dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:It would have been perhaps more impressive if they'd been able to achieve this at a time when the charts weren't truly fucked and they actually mattered, either pre-Spotify or even pre-Napster when people were actually going out and buying music. In an era when new entries generally chart high and then topple down the chart rapidly the following week, and in a week of new releases where the bands only real competition was the Manic Street Preachers, they still managed to get beaten by Steps. Also, the fact that they haven't released an album in a decade and the press surrounding Dave's death possibly helped the record more than the quality of the music itself.

I mean, good on them, they've managed a Top 5 album - but let's not pretend it's charted high on the strength of the music on the album when rather it's just been down to circumstances and the state of the music industry in general. It would have meant far more if Norfolk Coast had achieved this, or even Suite XVI.
jeez, you really are Relentless...
I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Decent. That Manics album absolutely should be number 1 though. Fantastic album

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

The Manics album sounds pretty good but not as interesting as Dark Matters imo.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 21:15 Decent. That Manics album absolutely should be number 1 though. Fantastic album

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I was not overly impressed by The Ultra Vivid Lament, listened through and can hear what the ‘channeling their ABBA’ comment is about, which isn’t really my thing. I’m not sure if I’ll try again.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

StanInBlack wrote:It would have been perhaps more impressive if they'd been able to achieve this at a time when the charts weren't truly fucked and they actually mattered, either pre-Spotify or even pre-Napster when people were actually going out and buying music. In an era when new entries generally chart high and then topple down the chart rapidly the following week, and in a week of new releases where the bands only real competition was the Manic Street Preachers, they still managed to get beaten by Steps. Also, the fact that they haven't released an album in a decade and the press surrounding Dave's death possibly helped the record more than the quality of the music itself.

I mean, good on them, they've managed a Top 5 album - but let's not pretend it's charted high on the strength of the music on the album when rather it's just been down to circumstances and the state of the music industry in general. It would have meant far more if Norfolk Coast had achieved this, or even Suite XVI.
So a team wins the Premier League with 80 points. However, as the team the year before got 90 the team with 80 can’t really be classed as Champions.

That’s the principle of your argument and it’s tosh.

Golden Brown didn’t get to number one but was the 11th best selling single in 1982, selling more than most number ones. It’s how the charts work and always have.

At the end of the day it’s a fact that the Stranglers have the 4th best selling album of the week end off. It’s their highest position since Feline and it is arguably their strongest album since then yet You seem unwilling to give any credit whatsoever.

On a separate note it would seem sales dropped off in the second part of the week quite alarmingly. I did see an HMV store post on Twitter which said their best selling album of the month after Iron Maiden was now back in stock- it was Dark Matters. Seems issues with the Stranglers and the charts and releasing records never change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 20:38 I can understand why the "general public" (ugh, I hate that term) didn't take to The Gospel According to the Meninblack - it was a difficult album even for the diehards - but the relative lack of success of Dreamtime and the "Always the Sun" single will always rankle.
Yes Gospel was fuckin hard to take in at the time, it was a WTF moment on first listen, but it still was a great piece of music. I think the lack of success for Dreamtime and Always the Sun was some of us diehards were pretty much over listening to them trying to make a buck by making somewhat boring melodic music and were no longer buying the albums or singles or even going to the concerts with all that fuckin brass. Maybe it was pressure from the music labels for them to continue to make another Golden Brown, or maybe it was Hugh deciding he just wanted to become a self indulgent crooner. There was no menace or excitement for some of us old diehards in listening to the music, it lacked guts. All imho of course :)
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Number four is an excellent result. I didn't think they would hold it after the midweeks but they have. Amazing.
Let's Boogie
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Blimey - you really are a (predictable) mood killer.

We know the charts aren't what they used to be but it is the same for everyone so the comparison holds true - given the choices of all the albums released or available in one week The Stranglers came fourth. And that includes beating brilliant indie band The Vaccines (who I love) who have a large young following.

And to be surprised they were beaten by Steps shows your total lack of pop knowledge which also weakens your argument - on their next tour they are playing venues like the SSE, The Manchester Arena, the old NEC and two nights at the 02 in London. So yes, sadly Steps are bigger than The Stranglers.

Give it a rest Stan and let true Stranglers fan enjoy seeing the band we love and have loved through thick and thin enjoy a rare moment in the sun.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Many congrats on 4th and a belting album to boot With a bit of radio play of this song who knows many better. Just think a top 4 album without a certain Mr Cornball. Life in the old dog yet me thinks🐀
the taxman
Rats Rally

Post by the taxman »

Superb album they should be really proud
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'm amazed this album has got to number 4 considering other recent Stranglers albums chart placings. I'm guessing social media and the video releases has really helped them this time. They would have sold even more if they'd had any airplay like the Manics and Steps are getting! The band must be ready pleased with how well it's done. Hopefully it will do well in other countries.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 17:59 I'm amazed this album has got to number 4 considering other recent Stranglers albums chart placings. I'm guessing social media and the video releases has really helped them this time.
The social media/video releases will have mostly preached to the already converted with the possible exception of the video with Stuart Pearce in it. There's also the fact that it's been the longest gap between releases, the amount of press surrounding Dave passing away, the way the charts work in 2021 and the relative lack of competition in week of release. I'm not quite sure that airplay would have helped that much.