The La Folie UK Tour 1981.

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
Blackbeered
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The La Folie UK Tour 1981.

Post by Blackbeered » 18 Aug 2010, 01:21

Have the Hammersmith Palais gig from November 81 on constant repeat at the moment.

What happens after the first one and a half minutes of Threatened :?: :?: Yes, I've done a search....

All seems to be going to plan, then at 1.30 we are left with just Jet for the next two minutes. At around 3.30, it all kicks off again.......why did they all (but Jet) stop playing for those two minutes :?:

Sounded like a great gig....oh, to have been there in those days.....would've been eleven years old I would've.....mum probably wouldn't have let me go anyway... :(

Loved PiL's review on page 2. Listening to the CD and reading his review (of his very first Stranglers gig no less :smt023 ), makes me almost feel like I was there :P
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro » 18 Aug 2010, 12:14

After seeing The Stranglers at the Edinburgh Playhouse for the first time in 1981 during the "La Folie" tour, I was looking forward to them travelling back up to Scotland in Jan/Feb 1982 as Hugh had explained to Billy Sloan in an interview broadcast after the Glasgow Apollo gig on Radio Clyde that they wanted to do a tour of smaller venues in Scotland and wanted to go to places in Scotland that didn't normally feature on normal UK tours. I remember he quoted Ayr, Holyhead (which is in Wales!!), Dumfries, Dundee (a city they had been banned from playing in) & Aberdeen. Hugh stated it would happen. I remember seeing the announced UK dates for Part 2 of the "La Folie" tour in early 1982 and it didn't have one Scottish date!!! They were smaller venues alright but all in England!! the northern most date was in Leeds!! I was well pissed off!! :smt013
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"

I.K. Burnel
Down In The Sewer

Post by I.K. Burnel » 18 Aug 2010, 14:51

I saw them at the good old Cornwall Coliseum on the 'Golden Brown' leg of the tour, 27th January 1982. My third Stranglers gig, the previous two being July '80, also at the Coliseum, and February '81 at Plymouth Poly. I was 16 at the time. I have no recollection whatsoever of the support band-seeing 'Boys in darkness' on the ticket stubs posted here has jogged my memory enough to suggest that they were the support band, but I cannot remember a single thing about them. I must have seen them, as my policy at the time was to set up camp straight down the front, JJ's side, as soon as I set foot in the place, and not move until the lights went up.
I remember this being JJ's red braces period, accompanied by a pair of black german army combat trousers-I scoured surplus shops for months afterwards trying to find a similar pair-I finally tracked some down in Union Street, Plymouth! Dyeing a grey pair black failed miserably.
I can clearly remember Tramp, Let me introduce you, The man they love to hate and of course Golden Brown being played-but I'm struggling to recall much more of the set. I'm fairly sure Nuclear device was in there, as I think was No more heroes, and again mention elsewhere of Tank, with strobe lighting, leads me to believe that was probably in there too. Hell, it was nearly thirty years ago now! I loved it of course, but in truth it wasn't their best show at the Coliseum, which to my mind was the Feline tour in '83.
And yes, I bought Domino Dance! On 12"-although I don't recall hearing it on the tour-I more likely heard it on Peel or the like-or I may just have liked the look of the cover and decided to take a chance!

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro » 18 Aug 2010, 15:43

I.K. Burnel wrote:I saw them at the good old Cornwall Coliseum on the 'Golden Brown' leg of the tour, 27th January 1982. My third Stranglers gig, the previous two being July '80, also at the Coliseum, and February '81 at Plymouth Poly. I was 16 at the time. I have no recollection whatsoever of the support band-seeing 'Boys in darkness' on the ticket stubs posted here has jogged my memory enough to suggest that they were the support band, but I cannot remember a single thing about them. I must have seen them, as my policy at the time was to set up camp straight down the front, JJ's side, as soon as I set foot in the place, and not move until the lights went up.
I remember this being JJ's red braces period, accompanied by a pair of black german army combat trousers-I scoured surplus shops for months afterwards trying to find a similar pair-I finally tracked some down in Union Street, Plymouth! Dyeing a grey pair black failed miserably.
I can clearly remember Tramp, Let me introduce you, The man they love to hate and of course Golden Brown being played-but I'm struggling to recall much more of the set. I'm fairly sure Nuclear device was in there, as I think was No more heroes, and again mention elsewhere of Tank, with strobe lighting, leads me to believe that was probably in there too. Hell, it was nearly thirty years ago now! I loved it of course, but in truth it wasn't their best show at the Coliseum, which to my mind was the Feline tour in '83.
And yes, I bought Domino Dance! On 12"-although I don't recall hearing it on the tour-I more likely heard it on Peel or the like-or I may just have liked the look of the cover and decided to take a chance!
Dom, put the Cornwall Coliseum gig up on the "links to things" section a few months ago, I'm not sure if it's still available though? 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky » 18 Aug 2010, 21:03

i remember seeing both taxi girl and mr sprats twentieth century motets on this tour and also the dancers in white sheets spelling out la folie.for some of those gigs i was at the front close enough to see jj use his echo delay pedal, i also remember that they encored alot with genetix and also hughs pink socks

