he’s the same age as us and grew up with punk rock. He used to be in The Toy Dolls which is cool in my book. He’s from Sunderland which has a great punk rock tradition and there are a lot of people here tonight to check him out.
I’ve asked JJ to show me some karate moves and he shows a couple of blocks- one is harder to learn than the other. He doesn't mess about- some of his punches are pretty hard! its a good warm up for the show!
We get into our stage duds they don’t stink the venue stink- having been off the road for a couple of months...we then get tuned up and run towards the stage.
We get on stage and play our thirty minute set.
Its tough being a support band. Everyone is waiting for the main band and their expectations are low. Looking for some mosh pit action is natural but its not going to happen. Most of the crowd have never heard of you. Some like the mellower end of the Stranglers and our twin guitar assault is going to go over their heads, but there is a big chunk of the crowd who grew up on punk rock and they get it. As the set moves on we feel the crowd getting on board, some sort of rapore is getting built up and then we have to fuck off.
Post gig we hang out by the T shirt stand and there is a lot of people coming up saying they were into the show having ever heard of us before.
The Stranglers hit the stage into ‘Norfolk Coast’ and it sounds great. There seems a whole new determination about the band who have broken the rules yet again and cranked up another level. When the bass rumbles in at the beginning of ‘Norfolk Coast’ you get that whole rush and when the drums kick in it feels pretty damn good.

C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! » 14 Dec 2004, 01:22

The best band got the slot! I hope you get next years slots too... It couldn't happen to nicer blokes.

Like yer new tubthumoer John.

crassy :pissedagain:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P » 14 Dec 2004, 01:37

Nice one John, now fuck your e-diary, how was last Friday you northern cnut?!

:D

Edited By Dom P on 1102984703
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five

quiffology
SHAKESPEARO

Post by quiffology » 14 Dec 2004, 01:42

charmed!
will get to last Friday in a bit.
it was a good night...met some good people and played some mean rock n roll- is there a better way to spend your time?

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard » 14 Dec 2004, 08:11

Great stuff John!

Really looking forward to see Goldblade again. Must also invest in your music too.
Nice to have a quick chat with you afterwards.

The best ever Stranglers support act!
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon » 14 Dec 2004, 12:34

This was the 2nd time ive seen goldeblade support the stranglers 1st in march were i was at the back but i manged to get to the front row for this concert. It was cool of them to dedicate one of their songs Ac/dc to dimebag darrell as his my favourite guitarist.

They were the best support band iv'e seen out of the 3 which were shindler on the coup de grace tour not really my cup of tea, & clean who were boaring. Hope goldblade play with them again.

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P » 14 Dec 2004, 12:37

quiffology wrote:charmed!
will get to last Friday in a bit.
it was a good night...met some good people and played some mean rock n roll- is there a better way to spend your time?
No way... I loved your band , mate... very up there... but Crass claims you were a bit subdued... Jesus, I'd love to see you on one!!

Rock on!

:D
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five

EddyBurnel
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by EddyBurnel » 14 Dec 2004, 13:05

Tell us about the second drummer, John!?

And I reckon your drummer should have more drums, cymbals and two bass drums...aye!

Edited By EddyBurnel on 1103025992

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 14 Dec 2004, 13:38

Nice one John. When I first met you at one of your gigs a couple of years ago the first thing you talked about was you and your band being in the tour van? listening to No More Heroes (album) on constant rotation. It`s great that you and your band have got the Stranglers support slot. I also think it`s great for the fans as well as we have a genuine support group who respect the Stranglers and are bloody good as well!

Goldblade

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

mccardigan
Ugly
Ugly

Post by mccardigan » 14 Dec 2004, 13:40

Too right. At SBE I was well warmed up when you were done. I think GB were responsible for me hacking my way to the front for the first time in ages.

Thankyou good sir.
if your breasts are too big you'll fall over. Unless, of course, you wear a rucksack.

Alenyx
Rats Rally

Post by Alenyx » 14 Dec 2004, 17:07

excellent... more of this please :)
fantastic gig on friday!

Ice
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ice » 14 Dec 2004, 17:53

How nice to read a Tour Diary/gig review from the Support Band as opposed to the fans or the main band themselves.

More installements, please.
Deadly with make-up on...