Worse Stranglers "career move"

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Worse Stranglers "career move"

Following up Golden Brown with La Folie
39%
Sweet Smell Of Success
3%
"American's have smaller brains"
4%
Aural Sculpture
3%
To continue after Hugh
14%
Euro-dismal
1%
Getting on the wrong side of the media
18%
Lack of decent publicity
9%
Something else (see below)
8%

Total votes: 180

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Worse Stranglers

Post by jason » 06 Jan 2018, 16:12

Jon the Impaler wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 14:30
Snowbird wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 12:51
They probably considered it.Going back to the brass section though,isn't it the case that "All day and all of the night "is spoilt by that bloody honking parping brass section which ruins an otherwise excellent cover.
They spoilt a lot of things back then by putting the bloody brass section in it - was Something Better Change also done complete with brass . How could they even consider that ?
You sound a bit brassed off mate! :grin:

Snowbird
Down In The Sewer

Post by Snowbird » 06 Jan 2018, 17:54

Something better change with a brass section!?!? Ye gods is nothing sacred? Sorry but "WHAT WE'RE THEY THINKING "?
A rope ladder of hair.A Babylon for him to climb.

aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Worse Stranglers "career move"

Post by aldinblack » 06 Jan 2018, 19:56

The brass section was a daft idea especially live

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason » 06 Jan 2018, 20:13

Calling themselves the Stranglers probably wasn't the best ever commercial decision!

Damian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Damian » 06 Jan 2018, 20:53

Jon the Impaler wrote:
Snowbird wrote:
They probably considered it.Going back to the brass section though,isn't it the case that "All day and all of the night "is spoilt by that bloody honking parping brass section which ruins an otherwise excellent cover.
They spoilt a lot of things back then by putting the bloody brass section in it - was Something Better Change also done complete with brass . How could they even consider that ?
If I remember the only time they did 'change' with Brass was at Ally Pally

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by parasiteinblack » 06 Jan 2018, 21:38

Damian wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 20:53
Jon the Impaler wrote:
Snowbird wrote:
you may be right, it was played on the 1985 but can't remember if brass present for that track? Perhaps someone with a copy of that Le Zenith gig can investigate.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 07 Jan 2018, 12:27

Damian wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 20:53
Jon the Impaler wrote:
Snowbird wrote:
That's the one I saw . I think though they did it on The Word , prior to Paul Roberts joining , JJ singing an upbeat "cheerful" version of SBC , it just didn't work IMO
And here it is ........... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjLVciyqL1U

Oh dear . Some things are really best left alone .
All quiet ..........

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler » 07 Jan 2018, 12:28

Actually - room 101 for brass and Stranglers jazz songs .
All quiet ..........

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason » 07 Jan 2018, 13:27

Strange that Janice said she wasn't a fan. I thought she seemed to like them in recent years.

Yanders
Down In The Sewer

Post by Yanders » 04 May 2018, 14:12

I don't think they had a worst career move, because I don't think they could have done things differently and been the same band with the same output.

They would be richer if they made it in America, but a long long US tour might have killed the band, or made their records more middle of the road (early).

They should be making as much money from ATS and skin deep as they do from GB, and that's got to be a marketing/promotion fault.

I think getting Paul in was a typical stranglers decision, because it was a bonkers decision, and a big part of the stranglers is making 'brave' choices. Also, wasn't Hugh keen to take on a more front man role and was becoming bored of playing the guitar? A post 1990 stranglers could have seen Hugh dancing around instead of Paul. Do any of us really want to see that?

Also, I know this was mentioned in 2004, but Paul would make an excellent Dr who.

I promise that I haven't got a crush on paul, honest.

zontar
Ugly
Ugly

Post by zontar » 04 May 2018, 20:14

I believe Mr Yanders' comments on the band vs. Americor are dead on. Witness the fate of fellow Brits Barclay James Harvest and the Strawbs. Both bands held promise. (The Strawbs' '69 debut, FROM THE WITCHWOOD, I still enjoy to this day.) Somewhere along the line, a conscious decision was made to 'break' the US via constant touring, rendering both bands more uninteresting w/each passing year. Some of the Strawbs' later stuff had merit, but BJH's work became unlistenable, even though they sold massive units compared to the Strangs. The MIB could have been b-b-b-big in America, but @ what price?