INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
shah
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2318
Joined: 23 Dec 2001, 04:23
Location: Dead Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by shah » 25 Jan 2009, 22:58

"Hopefully everyone's already got this version"

Nope!
Where is it? Can anyone post it somehow?
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...

User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33341
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Yorkshire, England
Contact:

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by theraven1979 » 25 Jan 2009, 23:07

It came with the Old Testament box set - and I haven't read it :oops: either if it makes you feel better - although I have flicked through it and I remember there was a good pic of the Wembley gig I think.


Jim
shah wrote:"Hopefully everyone's already got this version"

Nope!
Where is it? Can anyone post it somehow?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

ozymandias
SHAKESPEARO
Posts: 45
Joined: 19 Feb 2008, 10:13
Location: Newcastle

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by ozymandias » 26 Jan 2009, 13:14

Probably already been suggested... but couldn't this be published as a PDF pretty cheaply?

User avatar
suchi
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1247
Joined: 10 Jan 2002, 23:47
Location: Uptown

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by suchi » 26 Jan 2009, 13:21

Hats off to ya Wadey the man of the moment.
Nice to have a bit of fresh fertiliser here on the forum, and I mean that in the nicest way.
Sometimes I get to thinking that there can't be anything left about The Stranglers to chew the fat over. Wth that read from Chris there clearly is. Well Done.

BTW Chris's XTC book was an excellent read and they weren't nearly as obnoxious as The Stranglers. :grin:
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.

Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate
Posts: 821
Joined: 03 Jan 2002, 20:22
Location: North London

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by Alan A Hillier » 26 Jan 2009, 22:14

Chris Twomey really is a committed Stranglers fan and a great writer (and an all round nice geezer to boot) . He has a genuine writing style and, as has been said, he is totally honest and forthright. When I met up with him again after many years (at the Roundhouse 30th) he reminded me about our interviews and was detailed about one in my Dads house, which I simply do not have any recollections of whatsoever. I do remember meeting him in the White Lion Pub in Finchley (with Dennis) and recall his little tape recorder and have a few memories of his questions and stuff like that. Writing is a ‘funny old game’ (well it is for me) and there are so many ways to skin a cat (as someone once said) everything starts in your mind and then the writer trawls the memory banks (unless you are a biographer) but the longer I do this ‘Hobby’ the more I realise that I can spend hours writing something only to wake up the next morning and realise that I could have said so much more (or more importantly…….so much less)

I do, however, remember sitting in my car with Chris and playing him that early demo tape which was given to me by Hugh in early 77 and was an original Cassette taken from the mixing desk. I have it somewhere, but I might need ‘time team’ to find it

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER
Posts: 4564
Joined: 25 Nov 2005, 01:00
Location: Yorkshire

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 26 Jan 2009, 23:52

Nice one Wadey, enjoyed that, cheers.

GUYHAM
Down In The Sewer
Posts: 51
Joined: 16 Oct 2008, 17:51
Location: Croydon

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by GUYHAM » 27 Jan 2009, 18:48

Thanks Wadey and Chris.I am sure it would be a great read and I ,like many I suspect, would weigh a goodly sum,up front if need be.An inside view but not from a band member.

User avatar
BazinBlack
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1323
Joined: 02 Oct 2006, 22:30
Location: At the bar

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by BazinBlack » 28 Jan 2009, 01:20

suchi wrote:Hats off to ya Wadey the man of the moment.
Nice to have a bit of fresh fertiliser here on the forum, and I mean that in the nicest way.
Sometimes I get to thinking that there can't be anything left about The Stranglers to chew the fat over. Wth that read from Chris there clearly is. Well Done.
Hear hear, well done Wadey a great read,

Bazza
Strolling along minding my own business.....

User avatar
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2483
Joined: 28 Apr 2002, 01:28
Location: Edinburgh

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by doninblack » 28 Jan 2009, 01:54

Thanks Wadey and Chris. Enjoyed that. TMTLTH book is excellent and ESSENTIAL reading. I would definitely buy the full version and pay the price required to make it a desirable and memorable tome (geddit?). Hard back, colour photos, minutiae. Yeah, go for it. I'm sure it would sell pretty well. 8)
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.

Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate
Posts: 985
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 20:45
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by Old Angus » 28 Jan 2009, 14:58

Definitely put me down for a copy.
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com

User avatar
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack
Posts: 3395
Joined: 05 Nov 2007, 14:08
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by Bobinblack » 28 Jan 2009, 17:57

Wadey, that was fecking magnificent reading, thanks a million to you both for taking the time to not only do it but makie it so entertaining as well.

I've done a wee bit of publishing in my time and I'm only giving my opinion here, so please don't anyone take umbrage or have a snarl at me :grin:

I really think there is only one way of publishing the book to get it its rightful glories and public/media attention, and that's for CT to present it to a pukka publisher, mainstream preferably (though maybe not a likely outcome) or indie - as long as it's an established publisher. Electronic 'cheapens' it in my opinion (as someone has said) even though producing it on PDF and charging is an honourable idea for the real fans to be able to take advantage of.

And self-publishing is a fine idea too, but not as good as a 'pukka' publication as it won't reach as many people and also means cost on CT or whoever's part, plus needs an ongoing lot of work in promoting and selling it. That's myexperience at least. I would think too, to make it more widely appealing, it needs some updating from CT or at least some recognition from past / present band members and any famous fans of the band.

But anyway, that's my thoughts, for what they're worth but thanks again Wadey, that's the most enjoyable read on here so far for me, and that means no dis to previous posts! 8) 8) 8) 8)
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

User avatar
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2162
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 12:26
Location: Stranglers Official Site
Contact:

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by mantheylovetohate » 28 Jan 2009, 20:10

Bobinblack wrote:I've done a wee bit of publishing in my time and I'm only giving my opinion here, so please don't anyone take umbrage or have a snarl at me :grin:

I really think there is only one way of publishing the book to get it its rightful glories and public/media attention, and that's for CT to present it to a pukka publisher, mainstream preferably (though maybe not a likely outcome) or indie - as long as it's an established publisher. Electronic 'cheapens' it in my opinion (as someone has said) even though producing it on PDF and charging is an honourable idea for the real fans to be able to take advantage of.

And self-publishing is a fine idea too, but not as good as a 'pukka' publication as it won't reach as many people and also means cost on CT or whoever's part, plus needs an ongoing lot of work in promoting and selling it. That's myexperience at least. I would think too, to make it more widely appealing, it needs some updating from CT or at least some recognition from past / present band members and any famous fans of the band.
Great post Bob-spot on. I think the issue with mainstream publishers is the band's 'official' biography No Mercy has already been published, despite the fact that Chris' was the first officially sanctioned one around 15 years before. The indie publishing route is a more likely one (Sanctuary books etc) but the issue would then be how much interest would they show in a book that would only shift around 2-3000 copies & needs illustrating with a lot of photos (which have to be paid for from photo libraries).
Nice, as with Rich's post, to hear from someone with a bit of experience...
Did someone say "Wonky"?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest