INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
paulinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: INTERVIEW WITH CHRIS TWOMEY

Post by paulinblack » 25 Jan 2009, 11:37

That.....(pause for dramatic effect)....was excellent!

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!

richinblack
Rats Rally

Post by richinblack » 25 Jan 2009, 12:14

mantheylovetohate wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:I think if he sold it for a fiver or maybe £8 if he needs to most people? on here would buy it - They'd definately be several hundred sold if that appeals to him?

Jim
Self publishing books is an expensive route & I think that you would expect to pay a lot more than that Jim! 6 years of hard work, struggles with the band & legal wrangling & you want it for less than the price of a cheap CD. Most large distribution magazines in newsagents are about £4 nowadays. I'd imagine a price tag of at least £20 for the printers to do it any kind of justice & for it not to come out like a glorified fanzine (& to give Chris some long overdue reward for his efforts). That is one of the problems with the internet, everyone has access to so much 'free' stuff, they get to expect everything for nothing!!!
Having spoken to Chris on several occasions about his manuscript, I'd far prefer his book to come out properly rather than to repolish the turd that is 'No Mercy' (whose only real detail & interesting anecdotes come from Garry Coward Williams).
there are a few publishing websites Chris might look at to self-publish this work. one being http://www.lulu.com and another being http://www.lightningsource.com. If he wants to PM me, I've a bit of experience in this field and might be able to help. No reason for the finished work not to come out somewhere between a fiver and a tenner, depending on what size he wants the book to be. The main costs that need to be paid up front would be getting the text block done and getting the cover designed. I'm asuming he'll have some nice band piccies that he owns the rights to that he can use on the cover / interior?

Maybe there are graphic designers on here who can help with the text block layout? If I can help with advice about the publishing process, let me know.
cumulus nimbus floats by...

mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate » 25 Jan 2009, 12:29

theraven1979 wrote:Depends how you do it - I had in mind something fairly cheap to produce in a pamphlet style - I'd rather it was done cheap than expensive as I believe it would have more chance to get out the door than something that you're gonna have to mark up to £15. I'm not bothered about glossy paper and stuff I just wanna read it !

Jim
Jim I'd love to read it too! It clearly did come out as a 'pamphlet' in the EMI box set (the word 'booklet' definately touches a nerve with CT!), even though it was abridged & shortened to just the EMI years. Hopefully everyone's already got this version. I think Chris deserves a bit more for all his work on it! I'm sure that any of us that worked on a labour of love for a long period of time would rather it came out properly than just chucking it out as cheap as possible. That is the problem with small print run books, not enough buyers are interested to attract big publishers, but a private print won't sell enough to cover costs. Chris has already had 2 or 3 books published (including his excellent XTC biography) & I'm sure he views TMTLTH as unfinished business.
You do need to remember what you will have paid for the large publisher books in the past: £13 for Song By Song, £18 for No Mercy (in 1997!) & £19 for A Multitude of Sins. Why should, arguably, the definitive story of the band be chucked out for £5-8? We didn't mind paying decent money for 2 flawed books in the past (SBS is still a great read!).
Did someone say "Wonky"?

mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate » 25 Jan 2009, 12:50

richinblack wrote:there are a few publishing websites Chris might look at to self-publish this work. one being http://www.lulu.com and another being http://www.lightningsource.com. If he wants to PM me, I've a bit of experience in this field and might be able to help. No reason for the finished work not to come out somewhere between a fiver and a tenner, depending on what size he wants the book to be. The main costs that need to be paid up front would be getting the text block done and getting the cover designed. I'm asuming he'll have some nice band piccies that he owns the rights to that he can use on the cover / interior?

Maybe there are graphic designers on here who can help with the text block layout? If I can help with advice about the publishing process, let me know.
Interesting post Rich-thanks for the info. I had a quick check on the lulu site & a costing for a 300 page spined paperback B&W book (I assume with photos) would be around £5. It didn't specify a minimum print run. These would need to be shipped from the States (which they say is expensive) & then posted out to customers in the UK. I assume the cost would therefore be closer to £10 all in without CT getting a penny for all his hard work. I've no idea what an author's 'cut' is per book-maybe a £ a year would be a fitting amount.
I'll pass these website details & your details on to CT for him to look into & I'm sure they may also be interesting to Mr Hillier for his project...(Coincidentally, my brother is a graphic designer!)

