Worse Stranglers "career move"

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Worse Stranglers "career move"

Following up Golden Brown with La Folie
39%
Sweet Smell Of Success
3%
"American's have smaller brains"
4%
Aural Sculpture
3%
To continue after Hugh
14%
Euro-dismal
1%
Getting on the wrong side of the media
18%
Lack of decent publicity
9%
Something else (see below)
8%

Total votes: 184

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 13 Aug 2004, 10:01

These aren`t my choices BTW. Just what I think some people could see as a bad move.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich » 13 Aug 2004, 10:14

Following up Golden Brown with La Folie.

Rich.
Black and White becomes........

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 13 Aug 2004, 10:58

I suppose Aural Sculpture.... Although it had some great tunes the clean slick production takes the band away from the "leftlfield" if you understand what i mean. But the stranglers were never made to play a big part in the world of commercial pop, both through their image from the early years and the fact that they were simply too good/smart musically for that.
Which left them with a solid fanbase (most of them still fans) but not much chance at gaining a new audience ...
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 13 Aug 2004, 12:06

I really like AS it was a year after that that I got into The Stranglers and I can remember Skin Deep being in the charts. However, I can understand how it`s not everyones cup of tea but I think it was the 80`s having an effect on them. I`m glad they embraced the 80`s style and didn`t sit in the past.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

SmallPaul
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by SmallPaul » 13 Aug 2004, 13:53

Forgetting to pay the insurance premium/leaving the keys in the ignition in the US - must've cost them a fortune.

Paul

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 13 Aug 2004, 14:42

However, I can understand how it`s not everyones cup of tea but I think it was the 80`s having an effect on them

Yes what i don't like is the clean production, what i DO like are the superb songs!

Forgetting to pay the insurance premium/leaving the keys in the ignition in the US - must've cost them a fortune.

I don't think that had a big impact on their career though... i might be wrong....
--eric--
and there i came

paulinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by paulinblack » 13 Aug 2004, 14:46

Gotta be La Folie. Had they released Tramp then I'm sure that they would have gone on to be really big.

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!

GRIFF
Ugly
Ugly

Post by GRIFF » 13 Aug 2004, 16:31

For the twats that voted for continued without hugh............open yer ears....stick to the shuggie site...and join the other couple of fans at the gigs no one apart from the very few want to visit :laugh: :p :booze: let the onslaught begin :p :booze:
Griff

Paul
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Paul » 13 Aug 2004, 19:23

GRIFF wrote:For the twats that voted for continued without hugh............open yer ears....stick to the shuggie site...and join the other couple of fans at the gigs no one apart from the very few want to visit :laugh: :p :booze: let the onslaught begin :p :booze:

couldn't agree more with that.

I think their worst career move, was NOT kicking the shit out of their management and EMI, after lethargic imput by them led to a near miss 31 with btc, prevented them having a major comeback with a great album.
:upyoursmatey:
....near the nearside window.....

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 13 Aug 2004, 19:37

Have to take back earlier comments on AS for a bit. I came home earlier thinking about it and realized i had not really heard the album for years! So i put it on. Back in 85 i found it far too "clean" but now i really enjoyed it, Dave's keys on Ice Queen, Hugh's voice, it's great! Still think Mad Hatter, Punch & Judy, Spain and Uptown are among the worst stranglers tracks ever.
--eric--
and there i came

jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel » 14 Aug 2004, 00:13

Voted for La Folie but on reflection it was pissing off the media that was their worst career as they're still getting the comeback nearly 30 years later despite all their recent media friendliness.
I suppose at the time of their kidnapping journalists, they didn't expect their limelight to last as long as it did and were just out to get as publicity as possible. If they had been "nice" instead maybe now post NMH albums would have got 5* reviews, maybe the Strangs would have got Brit awards for musical contributions if not proper Brit awards, maybe Hugh wouldn't have left, maybe the red hot chilli peppers would have been lined up as their support in some eastern European country.
Or it could be something else.
STEVE

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 14 Aug 2004, 00:28

Worst career move they ever made was the decision not to swear in their songs.....

think about it, the first four albums were littered with foul language, 'shit', 'fuck' & 'fucking' being the most common ones (although I'm struggling to think of anything on 'Black & White'.doh!)...also used 'Wog' which didn't harm them!...

....next time they really use foul language on their albums (apart from a little 'fuck!' on 'Money') is on 'Norfolk Coast'! One of the band's most critically acclaimed albums more than likely due to the use of 'fuck' on 'Into The Fire' & 'Sanfte Kuss'

imho!

My advice to The Stranglers: Swear more on record in future, guys! You're called 'The Stranglers'..please try & act a bit 'ard and live up to the image for chrissakes!..
:upyoursmatey: