The La Folie UK Tour 1981.

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The La Folie UK Tour 1981.

Post by dan-electro » 15 Nov 2009, 22:22

Ticket From Birmingham Odeon 15-11-1981 8)
Attachments
Birmingham Odeon 15-11-1981.jpg
Birmingham Odeon 15-11-1981.jpg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro » 15 Nov 2009, 22:23

Found another ticket from the second leg of the tour in 1982.
Attachments
Sheffield Polytechnic - 21-01-1982.jpg
Sheffield Polytechnic - 21-01-1982.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro » 15 Nov 2009, 22:34

Promo poster scan for the Hammersmith Odeon gig (this is the one that radio 1 recorded). The lead singer for the support band 'Boys in Darkness' was my art teacher for a short time in 1982. 8)
Attachments
0130_1.jpg
0130_1.jpg (26.73 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 16 Nov 2009, 19:20

dan-electro wrote:Promo poster scan for the Hammersmith Odeon gig (this is the one that radio 1 recorded). The lead singer for the support band 'Boys in Darkness' was my art teacher for a short time in 1982. 8)
I had forgotten all about, "Derek Block" the promoter.

Not much on him on the net from those days.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

MANUINBLACK
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by MANUINBLACK » 17 Nov 2009, 18:00

[quote="PaulinLondon"]

My first ever Stranglers gig was on this tour at the Hammersmith Palais and it will have been 28 years ago next Tuesday, 17 November. It was an astonishing night and a life changer. I was MiBBed :lol:

I was also lucky enough to be with good friends and see the band again for a second time at the Rainbow on 4 December.

Two amazing concerts of which various aspects I will never forget.

I went to the same two but unfortunately my memory of particular happenings is sketchy (to say the least)I seem to remember the bouncers at the Palais being a particular pain in the rear and also buying an unofficial silk scarf outside(fuck knows why :evil: very Bay City Rollerish :oops: :twisted: ) the figures were amusing (for a couple of minutes) but the gigs were fantastic and remember Hugh being very chipper at both concerts.
well that was amazing,its taken him all day to learn that bass solo

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 20 Nov 2009, 11:50

Alias wrote:Great thread- will have a thunk over the weekend....

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

GUYHAM
Down In The Sewer

Post by GUYHAM » 20 Nov 2009, 14:27

I was in my first term at Warwick Uni when I went to the Rainbow with chum 'Shubs' who was a Clash fan mostly.I can't remember if I went to Birmingham on 15/11as I went to the Odeon a few times over the period.Shubs and I lived in a big student house off the square on top of The Parade in Leamington Spa with 33 other blokes!(the female student houses were 5 mins walk away!)I think it is part of a local school now.

We got the train down from Coventry on the friday afternoon and stopped overnight at my sister's place in Wood Green where she was working for the local Council as a Nursery Nurse.Don't remember much about the gig apart from Shubs meeting a girl he knew,perhaps from back home.She had a back stage pass I think and an invite to an after show party-I think we could have maybe gone but we didnt in any case.Later she told Shubs that she had got to the party and Jet was swigging Vodka straight from the bottle.The show was great but the crowd very energetic is about all I recall.

We had a very uncomfortable and cold night at my sister's ;me on a chair and Shubs on the sofa.We returned to Coventry on the train the next morning and walked back towards the Uni with a view to hitching a lift on the road back to L/Spa.Being a Saturday there wernt many students driving to Leamington and we stood there for ages.Eventually 2 female students came out of a house nearby and offered to give us a lift back to the student house.They left something at our place and wandered off saying the would be back.I think we thought our luck was in but should have know better,as if they did come back they didnt come looking for us if someone let 'em in.

In the student house half took drugs and half didnt.I was in the first group and Shubs was in the latter.It got a bit silly when they were sending someone over to Amsterdam at the weekend to get the gear.Shubs over indulged and had a paranoid attack that summer and ended up in an institution and missed the 2nd year,but returned in the 3rd so we didnt see much of each other after that as he had a new gang.He used to play the geetar in a band.

I couldnt believe it when I heard they were going to play the Uni Arts Center 2 months later.It was the hall were we took the exams and it was on the gig circuit.Unfortunately it was a bit like Rock Goes to College MK 2 with, I think I am right in saying, a few comments being made by the band about students etc.I do remember the furore in the student newspaper about someone getting a good belting off JJ for invading the stage.The girl next to me at the front kept reaching to touch Hugh's shoes and he said;" theres a girl down here with a foot fetish- how horrible' or somthing like that .

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 21 Nov 2009, 03:27

Ace thread 8)
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 21 Nov 2009, 03:27

PaulinLondon wrote:
Alias wrote:Great thread- will have a thunk over the weekend....

:lol:
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

APOLLO79
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by APOLLO79 » 21 Nov 2009, 17:49

:shock: ah jist cannae get ma heid roon it that it'll be 28 stretch this Monday! :shock: Bought the album at the Auld Candleriggs market. . Sigh. 28yrs. .
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'

Frank Castle
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frank Castle » 24 Nov 2009, 22:46

APOLLO79 wrote::shock: ah jist cannae get ma heid roon it that it'll be 28 stretch this Monday! :shock: Bought the album at the Auld Candleriggs market. . Sigh. 28yrs. .

Scary right enough A79 I remember Shuggy getting the audience to shout out...."Hello Mum,hello Dad this is your lovely Son speaking" for the Radio Clyde broadcast.And a interview with the band with Billy Sloan being broadcast with said live gig in the New Year of 1982.......... :grin:

Great memories and I went to this gig on my Jack Jones.

APOLLO79
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by APOLLO79 » 25 Nov 2009, 22:00

:shock: so did I! In fact most Stranglers gigs I was on my tod:bit like goin to the flicks to see the likes of Porridge,history of the world pt1, Scum, Quadraphenia,the Shining. .misspent youth. Pool,snooker,fitbaw,music,cinema,smoking and drugs . .oh and girls. . No wonder I'm lacking in education and up a dead end. :( Could be worse. . :lol:
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'