The La Folie UK Tour 1981.

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
LAFOLIE
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The La Folie UK Tour 1981.

Post by LAFOLIE » 13 Nov 2009, 10:47

I remember it well!
I am the knot that slips from the loop

I am the earth that conquers the root

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P » 13 Nov 2009, 11:46

For those of you that missed it first time, both in reality, and in bootleg form:

Hammersmith Palais, Nov 17, 1981

Very very 8)
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 13 Nov 2009, 12:13

Great posts people.

I posted the following a long time ago. They are my memories of my first ever Stranglers gig which was on this La Folie tour at the Hammersmith Palais, 17 November 1981 (see Dom's post above 8) )

"We exited the Tube station at Hammersmith and made our way to the Palais. We were so excited. We could not stop talking about what we thought the band would play and what we hoped they would play. At the time, we had mainly been listening to “Rattus”, “Live x Cert”, “Black and White” and “The Raven” but were still retuning and adapting our ears to “The Meninblack” album. We were probably too young to appreciate its brilliance.

On the way to The Palais, I felt like I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. I had spent nearly two years listening to the band but my gorgeous parents had not allowed me to go and see them earlier. I was now 17 and I must have done something right to have been allowed to go.

We joined the queue waiting to get into the venue. It was already one hundred or so people deep and everyone looked very serious. They looked much older than us and they smoked cigarettes in a very cool and nonchalant way. You could not tell whether it was cigarette smoke coming from their mouths or the cold, London November air. We were smoking at the time but this guy in front of me, taller than me, booted up in leather with a great big Raven logo on the back of his black leather jacket looked at me and he just knew I was a virgin; this was my first Stranglers gig. I smiled at him; I got nothing back.

I do not recollect handing in my ticket to Mr. Door Foyer man. All I know is that I have the remnant stub to this day. I do not remember going through the foyer. I do not remember anyone who was around me. All I remember is finding myself in this sea of people dressed in black. By this time, our group of six had become dispersed due to the sheer number and massive flock of people who had come to see The Stranglers on 17 November 1981.

Three of us made our way to the outskirts of the mosh pit (was it called that then ?) stage centre. It was impossible to venture further but we somehow managed to once the band had come on stage. I was so thirsty yet I still put another Benson & Hedges to my lips. My heart was pumping to the adrenalin of the people beat. There were people everywhere and they were here to see one thing only and that spectacle was The Stranglers. Just as well, otherwise we were all at the wrong gig !

By chance, I was gradually getting gently and soothingly crushed, with no effort, further forward towards the stage. I somehow managed to apply the brakes and found an “airhole” and was able to hold my ground with the two last remaining friends from our group of six.

My mind and memory then go blank…….

The next thing I remember is having to leave “Crush Valley” as soon as possible. The moshpit is taking the breath from me but I love the fleeting moments which have stayed with me. The snippets of seeing Hugh at the mike, JJ’s left leg at 45 degrees, the flash of Jet’s right arm at the snare and the man they call Dave, producing the most extraordinary sounds at his alter with such a calmness amongst this heat and passion.

As I forced my way back to a bigger air pocket, I look up and smile.

What is going on here ? This is extraordinary ? I am hearing songs that I have only ever heard on record before but live, they sound even more amazing and I am seeing the people that wrote and composed those songs. And as I thought these brief thoughts with The Stranglers sound all around me, I looked up to the vast and beautiful ceiling of the Hammersmith Palais whose finer points I could not make out because of cigarette smoke and the steam coming off those male and female leather jackets.

But one thing caught my eye as I made my way to what was to become the mixing desk and a place where I could compose myself, turn around and watch the band for the remaining half of their set.

It looked like a lighthouse but it was infact the front lense of a professional film/tv camera. I headed straight for it. I had hardly seen any bouncers or security all evening and all that went through my mind was that if there was a camera crew there, surely there would be a place of relative calm.

The calmness lasted about three minutes but I caught 95% of “Nuclear Device” (as I mentioned in my earlier post) through a small black and white monitor next to two very pretty French girls. They were going “Elvis Presley teenage fan” crazy for JJ and I just stood their and smiled at their “Oooh, Jay Jay !” and their “Ah !! Magnifique”s.

My last recollection of the guts and bowels of Her Majesty’s ship, “The Palais”, is somehow finding myself on the next level up from the ground floor. Most of our group had somehow found each other but the signal and shouts before the first encore were that the view of the stage from the level above was better; and so it was.

To this day, I have no idea what songs the band played for the encore or how many encores they played. All I remember, is my eyes fixed on the fans, the “sound” of the band and the sheer interaction between band and the crowd. It was utterly stunning.

The band, dressed in black, looked amazing. Their backdrop of black, looked amazing.

JJ’s Bass rig seemed like the seventh wonder of the world ! Dave’s keyboard alter looked like something that Kraftwerk should have aspired to. It all just looked so brilliant and so cool and so new. Just like it still does to this day.

Yet, during the whole evening and still 25 years later, I am utterly unable to equate why this whole evening left a lasting impression on me. I mean that. Like most of us, you witness that first gig and nothing else is allowed to better it. And subsequent Stranglers gigs only go to reinforce the point and belief of which you (with a most extraordinary pride) have no control of whatsoever.

