Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah I'm kinda done with it now. It was a great week and great to see the top 5 placing but time to file it away for me. One thing is for sure though, it will be played more than Giants.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

I'm still not done with it yet. Not really sure where'd I'd rank it, I prefer it to Suite and Giants at least.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I actually really liked most of Giants so I'm still not entirely sure whether I prefer Dark Matters yet. I only thought Boom Boom was the weak track on Giants. I think the last four albums have been all been quite strong.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

jason wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 22:32 I actually really liked most of Giants so I'm still not entirely sure whether I prefer Dark Matters yet. I only thought Boom Boom was the weak track on Giants. I think the last four albums have been all been quite strong.
Agree, all very good, but I’d just about put Giants at the bottom of the four. Not really a criticism when you listen to DM, S16 & NC though, as they are all excellent.
Still loving DM, not tiring of it (or skipping any tracks)
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I've taken a break from album for a few days, but the more I listen, the only minor criticism I will make is the snare Sound on some of the tracks, it sounds very muffled, but the if you should see Dave song has a nice full fat snare sound, but I guess that's the sound Jim wanted on the drums? Or the band? I Just prefer a crisper snare sound, and where it ranks in the lineup of the Classic Stranglers albums? It's far to early to say? But I think they have genuinely tried new things on this album which surely has to be commended even if your not a fan of Baz and Jim, I mean Disco, Opera, Punk that's quite something with the Fifth Beatles stamp all over it. Lt Kudu. :smt006
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 16:49 and where it ranks in the lineup of the Classic Stranglers albums? It's far to early to say?
I never try to rank them in any kind of preference - it'll depend on what mood I'm in at the time.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

My first post for years. Interesting to read the different reviews of DM on here - plenty of contrasting opinions which is always a good thing. For what it's worth I think the album is an absolute cracker! A huge relief after the long wait following the underwhelming Giants. I love the inventiveness, the quirkiness, the variety and the fact there's the good old Stranglers menace in plentiful evidence. Like some others, I prefer to listen to whole albums in one go without skipping tracks and as a body of work I think it is up there with Mk.1's best given its context. No, really! It may not have the youthful vigour of an early Mk.1 offering but quality oozes throughout DM and there are no weak tracks. I think I've already listened to it more than any other post-Hugh output and I can't see me putting it away for a while yet.

A band of this vintage has no right to put out an album like this, particularly when a key member passes away during its construction, but the Stranglers have achieved it. Fucking brilliant!
Grayo Matters!
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Grayo Matters! »

Well I bloody love it! Constantly on repeat daily!
Fly straight with nice to be back :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

kincajou wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:39 My first post for years. Interesting to read the different reviews of DM on here - plenty of contrasting opinions which is always a good thing. For what it's worth I think the album is an absolute cracker! A huge relief after the long wait following the underwhelming Giants. I love the inventiveness, the quirkiness, the variety and the fact there's the good old Stranglers menace in plentiful evidence. Like some others, I prefer to listen to whole albums in one go without skipping tracks and as a body of work I think it is up there with Mk.1's best given its context. No, really! It may not have the youthful vigour of an early Mk.1 offering but quality oozes throughout DM and there are no weak tracks. I think I've already listened to it more than any other post-Hugh output and I can't see me putting it away for a while yet.

A band of this vintage has no right to put out an album like this, particularly when a key member passes away during its construction, but the Stranglers have achieved it. Fucking brilliant!
Sir a great post, great positive post. Lt Kudu.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Grayo Matters! wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:55 Well I bloody love it! Constantly on repeat daily!
Fly straight with nice to be back :grin:
:smt006 :smt006

Good to see you back 8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Grayo Matters!
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Grayo Matters! »

Thanks Gizz me old mucka! 8)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

After a few days break, I'm still enjoying it, No Mans Land is making more sense, it did help that I found out what it was about though, but Down has grown on me and the Lines I really like after the angst of No Mans Land, also Man on the Moon has really grown on me, so really I like all the songs, and This song for me is possibly the weakest? But again it fits in the album, Water is just classic Stranglers and Breathe a modern Princess of the Streets, Blue Jean's in Leather have Morphed into Jasmine in her hair, oh these Stranglers boys have deff grown up with this album, but they have been clever to stick a few aggressive ones on the album just to show us they are not quite ready for Carpet Slippers just yet, and nothing wrong with Carpet Slippers, but thats another thread.Lt Kudu.