Strangler fans, what class do they come from?

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Strangler fans, what class do they come from?

Working Class
68%
Middle Class
21%
Upper Class
7%
Other (the gutter, sewer etc.. just kidding)
4%

Total votes: 68

porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Strangler fans, what class do they come from?

Post by porkymeat » 15 Jun 2013, 12:13

The punks I knew in the 70s and 80s may have lived in squats but their mums and dads had 4 and 5 bedroom detached houses.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .

kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack » 16 Jun 2013, 09:42

Predominantly working class and predominantly white male in the beginning. In my experience, as a youth, middle class people were more likely to be into Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes...album bands. The working class would buy more singles and the early punk days were more about singles than albums, so maybe simple economics was a factor. Over the years the whole class thing has changed. If middle class begins with having a "profession" then most people I know aren't middle class but they often earn more money so "working class" is now harder to define.
As the Stranglers evolved, so did their audience and the fanbase is probably as diverse as the music and interests of the band.
That said, I still think the majority of hardcore Stranglers fans are white working class males who got into the band in 1977. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who disagree.

MiB81
Ugly
Ugly

Post by MiB81 » 16 Jun 2013, 11:41

Too many School Mam jokes......
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...

Rattus Anonymous
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Rattus Anonymous » 18 Jun 2013, 13:04

bill wrote:Are you asking what "class" we came from? Or what class we have dragged ourselves up to be? Or where are we now, apres recession?

Cos my answers would make interesting and totally contradictory reading...
The question is where you come from, not what you are now. For myself: Labour class. Bought my first singles in '79, not Stranglers but some Specials/Ska, Blondie and what else was in the chart. My first album was The River by Bruce Springsteen.

PS Thanx for your insightfull thoughts. :smile:

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 22 Jun 2013, 00:11

Perhaps this will help?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Might need to change the poll options though.
No one can win against kipple.

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 » 22 Jun 2013, 09:59

I am an Emergent Service Worker apparently.

strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch » 18 Mar 2014, 21:03

was a bricklayer back in the UK

I was always surprised how many blokes on the sites liked the Stranglers

but it's easy to forget just how big they were
well why not,I always keep my socks on

Turkey Troter

Post by Turkey Troter » 18 Mar 2014, 23:53

The history of all hitherto existing society† is the history of class struggles.
Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf, guild-master‡ and journeyman, in a word, oppressor and oppressed, stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted, now hidden, now open fight, a fight that each time ended, either in a revolutionary reconstitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the contending classes.
In the earlier epochs of history, we find almost everywhere a complicated arrangement of society into various orders, a manifold gradation of social rank. In ancient Rome we have patricians, knights, plebeians, slaves; in the Middle Ages, feudal lords, vassals, guild-masters, journeymen, apprentices, serfs; in almost all of these classes, again, subordinate gradations.
The modern bourgeois society that has sprouted from the ruins of feudal society has not done away with class antagonisms. It has but established new classes, new conditions of oppression, new forms of struggle in place of the old ones.
Can't you see can't you see that you're rocking the boat?

jaydee1964
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jaydee1964 » 19 Mar 2014, 17:25

Anyway ...born working class, now middle class aspirations ...how do we class middle class anyway .owning your own home through sheer hard graft? ..not spending all your money in the pub and the bookies.
I personally know some upper class people that fritter thier money away this way ...its a wierd one .

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."