As I have said, I had been listening to the band for about two years before this gig but I think finally seeing, JJ, Hugh, Dave and Jet, live and in their element, nothing would ever better this experience; and it hasn’t.

What I find so thought provoking is that certain people such as Al Hillier and others obviously caught the band much, much earlier on than 1981; much earlier than the introduction of the colour black and much earlier before the band was ever, ever going to hit the dizzy heights of the Hammersmith Palais or the Glasgow Apollo. Those days must have been incredible.

Al’s generation first saw the band as they then were; the growing infant, watching, learning and evloving.

On my first outing, I only got to see them as the spotty teenager with a decent dress code".
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias » 13 Nov 2009, 14:19

Great thread- will have a thunk over the weekend....
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 13 Nov 2009, 16:00

27.11.81 Bradford St. Georges Hall.

My first gig @ 15 years young and my first ever Stranglers gig.
Crikey 28 years ago already.
8)

rattusrattus
Rats Rally

Post by rattusrattus » 13 Nov 2009, 17:42

As Mickinblack said further up in this thread, the rush to the front at the Brum Odeon was a bit mad, and probably in the Mark1 days the Odeon was probably the top gig in England. As we had been in Brum most of the day my memory of this gig is a bit hazy to say the least. I went with my mate Nick from Leighton Buzzard so after this gig we made our way down south in anticipation of the Hammersmith Palais gig.

So after a booze fuelled day off between the Odeon and Palais gig we headed into London. One of our fave spots in London was a Pub called the Woodstock of Oxford Street and a bar called Sound and Vision were I seem to recall a video of 'Nice n Sleazy' kept being played. As we were boozing throughout the day our funds were running dry, in fact down to our last 20p but luckilly we had gig and train tix, theres always water in the bogs to quench our thirst. Anyway as we were about to leave the Woodstock Nick decided to put the 20p in the bandit, shit or bust as they say. First spin, bugger all and he pressed the start button for the second play and walked away, then out dropped £10 in 10p pieces ( bear in mind it was prob 10bob a pint then), fantastic !!!

We made our way to the Palais and joined the queue and again from my hazy memory a TV crew were present and I got interviewed, dont think the piece ever saw the light of day. The gig at the Palais will probably go down as one of the best gigs Ive seen the boys play and the bootleg Dom has put up just shows how good the boys were that night ( i gave dom the tape by the way).

My next gig was back on home terrortory at the Manc Apollo, and Ive got to say that after the truly great gigs at the Odeon and Palais the one at Manchester was bloody awful, probably the worst gig of the original era, the audience was like being at a modern day Old Trafford and that was probably while (in my opinion) thew went through the motions. The night after was at the Royal Court in Liverpool and I was dreading this gig after the night before in Manchester as it was my girlfriends (now wife) debut at a Stranglers gig (she's now in the 40 plus gig bracket). What a difference 24 hours make, the scousers get some grief for one thing or another but they dont arf know how to enjoy a gig, the atmosphere was top drawer and the band played accordingly. One funny thing that I do remember from before the gig was that Glen Campbell was playing over the road at the Empire and as his punters were queing up to go in a load of scouse scallies (and a few of us) gave a good rendition of 'Rhinestone Cowboy'.

My final gig of the tour was at the Rainbow and of all the gigs Ive witnessed in London the Rainbow was my favourite. What most stands in the memory really was not the stranglers, but the other things like pre gig beers and crap support bands.
Am I right in thinking Taxi Girl were the support on this tour ? with Headline ! Taxi Girl came in for a load of stick, probably because they were Frogs, I even joined in the baiting but that was what was expected. I even bought Seppuku which wernt bad.

For those that managed to see these gigs it was something special and Im glad I was fortunate to witness it.

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro » 13 Nov 2009, 18:27

I always wondered what company filmed the Hammersmith Palais gig? It never did see the light of day :x I remember the Edinburgh Playhouse gig in 1986 (1st night) got filmed by a TV crew (I think it was for French TV) and recall seeing a clip of the gig on a feature of the bands new album '10' on 'Rapido' in 1990. It's amazing how many Stranglers related things have been recorded by TV and Radio and never broadcast!! :roll:
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"

villainblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by villainblack » 13 Nov 2009, 20:39

dan-electro wrote: It's amazing how many Stranglers related things have been recorded by TV and Radio and never broadcast!! :roll:

The MIB grabbed them all to stop the message getting to the masses :lol: part of the conspiracy against them
Please allow me to re-arrange your face sometimes
I'd really like to get to know you better

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 13 Nov 2009, 22:42

The cool alarm is ringing and this thread is being moved into the forums gold - Big thanks to everyone who has (or who will) contribute(d) to this thread. Effort has been recognised.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 14 Nov 2009, 00:41

2nd leg of course!

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 14 Nov 2009, 00:43

AND! fromthe first leg... 8)

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 14 Nov 2009, 00:46

Sheffield was 50p more than Derby!?! And The Stranglers were more famous by the time they played Derby! :shock: