dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by parasiteinblack »

Midweek chart is out....

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/a ... rt-update/

Unsurprisingly there's a big drop, but pleasantly surprising to see it's still in there at number 66 so a small chance of a second week in the top 100 if it can hang on til Friday...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

Still in the charts in 30 minutes ?
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

Not in the chart this week
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jeromeinparis wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 17:46 Not in the chart this week
When I look at the abmonitation of music in the Charts I despair, Shit like Ann Marie, Billy Eillish I could go on, at least DM was in their for a bit, happy for band, but we know it's a fucking great album and that's all that matters, the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of Darkness. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

No surprises there, then. It's ultimately clear what's happened - everyone who was ever going to buy it pre-ordered it and once all of those pre-orders were taken into account for the first week, sales slowed to a crawl. The fact that it was all physical copies and couldn't crack the streaming chart suggested the band were essentially preaching to the converted as per usual.
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 20:03 When I look at the abmonitation of music in the Charts I despair, Shit like Ann Marie, Billy Eillish I could go on, at least DM was in their for a bit, happy for band, but we know it's a fucking great album and that's all that matters, the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of Darkness. Lt Kudu.
I knew it'd only be a matter of time before someone turned up with some good old "old man yelling at clouds" schtick, and there it is!
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

StanInBlack wrote:
No surprises there, then. It's ultimately clear what's happened - everyone who was ever going to buy it pre-ordered it and once all of those pre-orders were taken into account for the first week, sales slowed to a crawl. The fact that it was all physical copies and couldn't crack the streaming chart suggested the band were essentially preaching to the converted as per usual.
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 20:03 When I look at the abmonitation of music in the Charts I despair, Shit like Ann Marie, Billy Eillish I could go on, at least DM was in their for a bit, happy for band, but we know it's a fucking great album and that's all that matters, the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of Darkness. Lt Kudu.
I knew it'd only be a matter of time before someone turned up with some good old "old man yelling at clouds" schtick, and there it is!
Old man yelling at the clouds could also describe you and your constant attack on the current Stranglers albums success could it not?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ricam wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:21 Old man yelling at the clouds could also describe you and your constant attack on the current Stranglers albums success could it not?
No. It says a lot about you that you take it so personally, though :smile:
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

StanInBlack wrote:
ricam wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:21 Old man yelling at the clouds could also describe you and your constant attack on the current Stranglers albums success could it not?
No. It says a lot about you that you take it so personally, though Image
It's just the same charge you have levelled at Lt Kudu is it not?
Chill out Stan.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 20:03
When I look at the abmonitation of music in the Charts I despair, Shit like Ann Marie, Billy Eillish I could go on, at least DM was in their for a bit, happy for band, but we know it's a fucking great album and that's all that matters, the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of Darkness. Lt Kudu.

Billy Eillish is not the worst (dives for cover), but who wants to be in the mainstream anyway no?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:31 Billy Eillish is not the worst (dives for cover), but who wants to be in the mainstream anyway no?
Billie Eilish's music is categorically not my thing, but in pop music terms what her and her brother are doing is far more interesting than large swathes of it. As for the chart - it's not really relevant in the internet age, is it? This whole focusing on the charts that people have done since Dark Matters was released is the most I've ever seen anyone give a shit about the charts for years, and it's no surprise to find that it's mostly people of an age where the charts were what mattered when they were younger, and have yet to perhaps come to terms with the fact that it's not anywhere close to the level of importance that they remember it being.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:45
Billie Eilish's music is categorically not my thing, but in pop music terms what her and her brother are doing is far more interesting than large swathes of it. As for the chart - it's not really relevant in the internet age, is it? This whole focusing on the charts that people have done since Dark Matters was released is the most I've ever seen anyone give a shit about the charts for years, and it's no surprise to find that it's mostly people of an age where the charts were what mattered when they were younger, and have yet to perhaps come to terms with the fact that it's not anywhere close to the level of importance that they remember it being.
Absolutely. I don’t really know her but heard something and thought at least she can sing, writes her own material and the like.

I know nothing about the current state of the charts to be honest, as you suggest it doesn’t seem have the same importance it once had. I looked at an album chart, possibly the week before Dark Matters and was struck by the number of reissues and old albums around the top 20, Marillion Fugazi and Metallica black album reissues, also seeing Floyd Dark side of the Moon and Queens Greatest apparently high in the charts says a lot about the current state of the music charts. It makes me wonder how accurate it can really be, when a 50 year old Pink Floyd studio album and 40 year old Queen compilation are apparently riding so high after all these years, can they really be selling in such significant numbers?

It was interesting what you said elsewhere in this thread regarding the lack of impact in terms of digital/streaming that Dark Matters has had.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 20:03
Again well said...look i've said all along who gives a F**k about the charts? i don't what the hell does it mean anyway? we all love the album and that's the main thing.We all knew it was going to be a good one and it was,what's the point of having a No.1 if the albums crap,i've got tracks on DM that i will play again and again because i like them and their good,i'd prefer that anyday this way around even if it never entered the charts at all in the first place.I love your description of the Stranglers stuck out like a beam of light in a dungeon of darkness VERY GOOD!