New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: New keyboard player

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 15:48
Cells&Plasma wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 11:28 Again....I ask this Question which you ignored before...can you give us the Date and Venue of your first Stranglers' Gig please?
Has Stan actually even seen Hugh with The Stranglers?
I don't see what relevance any of this has towards my feelings towards the current line-up of the band. In fact, I'll tell you both how much relevance it has to the discussion: none, unless you're trying to turn the thread into some dick-swinging "I was there first"/"I was there before you" contest, which is something that ultimately I don't give a shit about and is a line of conversation that's best taken to the average R.E.M. forum where it belongs. Either of you could tell me that you saw The Stranglers live in 1975 and I'd be like "so? what you want? a medal?" ... Of course, I've seen the band live plenty - but gigs in general have always been secondary to recordings for me in terms of importance, and this goes for every single band that I'm into - not just The Stranglers. You could have a band that's amazing live, but if the records are crap then I'm not interested as ultimately it's the records that last. With that in mind, it's understandable that post-Hugh Stranglers fans should put so much emphasis on the gigs as opposed to the records - they haven't put out many good ones since Hugh left 31 years ago, after all.
It was a simple question..a Date and Venue would have been ideal. Nobody is judging anybody but you seem to have an issue with it...as you do with most things.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

MrBlack77 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 15:10 I was at Bradford Preston Manchester and the ally pally. Bradford was the best but nothing special. Huge doing his dressing up as a school teacher bit👎
How good was that classic in time...school mam dressed for the occasion lol
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 16:15
StanInBlack wrote:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 15:48

Has Stan actually even seen Hugh with The Stranglers?
I don't see what relevance any of this has towards my feelings towards the current line-up of the band. In fact, I'll tell you both how much relevance it has to the discussion: none, unless you're trying to turn the thread into some dick-swinging "I was there first"/"I was there before you" contest, which is something that ultimately I don't give a shit about and is a line of conversation that's best taken to the average R.E.M. forum where it belongs. Either of you could tell me that you saw The Stranglers live in 1975 and I'd be like "so? what you want? a medal?" ... Of course, I've seen the band live plenty - but gigs in general have always been secondary to recordings for me in terms of importance, and this goes for every single band that I'm into - not just The Stranglers. You could have a band that's amazing live, but if the records are crap then I'm not interested as ultimately it's the records that last. With that in mind, it's understandable that post-Hugh Stranglers fans should put so much emphasis on the gigs as opposed to the records - they haven't put out many good ones since Hugh left 31 years ago, after all.
It was a simple question..a Date and Venue would have been ideal. Nobody is judging anybody but you seem to have an issue with it...as you do with most things.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
One would have thought that witnessing Hugh with The Stranglers in the live setting as well as listening to the albums would form part of the overall process of becoming some kinda expert on all things Hugh & The Stranglers. I think the live experience is all part of that and not just listening to the albums alone in a cellar gorging on Pizza and Diet Coke whilst furiously tapping away on the computer 24/7 and dreaming of HAC.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 20:21 I think the live experience is all part of that and not just listening to the albums alone in a cellar gorging on Pizza and Diet Coke whilst furiously tapping away on the computer 24/7 dreaming of HAC.
Well, if that's how you want to spend your time, that's your prerogative innit? I thought your preference was for Famous Grouse and KFC, but evidently I stand corrected :smile:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 17:31
MrBlack77 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 15:10 I was at Bradford Preston Manchester and the ally pally. Bradford was the best but nothing special. Huge doing his dressing up as a school teacher bit👎
Yes it was worth the ticket price alone to see Hugh in his school masters outfit, a bit dodgy but very funny, a bit sinister to? But Hugh pulled it off, that will never be performed again, when Hugh did it solo some years ago it just didn't work for me, just sounded lame. Lt Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