I'm still a bit confused why the book has to be so cheap though....
Did someone say "Wonky"?

richinblack
Rats Rally

Post by richinblack » 25 Jan 2009, 12:59

[quote=I'm still a bit confused why the book has to be so cheap though....[/quote]

I'd be quite happy to pay usual shop prices for this book, so I guess it's all down to Chris and what he wants from it. Only thing with self-publishing is that authors tend not to make a lot from it. It's certainly possible to do it with ISBNs and distribution into Amazon etc though.

I've never seen the Old Testament version of TMTLTH, so really hope the work comes out at some stage.
cumulus nimbus floats by...

mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate » 25 Jan 2009, 13:08

richinblack wrote:I'd be quite happy to pay usual shop prices for this book, so I guess it's all down to Chris and what he wants from it. Only thing with self-publishing is that authors tend not to make a lot from it. It's certainly possible to do it with ISBNs and distribution into Amazon etc though.
I don't think he'd want to make a fortune from it but I'm sure he'd prefer that the finished product does his hard work justice.
richinblack wrote:I've never seen the Old Testament version of TMTLTH, so really hope the work comes out at some stage.
For me, it's the ultimate Stranglers 'book', full of great stories & anecdotes. Chris performed a mammoth task tracking down many characters from the band's EMI period & it shows in the detail that the book goes into. It's the book that all other books on the band should be judged by IMHO
Did someone say "Wonky"?

Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib » 25 Jan 2009, 17:03

Electronic book would be cheaper I guess ... ;-)

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 25 Jan 2009, 18:18

Yeah you're right - Incidently I have Chris's XTC book and it's a great read.

Jim
mantheylovetohate wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Depends how you do it - I had in mind something fairly cheap to produce in a pamphlet style - I'd rather it was done cheap than expensive as I believe it would have more chance to get out the door than something that you're gonna have to mark up to £15. I'm not bothered about glossy paper and stuff I just wanna read it !

Jim
Jim I'd love to read it too! It clearly did come out as a 'pamphlet' in the EMI box set (the word 'booklet' definately touches a nerve with CT!), even though it was abridged & shortened to just the EMI years. Hopefully everyone's already got this version. I think Chris deserves a bit more for all his work on it! I'm sure that any of us that worked on a labour of love for a long period of time would rather it came out properly than just chucking it out as cheap as possible. That is the problem with small print run books, not enough buyers are interested to attract big publishers, but a private print won't sell enough to cover costs. Chris has already had 2 or 3 books published (including his excellent XTC biography) & I'm sure he views TMTLTH as unfinished business.
You do need to remember what you will have paid for the large publisher books in the past: £13 for Song By Song, £18 for No Mercy (in 1997!) & £19 for A Multitude of Sins. Why should, arguably, the definitive story of the band be chucked out for £5-8? We didn't mind paying decent money for 2 flawed books in the past (SBS is still a great read!).
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon » 25 Jan 2009, 21:11

Online would be a Crass :grin: way to put out years of hard work. The only way to do it justice would be to put it out in a glorified type of bible. The ultimate package up untill dreamtime for £25. Editing may take a long while theres only so many JJ beat this guy up stories you can have for example. .... However XTC is a little offputting.

Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter » 25 Jan 2009, 21:26

I would certainly be interested in getting a copy if this was published.

saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack » 25 Jan 2009, 22:12

Well done Wadey...top work.

As for the book I would definitely buy it but the truth is about 95 per cent of books that are released make no money (I think that is the statistic I read somewhere) and would there really be enough interest among people to propel Chris' work into the other five per cent?

But if he put it online and we had to pay a subscription to read/downlaod it that might work....(no overheads)

Well donw again Wadey for having the initiative to do this on our behalf.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY » 25 Jan 2009, 22:41

Go for it Chris - publish and be damned. I enjoyed the MTLTH 'booklet' and would love to read more.

I would definitely buy the product (anything upto £25 or maybe more). Marco from Punk77 site published The Roxy book and sold it himself thru the website.

Limited personally signed copies could start the ball rolling (or including limited print/postcard run).

Put me down for one anyway. 8)

Mully
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better