This Song - Behind The Scenes

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: This Song - Behind The Scenes

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 21:41
8088 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 14:10
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 13:48 Interesting that they've used an instrumental version for the background music. I say that because Baz's voice is so distracting on the "proper" version that I hadn't really noticed how less than ideal the bass sound on this is.
How would you have done it?
I would have attempted to dissuade them from recording the song in the first place, as I don't think it's particularly great to begin with. There's a certain type of Stranglers fan that simply hears a loud bass and thinks "wow, JJ's bass is amazing!" without any regard for anything else other than it's loud and you can hear it. Firstly, I think JJ - if anything - is holding back in his performance, I would have preferred more attack. It sounds like JJ is tickling the strings with the volume turned up. I also would have eased off slightly on the treble - comparing the bass sound on this vs. the bass sound on, say, "Tank" is like day and night.
I think the "trademark JJ sound" has plagued most recordings Mk3 onwards - primarily because they keep getting it wrong, on some songs it even sounds like they've added overdrive which really kills it.

Apart from that, the JJ sound (even if it could've been rendered accurately) doesn't suit every song - though JJ appears to have acknowledged that on DM.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 21:53
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 21:41

I would have attempted to dissuade them from recording the song in the first place, as I don't think it's particularly great to begin with. There's a certain type of Stranglers fan that simply hears a loud bass and thinks "wow, JJ's bass is amazing!" without any regard for anything else other than it's loud and you can hear it. Firstly, I think JJ - if anything - is holding back in his performance, I would have preferred more attack. It sounds like JJ is tickling the strings with the volume turned up. I also would have eased off slightly on the treble - comparing the bass sound on this vs. the bass sound on, say, "Tank" is like day and night.
I think the "trademark JJ sound" has plagued most recordings Mk3 onwards - primarily because they keep getting it wrong, on some songs it even sounds like they've added overdrive which really kills it.

Apart from that, the JJ sound (even if it could've been rendered accurately) doesn't suit every song - though JJ appears to have acknowledged that on DM.
Well JJ has varied the sound on DM, some have his trademark boom and others don't. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

JJ doesn't actually play on Something's going to kill me does he?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 23:47 JJ doesn't actually play on Something's going to kill me does he?
No Sir its all programmed, but Baz plays Guitar on the song. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 23:57
jason wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 23:47 JJ doesn't actually play on Something's going to kill me does he?
No Sir its all programmed, but Baz plays Guitar on the song. Lt Kudu.
It would have been funny if it was a massive hit like Golden Brown without JJ again! :lol:
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

I do like the instrumental. I also like Baz singing on the album version. I guess I just like the song.

I hope instrumentals of all of Dark Matters will be available at some point.
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 13:48 Interesting that they've used an instrumental version for the background music. I say that because Baz's voice is so distracting on the "proper" version that I hadn't really noticed how less than ideal the bass sound on this is.
Dunno about the bass sound but to me This Song is a bit of a throwaway kind of song in the context of an excellent album. I mean the subject matter is just weak and meaninglessness, in total contrast to everything else surrounding it on the album.

And I'm not a fan of Baz's exaggerated pronunciation of box and glue etc, although I think his vocals are great on other songs on the album.

I suppose it could've made successful a hit single once upon a time though...
I Hate You !
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

aldinblack wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 09:41 This Song is a bit of a throwaway kind of song in the context of an excellent album. I mean the subject matter is just weak and meaninglessness, in total contrast to everything else surrounding it on the album.
Apart from This Song and If Something's, there aren't any lyrically strong or meaningful songs on the album - that's not a problem for me and I find This Song lyrics far more engaging than standard Stranglers fare, as I don't find jealousy, obsession and heartbreak meaningless.

What songs on DM would you say aren't weak and meaningless?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

8088 wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 09:41 This Song is a bit of a throwaway kind of song in the context of an excellent album. I mean the subject matter is just weak and meaninglessness, in total contrast to everything else surrounding it on the album.
Apart from This Song and If Something's, there aren't any lyrically strong or meaningful songs on the album - that's not a problem for me and I find This Song lyrics far more engaging than standard Stranglers fare, as I don't find jealousy, obsession and heartbreak meaningless.

What songs on DM would you say aren't weak and meaningless?
I have to disagree because for me songs like Water, Stallion, even Moon are strong subjects to write about.
And of course the Dave song is.
So is Payday, although yes we've had songs about that before..

Anyway it's all a matter of opinion and if you find This Song interesting then I'm glad you're enjoying it..
I Hate You !
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

The drums are a bit euuuuuwwww on this, just hit hard, crash, bang, wallop, granted he’s faster than Jet, but lacks the subtlety of Jet. I don’t like overly busy drumming, that seems to be just hitting hard for the sake if it, and that’s something Jet Black never was (with the exception of Hitman, but that was a drum machine so it doesn’t really count)
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Jake wrote:The drums are a bit euuuuuwwww on this, just hit hard, crash, bang, wallop, granted he’s faster than Jet, but lacks the subtlety of Jet. I don’t like overly busy drumming, that seems to be just hitting hard for the sake if it, and that’s something Jet Black never was (with the exception of Hitman, but that was a drum machine so it doesn’t really count)
Well it's a crash bang wallop kind of song designed to grab attention so again I think it's just hit single material and nothing more than that.
I Hate You !
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

It hasn’t made that much of an impact to be a hit single though has it?

I guess almost half a million views on YouTube in a month is not bad, are they watching for the stranglers or the Psycho football guy or a bit of both?