Flyboy
Rats Rally

Post by Flyboy » 18 Aug 2010, 22:34

Aw this was cool tour I remember. The first night as quoted on the very first post.......The Granary wasn't officially part of the tour. It was a freebie gig to anyone who wrote into R.P.M at BBC Bristol, Whiteladies Road. My sis was working for Andy Batten Foster and told me about it. (I was a lucky one, and no I didnt get preferential treatment)

The Bath gig was memorable.....cos I have a recording (Ahem). I remember JJ walking around near the front door at the time, shoving a drum stick up his nose.......and giving his best french pout to those of us who grinned at him.

Jeff

raven1
Rats Rally

Post by raven1 » 18 Aug 2010, 23:35

what a great night at the rainbow london. tried to find the ticket but my ex wife must have it in my old house .
sadly those gigs in the early eighties will never be matched again.
what great gigs , so young and so wide open, but just slowly fading away.
the roxy , ham pally. ham oden .the rainbow, the lycem,. ace brixton
raven records on ebay lots of stranglers items for sale.

Blackbeered
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Blackbeered » 25 Aug 2010, 14:00

Blackbeered wrote:Have the Hammersmith Palais gig from November 81 on constant repeat at the moment.

What happens after the first one and a half minutes of Threatened :?: :?: Yes, I've done a search....

All seems to be going to plan, then at 1.30 we are left with just Jet for the next two minutes. At around 3.30, it all kicks off again.......why did they all (but Jet) stop playing for those two minutes :?:
Posted this question a week ago. Thought someone on here would know the answer.........sorry, I appreciate it WAS nearly 29 years ago :!:

I'm just interested to know what was happening - I have a big gap in my mental picture of this gig......I can hear JJ's bass every now and again, and Jet keeps going throughout, but it could be that Hugh was having problems as nothing is heard from him for nearly two minutes.

Trivia maybe, but interesting trivia nonetheless :!:

The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Strangler » 25 Aug 2010, 16:19

Cells&Plasma wrote:
Alias wrote:
Dom P wrote:.. 7 minute version of Threatened...

:lol:

It's just a broken bass, innit? Cool of Jet to still keep hammering the beat though, giving it that
authentic 70's Disco remix vibe 8)
Far from it....somone just in front of me spat @ JJ and it landed on his fringe....he took of his bass and left the stage.....I guess to clean it off. When he came back on he just stood there for a sec and looked @ the front of the crowd, as if to say try that again and....... :? ....then we were away straight back into Threatened....amazing gig. :lol: 8)
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.

Blackbeered
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Blackbeered » 25 Aug 2010, 18:04

The Strangler wrote:
Cells&Plasma wrote:
Alias wrote:

:lol:

It's just a broken bass, innit? Cool of Jet to still keep hammering the beat though, giving it that
authentic 70's Disco remix vibe 8)
Far from it....somone just in front of me spat @ JJ and it landed on his fringe....he took of his bass and left the stage.....I guess to clean it off. When he came back on he just stood there for a sec and looked @ the front of the crowd, as if to say try that again and....... :? ....then we were away straight back into Threatened....amazing gig. :lol: 8)
Cheers Bri.......and C&P :smt023

nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack » 22 Dec 2010, 21:42

Just to add to this thread.I saw them at the Birmingham Odeon on this tour.First time I'd seen them sat in the stalls at the Odeon.You'd got a better chance of getting right down to the front if you were downstairs.I'd been upstairs before.You had to run the gauntlet past the bouncers first,mind. :grin: The stage was usually completely invaded during the encores. :grin: The bouncers couldn't keep up. :grin:
Golden Brown wasn't a hit at the time of this concert,but I remember being thrilled to bits with the new album,even if Pin Up jumped no matter how many times you took it back to the shops.I was a massive fan of Let Me Introduce You To The Family and still am and thought at the time at last The Stranglers would have another top 20 hit after a string of undeserved flops,but it wasn't to be.Little did I know what was round the corner with Golden Brown.
Remember seeing SLF at the Birmingham Odeon in November too and meeting the band afterwards,which was great.Didn't get to meet The Stranglers at this gig though. :( Remember my friends and me sitting/standing next to
a couple of attractive girls the same age as us 15 or 16,one being keen on Hugh and the other JJ.Still remember trying to chat them up and discussing the age of Jet.None of us could believe he was in his forties and old enough to be our Dad.Now I'm much older than he was and I could never imagine myself doing what he did then ! Needless to say the gig was a good one,remember buying the La Folie tour t/shirt-the one with the heart on it.Didn't wash that well if I remember correctly or was it I just put on weight quickly :smile:,who knows.Great music and great times for me.
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 22 Dec 2010, 22:39

Nice one Nick! Sounds like we were at the same gig. You could have said "Hello!".

:smt011 Tsk.