10 European Tour Diary

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 10 European Tour Diary

Post by ThruBeingCool » 13 Jun 2010, 00:44

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Where's those mods when you need them! :lol: :lol:

Jim

We're watching ;-) ;-) Have no doubts :smt004

Give a man a badge :!: :grin:

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 13 Jun 2010, 01:19

Dear Owen,

that post was without doubt one of the most interesting (if not the best) write ups that have ever appeared on this forum. Definitely "Forums Gold " - which is it's rightful place .However, most people seem to be more interseted in the likes of the 'Word Association Football' and 'Five Word Story' threads judgning by replies & views.Nevermind.

Anyhoos...............

I will always remember meeting you and your friends in Jersey. We arrived at about the same time didn't we? I had travelled with my brother and a few other mates via Weymouth (by Hydrofoil) and on arrival at St Helier we were also being given some grief by the local customs/constabulary who were worried about folks from the mainland bringing drugs onto the island. I used to love a row with coppers in those days but I had to keep my mouth shut on that occassion. I think we all did, otherwise NO GIG!

I also remember that the arrival was 1 day before the gig,a Thursday night? After negotiating a couple of cheapish B +B's we all ended up in a local nightclub that night, the DJ played 'ADAAOTN' , obviously acknowlodging our prescence...time to get topless then! And almost kicked out!

On the day of the gig the Nottingham contingent were up early,enjoying the sunshine and participating in the mother of all drinking sessions....a classic "all dayer"...which might explain how ya came to fisticuffs with one of my mates later that evening. I apologise on Steve's behalf but then again you probably had it coming Owen :wink:

Once again, absolutely brilliant post and after doing 'Inter Rail' meself , some 3 years earlier than you lot (and nowt to do wiv The Stranglers, I might add) ...well,
some of your experiences involving travel & accommodation do strike a chord with me.

LICKY LICKY..but so wot :!:

50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches » 13 Jun 2010, 02:54

An EXCELLENT post there Owen, plenty of depth and interesting tales of what makes gigging abroad so enjoyable.
Ive had that 'ashamed of being a Brit' feeling many times - especially in the 80s.
As I said, a great read - exactly what this forum needs more of. :smt023
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!

foolsrushout
Down In The Sewer

Post by foolsrushout » 13 Jun 2010, 08:50

Owen this is what this fan wants , AUTHENTIC memories shared by a fan with real passion and commitment ! Thank you .

I remember you asked me if I wanted to go with you guys but I simply didnt have the self confidence to do Europe ( Sad for a 24yr old)

It was great to see Dave from York in the photos , a real gentleman with a great motorbike ! I remember Steve too from this era , he was your sidekick for a while if Im not mistaken ; ) ..where are these guys now?

Anyhow I look forward to future in depth memories , maybe the 89 Mini Tour where you guys came to the Emerald Isle and stayed at my Mums House if im not mistaken.

The 10 tour was sad in many ways for those of us who had trudged the road for the previous decade but alot of the craic was just being on the road with Mibs and Wibs even if we had to listen to a brass section and tell each other every night it was ok ...it wasnt though.

Memories ....
wants to be left alone....

Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker » 13 Jun 2010, 09:30

Top quality, Owen. Thanks very much. 8)

ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic » 13 Jun 2010, 10:56

Nah, right load of old bollocks. It would have been better if it was a list of places visited on the 10 tour (in alphabetical order, with a sub list of continental venues that were not used but would have been suitable for a gig in alternative circumstances.....complimented by a list of potential alternative circumstances arranged in order of likelehood and preferance) cross referenced by a list of favourite continental railway stations and how they compare to British ones with a particular emphasis on the toilet facilities and vending machine arrangements (if applicable).

Very poor effort Owen, but if thats the best you can do then we'll just have to put up with it.

:smt077
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.

mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate » 13 Jun 2010, 14:20

ravenlunatic wrote:Nah, right load of old bollocks. It would have been better if it was a list of places visited on the 10 tour (in alphabetical order, with a sub list of continental venues that were not used but would have been suitable for a gig in alternative circumstances.....complimented by a list of potential alternative circumstances arranged in order of likelehood and preferance) cross referenced by a list of favourite continental railway stations and how they compare to British ones with a particular emphasis on the toilet facilities and vending machine arrangements (if applicable).

Very poor effort Owen, but if thats the best you can do then we'll just have to put up with it.

:smt077
Wise words RL-I'll do it like that for the next installment....

Everyone has memories like this they can share & this forum is the place to do it...
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments & feedback-makes it feel worthwhile (Licky Licky!). Great to get feedback from the travelling contingent (you know who you are!) as they know the memories European trips can bring. That was the idea behind the Wonky (or should that be an A?) trips, to pass the European experience on to a wider fan base who may not necessarily make the trip under their own steam. Thanks for the comments :oops:
Did someone say "Wonky"?

ladpinblack

Post by ladpinblack » 13 Jun 2010, 15:26

Just had a chance to read this for the 2nd time. Excellent stuff, just with these forums are all about.

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 13 Jun 2010, 21:36

As you said at the gig in Caen, "You can't beat seeing them abroad".

Very true :!:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard » 16 Jun 2010, 22:34

Fabulous stuff Owen!

And a pic with you with jeans on! :shock:

:lol:

Post of the year me thinks. 8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''

doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack » 17 Jun 2010, 00:16

Great tale, Owen.

Some of those photos are real collector's items... I mean, Deek with a soft drink in his hand! Never seen that before. :grin:
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.

mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate » 18 Jun 2010, 01:19

doninblack wrote:Some of those photos are real collector's items... I mean, Deek with a soft drink in his hand! Never seen that before. :grin:
Well spotted Don-he was probably holding it for me while I took the picture! :oops:
Did someone say "Wonky"?