BEST SONG ON 'LA FOLIE'

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

What is the best song on 'La Folie'?

Non Stop
3%
Everybody Loves You When You're Dead
12%
Tramp
24%
Let Me Introduce You To The Family
12%
Ain't Nothing To It
2%
The Man They Love To Hate
21%
Pin Up
2%
It Only Takes Two To Tango
No votes
Golden Brown
9%
How To Find True Love And Happiness In The Present Day
5%
La Folie
9%

Total votes: 97

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

BEST SONG ON 'LA FOLIE'

Post by StanInBlack » 06 Jun 2013, 21:50

I'm guessing that this will be interesting, because it's not just "the one with Golden Brown on it", but it also has the great "single that never was" in 'Tramp', the excellent 'Let Me Introduce You To The Family', the fucking CLASSIC 'The Man They Love To Hate', amongst other interesting selections. While this was clearly The Stranglers attempt to create a more accessible record after The Gospel According To The Meninblack, and it is chock full of hooks and has a great production, it's still very very much off the wall. Besides, I just wanted an excuse to talk about my favourite Stranglers album :lol: (was joint-first with 'The Raven', but I think I've listened too much to 'The Raven' over the years, whereas this album is still very much doing it for me... 'The Raven' will have to be content with second place for the moment).

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: BEST SONG ON 'LA FOLIE'

Post by theraven1979 » 06 Jun 2013, 21:54

Jeeze - That's like having kids and asking me to pick a favourite!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack » 06 Jun 2013, 21:57

Yeah, tell me about it! There's many Stranglers albums that I could look at the tracklisting and go "yeah, that's easily my favourite track", but when it comes to this record I really really struggle to choose just one. In fact, I haven't voted for a track on this myself yet because I'm finding it seriously difficult to make a decision... it's one of those albums! :lol:

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack » 06 Jun 2013, 22:01

Actually, to make it harder I should have added the extra tracks from around this era as well: 'Vietnamerica', 'Cruel Garden', 'Strange Little Girl'... the forum would probably fucking implode or something :lol:

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 06 Jun 2013, 22:10

Done - I feel dirty now though.

That said it's my fave at the mo. Changes every week with this album.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 » 06 Jun 2013, 22:40

I cannot choose - To me it is the perfect album. Golden Brown sits in just right with all the other tracks. :grin: :grin: :grin:

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by parasiteinblack » 07 Jun 2013, 00:06

To be honest it's one of my least favourite Stranglers albums but there's a few corkers on there.
I like Non Stop, TMTLTH and How to find... especially.
Golden Brown and La Folie are class as well, but I have voted for Family as I think it's one of the great underrated Stranglers singles and one that always gets me poncing about in the kitchen.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack » 07 Jun 2013, 01:30

Yeah, 'Family' is a fucking killer track, IMO... even after all the years of knowing this album I still haven't heard guitar work quite like the stuff Hugh provides on this track... not to mention is supremely catchy, which is no mean feat since the hooks aren't really in the chorus... the verse is the singalong part, and the middle 8 (with the keyboard bit) is probably the bit that sticks in the cranium the most!

I'll never understand why anyone wouldn't rate this album at least Top 3 in their Stranglers personal favourites. I mean, that's how much I love this album. Any indifference towards it or hatred is just beyond my comprehension... I honestly don't understand what there is to shrug over or dislike here!

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by parasiteinblack » 07 Jun 2013, 07:55

StanInBlack wrote:Yeah, 'Family' is a fucking killer track, IMO... even after all the years of knowing this album I still haven't heard guitar work quite like the stuff Hugh provides on this track... not to mention is supremely catchy, which is no mean feat since the hooks aren't really in the chorus... the verse is the singalong part, and the middle 8 (with the keyboard bit) is probably the bit that sticks in the cranium the most!

I'll never understand why anyone wouldn't rate this album at least Top 3 in their Stranglers personal favourites. I mean, that's how much I love this album. Any indifference towards it or hatred is just beyond my comprehension... I honestly don't understand what there is to shrug over or dislike here!
I think a lot of it sounds limp. Vinyl helps it but I had the CD for many years first and sounded a bit dull. There are some great tracks on it as I mentioned, but I enjoy it a lot less than many of their other albums.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack » 07 Jun 2013, 07:58

Its a tough call, but I'm going for Let me Introduce you to the family. One of my favorite Stranglers songs.

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 07 Jun 2013, 09:12

Its funny here , but their most popular ( outside fans anyway) song ever is yet to feature . I went for Hate ...... overall a very consistent album , not my favourite by any means but it stands the test of time and I'd say it was their last really solid album up until Norfolk and Suite . I like most songs on this but GB is not one of my favourites and though I like Tramp , I could never understand the fuss about it not being a single - I also like the title track .
All quiet ..........

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula » 07 Jun 2013, 15:02

If they'd followed 'Golden Brown' with 'Tramp' it would be a better world we live in... :)
ManInBrown