As I remember it was the female guest on stage dressed as the school teacher, not Hugh himself.Perhaps I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Ruby wrote:As I remember it was the female guest on stage dressed as the school teacher, not Hugh himself.Perhaps I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Yes, I think you're right in saying that they dressed the young lady up.
Also I remember, but unfortunately not where, Hugh asked for six of the best of one participant but only took five.
The punisher was very enthusiastic, even turning around to deliver strokes backhand.
I reckon Hugh's bottom had wished it had never been born that evening!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 21:18
toilerinblack wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 17:31
Yes it was worth the ticket price alone to see Hugh in his school masters outfit, a bit dodgy but very funny, a bit sinister to? But Hugh pulled it off, that will never be performed again, when Hugh did it solo some years ago it just didn't work for me, just sounded lame. Lt Kudu.
Yes i agree with you too on that front song's like that will never be quite the same again,that's why i feel the recordings are great which you can listen to forever but the live experiance along with certain memories are also priceless,that's why forums like this are great because fan's can relive their experiances with a difference of opinion's but still having the same thing in common....The music of the stranglers!
To me this band which has been going for all these years now doesn't really matter in which point in time anybody saw them it's just good seeing this band live full stop. The live experinace in itself along with the recordings are both as good as each other it's just an individual preference,when you look at it the recordings are timeless forever and whenever you want to listen to any of them they are always there for you to listen to, where as the gigs were great to go at the time but are now just good faded memories,so for me anyway i'm glad i saw what i did and have the music i have... and that's it really in a nutshell.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 16:12 I don't see what relevance any of this has towards my feelings towards the current line-up of the band.
I don't necessarily think you have to have seen a band to appreciate them.

I love the 60ft Dolls but despite being at a gig I was so wasted I don't even remember being there.

Magazine are probably my 2nd fave band but I've never seen them - I had tickets to their comeback but never made it.

And I love the Buzzcocks to bits and absorbed all their back catalogue as a teenager and learnt all the songs but I hadn't seen them as I was at primary school whilst they were active - however, I did see them in 1989 when they returned - the burst of opening song, I Don't Know What To Do With My Life was incredible - the whole place instantly went mental.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 21:30 As I remember it was the female guest on stage dressed as the school teacher, not Hugh himself.Perhaps I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Yes I remember as well he sometimes pulled a bloke from the audience, to show he wasn't sexist :smt005 of course in this woke Snowflake world of Today where even if God forbid you actually make a joke about anything the snowflakes cancel you, there is no way that the Stranglers would have got away with it now, it just shows how society has changed for the better and the worst, I used to love Dick Emery in the 70s and he had a gay character called Clarence who wore extravagant clothes and colours and said Hi Honky Yonks, a total stereotype but could anyone really take offence? To balance things he had a scary sex mad spinster called Hetty who was Hetrosexual and desperate for a man, she even broke into a prison looking for a man, but the prisoners threw her out and said they weren't that desperate, I hate prejudice against anyone but the snowflakes have taken light comedy out context and made the world a place of Paranoia where you have to think about every word you say, I have a black girlfriend and I asked her if she was offended if someone says she is black and she said no as I am proud to be black and to be called black rather than a person of colour etc, sorry for the novel, but it was Hughs dodgy School Mam peformance that got me thinking, I apologise in advance if I have offended anyone. Lt Kudu. :smt013
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Well you haven't offended me but no doubt your mate on here will take umbrage.I remember Larry Grayson used to take the piss out of himself for being gay and the audience and TV viewers found it hilarious but we were all laughing along with him, not AT him.John Inman too in are you being served.No hate or homphobia, just fun.
Last edited by Ruby on 24 Oct 2021, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:
Ruby wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 21:30 As I remember it was the female guest on stage dressed as the school teacher, not Hugh himself.Perhaps I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Yes I remember as well he sometimes pulled a bloke from the audience, to show he wasn't sexist :smt005 of course in this woke Snowflake world of Today where even if God forbid you actually make a joke about anything the snowflakes cancel you, there is no way that the Stranglers would have got away with it now, it just shows how society has changed for the better and the worst, I used to love Dick Emery in the 70s and he had a gay character called Clarence who wore extravagant clothes and colours and said Hi Honky Yonks, a total stereotype but could anyone really take offence? To balance things he had a scary sex mad spinster called Hetty who was Hetrosexual and desperate for a man, she even broke into a prison looking for a man, but the prisoners threw her out and said they weren't that desperate, I hate prejudice against anyone but the snowflakes have taken light comedy out context and made the world a place of Paranoia where you have to think about every word you say, I have a black girlfriend and I asked her if she was offended if someone says she is black and she said no as I am proud to be black and to be called black rather than a person of colour etc, sorry for the novel, but it was Hughs dodgy School Mam peformance that got me thinking, I apologise in advance if I have offended anyone. Lt Kudu. :smt013
mate, have you ever taken your girlfriend to a Stranglers concert and have they played IFLAW?

Or has she just listened to it off the album?

Sorry to ask and it really isn't a loaded question, but I'm interested in what a young black person today might think when hearing that word today..

(yes I know it's meant to be an anti racism song and all that..,)

BTW I generally agree with what your saying about the oversensitivities of today..
I Hate You !