Best Of The "Baz"-Era Albums

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Best Baz Warne-era Stranglers album

Norfolk Coast
43%
Suite XVI
33%
Giants
24%

Total votes: 63

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Best Of The "Baz"-Era Albums

Post by Jon the Impaler » 11 Jun 2013, 17:12

StanInBlack wrote:The best songs on Giants don't even hold a candle to the average ones on Coast or Suite, IMO... I see it as a massive mis-step on the quality front. It's not even interesting in the same way that WIR or CDG could be considered interesting either.
For many , many MANY years I hated WIR - couldn't even bring myself to play it I hated it so much . Then , last year I gave it a chance and found it listenable in places ( oddly I've also found London Calling by some other band listenable recently ) , it is by no means a classic , but what was never in doubt was it was very well produced , now to add to that though I find it good in places - and yes Stan , it is interesting and different and does have a quality to it . I don't love it , but I don't hate it any more - apart from maybe the cover version and Daddy's Riding which I'm not keen on . To me its the new Stranglers album oddly enough . I personally would have loved Giants to have been as well produced as that . While NC and Suite aren't as good or solid as the first 4 albums , they are up there with any of the albums subsequently released ie La Folie , Feline etc - they are to me of that sort of quality . It would be interesting to see what direction the band take if there is another album - keep the Giants formula , go with the more traditional sound along the lines of NC /Suite ..... or something totally different . Odd really that the one that the media have picked as being a complete barnstormer of an album is probably the one which divides actual fans the most ..... if Giants had been released after WIR I guess I would not have been disappointed , but after NC and Suite ..... thats a different story entirely .
All quiet ..........

Josh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Josh » 11 Jun 2013, 23:46

StanInBlack wrote:Predictably, I disagree with literally everything you've said about Giants being superior to Suite XVI. But hey, horses for courses! :lol:
I dunno, I just feel that Giants was an attempt to do something different, even though it didn't quite work. I still feel they miss Paul a bit, especially on record.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye

curfew61
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by curfew61 » 28 Feb 2015, 13:07

As studio Albums I PREFER Suite XVI by a mile. More from the point that played live the tunes seem heavier and more in your face. Summat Outta for me is bliss with JJ,s bass sounding like it should. For me Norfolk Coast is a good record and especially the title Song. Giants for me is a excellent album let down in places by some dodgy lyrics. I to agree it seemed to want to be a bit different but was not quite there for the reason I have mentioned. Interesting question I guess I certainly can not fully answer with my opinion and so many good live tunes have been spawned from these records Indeed Freedom Is Insane, Summat, Lowlands, Mercury, Spectre , Norfolk, Lost Control and Tuckers Grave for starters are all worthy Live Stranglers tunes which deserve to be aired. So for me I suppose if any of the Baz era tunes cut it Live They get the Thumbs up which from my ramblings would seem to be quite a lot.
" YOU SAY YOUR MY AMIGO "

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 01 Mar 2015, 00:05

'Freedom Is Insane', 'Time Was Once On Our Side' and to a lesser extent 'Mercury Rising' are some of the best material that The Stranglers have recorded since Hugh left. The rest of 'Giants' is ok too aapart the the first and last tracks IMHO.

'Norfolk Coast' and 'Suite 16' are both fine albums but they both contain weak tracks. They' all deserve a respectable 7/10 methinks.

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody » 01 Mar 2015, 09:34

1. Norfolk Coast (by a head from)

2. Suite XVI (several lengths ahead of)

3. Giants

This is based, as much as anything, on how much I play each of them. They all surpass the Mark II albums by some distance. Best track of the lot? NC itself. Just listen to that thundering bass - that's JJ saying "I'm back!".
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.

Josh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Josh » 01 Mar 2015, 10:18

Norfolk Coast 100%. The other two I can take or leave, barring a few songs from each.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye